Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:10 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,778,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
But many believe there's no reason for the police to have to ever use weapons against anyone. And weren't some people in this city even calling for the abolishment of the police department?

So why should people be afraid to ride the train if we don't need armed police or even police at all?
Your posts make no sense. First of all, I don't know anyone who has said we don't need police at all, so that's definitely not a majority opinion. Also, while I personally disagree with groups like BLM, they still have the right to protest. What does any of that have to do with not wanting to ride the train through bad neighborhoods??? There are many people who don't hold negative views about all police as a whole. Your logic doesn't make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:26 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,396,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Your posts make no sense. First of all, I don't know anyone who has said we don't need police at all, so that's definitely not a majority opinion. Also, while I personally disagree with groups like BLM, they still have the right to protest. What does any of that have to do with not wanting to ride the train through bad neighborhoods??? There are many people who don't hold negative views about all police as a whole. Your logic doesn't make any sense.
Chicago BLM Activist: 'We Need to Abolish the Police' | Fox News Insider

Abolish the police? Organizers say it

Chicago Activists Are Creating A Future Without Police

“Our police is not working—we need to replace it with something new . .. It’s more than a repair. We need something new.”

Maybe the Rogers Park Peace Circle can take the Red Line down to 69th St., set up their talking pieces and soy candles on the lawn of the latest gang member responsible for a killing, and mettle out some of the "restorative justice" they're talking about.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:19 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,778,818 times
Quote:
Chicago BLM Activist: 'We Need to Abolish the Police' | Fox News Insider

Abolish the police? Organizers say it

Chicago Activists Are Creating A Future Without Police

“Our police is not working—we need to replace it with something new . .. It’s more than a repair. We need something new.”

Maybe the Rogers Park Peace Circle can take the Red Line down to 69th St., set up their talking pieces and soy candles on the lawn of the latest gang member responsible for a killing, and mettle out some of the "restorative justice" they're talking about.
Ok, but my point was, in the city of Chicago with over 3 million people, that's a very very small minority of people who hold those opinions. Outside of activists, the vast majority of people in Chicago would never want to see that happen. That's why I didn't understand how you were connecting that minority viewpoint to people not wanting to ride the train through bad neighborhoods.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,396,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Ok, but my point was, in the city of Chicago with over 3 million people, that's a very very small minority of people who hold those opinions. Outside of activists, the vast majority of people in Chicago would never want to see that happen. That's why I didn't understand how you were connecting that minority viewpoint to people not wanting to ride the train through bad neighborhoods.
I think if you re-read my post you will see that I did not attribute the views of these people to the whole city. Anyway, I will venture a guess and say that most of the activists featured in these links will not ride the trains after a certain hour either. And I bet most of them live in safe neighborhoods, far away from the violence plaguing the residents who live there everyday.

There's a certain hypocrisy about that. If the protesters truly want to make a change, they need to invest in these troubled communities. That might start with with not fearing them.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,151,994 times
Quote:
But many believe there's no reason for the police to have to ever use weapons against anyone. And weren't some people in this city even calling for the abolishment of the police department?

So why should people be afraid to ride the train if we don't need armed police or even police at all?
I think the people calling for the abolition of the CPD can be described as far left fringe groups. I don't think even most people agree that police shouldn't have the right to use lethal force. Lethal force should be reserved for situations in which police or civilians are in immediate danger (active shooters and the like).

Old 10-26-2016, 02:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,770,514 times
Quote:
I think if you re-read my post you will see that I did not attribute the views of these people to the whole city. Anyway, I will venture a guess and say that most of the activists featured in these links will not ride the trains after a certain hour either. And I bet most of them live in safe neighborhoods, far away from the violence plaguing the residents who live there everyday.

There's a certain hypocrisy about that. If the protesters truly want to make a change, they need to invest in these troubled communities. That might start with with not fearing them.
Some of them live in the communities they want to help. Many of them are performers.

Todd St. Hill lives in Washington Park. Ja'Mal Green was born and raised on Chicago's south side. Damon Williams performs on the south side in the Universal Entertainment Center at 11901 S. Loomis. I believe he currently lives on W. 111th street. Lamon Reccord definitely lives in the hood - he is a high school dropout and lives in Chatham.

Did you hear about the men of Alpha Phi Alpha, the nation's oldest black Greek-letter fraternity, marching down 79th Street in November 2015 to protest shootings in Chatham? How about the army of mothers in Englewood who gather at the scene of every shooting and patrol the streets of their neighborhood on foot? And what about the annual peace march in Grand Crossing that draws hundreds of South Siders onto the streets at the start of the school year?

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...ities-all-time

Old 11-04-2016, 08:49 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,786,336 times
I thought I would point out the fact that the Cubs went 108 years without a World Series title but within 2 months of my daughter moving there... well.... Just sayin'

Old 11-05-2016, 04:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,871,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
DePaul student beaten in attempted robbery on CTA Blue Line - Chicago Tribune[/url]
...Although this was a DePaul student, the robbery happened no where near DePaul. But you still have to be careful.
I mean...*nowhere* near. It happened in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city, a half hour from DePaul by fast car and much farther away by public transportation.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:49 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,492,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I thought I would point out the fact that the Cubs went 108 years without a World Series title but within 2 months of my daughter moving there... well.... Just sayin'
what a crazy welcome to the city! or maybe the city should be thanking her

Old 11-05-2016, 01:13 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,786,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
what a crazy welcome to the city! or maybe the city should be thanking her
She was so excited to be a part of the whole vibe. Kept sending a family group text all evening, every score, every score against... lol! We were at the local sports bar cheering them on, even tho we are avid Braves fans. Well done Cubs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago