Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:22 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times

Advertisements

You definitely need to try Italian Beef when you're here. The "Best" will always be subject to debate (Al's and Portillos are local chains that both do a good job with them)
Here are some helpful links to aid you in your search for good Italian Beef.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicag...cago-thrillist

The 31 Essential Italian Beef Joints in Chicago(land)

I'm sure some of the other posters here who have been in Chicago longer than I have their own excellent recommendations. Perhaps they will chime in as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 05:02 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Don't forget to use the stance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwOFJIw6SI

Old 06-10-2016, 06:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Thanks a lot! Now I have some places to look up .Tell me this .My brother likes thin crust(New York)pizza . We were both born in NYC .I grew up mostly in South Carolina but we visit family in NY. Are there many places in Chicago that have thin crust pizza? As for me I am really looking forward to trying deep dish pizza for the first time. I have heard about Pizza Uno but that's about it. Really looking forward to seeing the city and what the neighborhoods are like compared to our old neighborhood in NY. Our family is from Queens.It was very much an Irish/Italian neighborhood.
Piece Pizza in Wicker Park is some of the best thin crust pizza I've ever had. It took me forever to find thin crust pizza I liked when I first moved to Chicago, but this place hits the spot. Plus it has a full bar.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:10 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Don't forget to use the stance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwOFJIw6SI

Thanks for all the info! Just curious how you like Atlanta. I have my family in NYC but I have lived most of my life in Upstate South Carolina. I love the weather down here and eating out isn't too bad. More than a few New Yorkers have moved in and opened some decent pizza joints, particularly in Greenville.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! Just curious how you like Atlanta. I have my family in NYC but I have lived most of my life in Upstate South Carolina. I love the weather down here and eating out isn't too bad. More than a few New Yorkers have moved in and opened some decent pizza joints, particularly in Greenville.
Sure, enjoy!

Other than the weather, I really don't like Atlanta. It's like one giant suburb with no character and although it may be hard for some to believe, I miss the snow! Plus, the food is awful. Looking at that beef sammich page that quigboto posted almost made me cry.
I gotta get out of here before I go insane. I'd move back to Chicago in a heartbeat if the tax/financial situation weren't so bad. It's a shame what the politicians have done to the city/state.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Sure, enjoy!

Other than the weather, I really don't like Atlanta. It's like one giant suburb with no character and although it may be hard for some to believe, I miss the snow! Plus, the food is awful. Looking at that beef sammich page that quigboto posted almost made me cry.
I gotta get out of here before I go insane. I'd move back to Chicago in a heartbeat if the tax/financial situation weren't so bad. It's a shame what the politicians have done to the city/state.
That's the problem with Atlanta. There is no real downtown. I don't know what you do but maybe come over our way and check out Greenville. It's not the biggest city but it is centered on a pretty neat downtown with walkable neighborhoods and for whatever reason people just seem to like South Carolina better than Georgia. My brother is in financial services and he has done extremely well in Greenville and has turned down opportunities to work in NY to stay in Greenville. The cost of living there is much better than Atlanta. As far as the food situation in Greenville you may or may not like it better than Atlanta but my brother grew up in Queens and is pretty picky about things like Italian food and pizza and he is happy with what he has in Greenville. The area is pretty diverse too as compared to when I was a kid and most people were local. Now you meet people from all over , particularly the Northeast. BTW don't go by official population figures .They make Greenville seem small because the official population of the city is roughly 60,000 but that's just within the city limits. South Carolina has very strict annexation laws and the city of Greenville hasn't incorporated the areas that have grown up around the city since the 70s.The city plus the area that has built up around it is over 400,000 people.

Last edited by senecaman; 06-10-2016 at 08:53 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 06:12 PM

We are leaving for Chicago in the morning.I as wrong about the hotel we are are staying at being near Wrigley Field.We will be at the Chicago Marriott Downtown.I see Lou Malnati's and Pizza Uno are both close by. Any other places I should check out around there ?

Last edited by senecaman; 06-14-2016 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 PM

That's cool senecaman, that's a nice area off Michigan Ave. and you can walk to just about everything. You're on the Mag Mile so if shopping is you or your significant others thing, you'll be in nirvana.

The pizza thing is subjective. Everyone seems to love Lou Malnati's and while I think they're good, I also think they're a bit overrated. My advice is to try them all!

You're also close to Gino's East, Pizzeria Due, Pizannos and Giordano's. Remember that this time of year all of those places will be packed so plan accordingly. If you want a good pizza off the beaten path that's not too far away, check out Bella Bacinos on Wacker.

Remember that there's really three pizza styles in Chicago, Thin crust, Deep Dish and Stuffed. Stuffed has an extra crust layer on top. I really like stuffed, but again, that's just my opinion.

I'd also recommend a trip to Navy Pier. Some will say it's a tourist trap, but it's free and the views are awesome at the end of the pier.

Also, no one will dispute this one. Take an architectural river/lake boat tour. There are a bunch of them very close to where you're staying.

You should also check out the top floor of the John Hancock or Sears (Willis) Tower.

Walk down to Milliennium park and check out the Bean (aka Cloud Gate). Free

Also, while you're down there go over to Buckingham Fountain. Free

If you're into Art/Museums, go to the Art Institute

Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry. All of these are top notch.

Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium are also cool.

Also, take another spin through this thread, lots of good advice...

*Can someone help him with which train to catch from the Marriott mag mile to Wrigley?

Last edited by flamadiddle; 06-14-2016 at 07:59 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 06:27 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
CTA Trip Planners, Transit Directions

Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
Ok we stay at that hotel a lot and always enjoy going across the street to Bandera. I know there are many better places but the ambiance is nice and it is right across the street.

You are also a short walk to the Billy Goat Tavern. Overrated I suppose but ok to stop in. Remember double cheese is best, no fries.... chips!

There should be tons of festivals. I really do miss them. Nothing special just being outdoors and trying different food and drinks. Check out oak street or North avenue beaches. Pretty cool having a beach in the middle of a big city. (or on the edge I guess)

Quote:
We are leaving for Chicago in the morning.I as wrong about the hotel we are are staying at being near Wrigley Field.We will be at the Chicago Marriott Downtown.I see Lou Malnati's and Pizza Uno are both close by. Any other places I should check out around there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago