Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever kayak/canoe'd in the Chicago River?
Yes, and I'd do it again 8 20.51%
Yes, and I don't think I'll be doing it again 1 2.56%
No, but I'd be interested 21 53.85%
No, that's disgusting 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:07 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times

Advertisements

It;s not limited to the north and south branches, I've seen kayakers right through the heart, by Tribune Tower/Michigan Ave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 08:49 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
FYI, if you want to go out on Lake Michigan, they rent kayaks at Montrose Beach, I've kayaked there before, it's fun if the lake is calm.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:27 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Is there a common circuit that's done for long kayaking trips in the city? The main one I'm thinking is one that goes through the Chicago River main branch, up through the north branch of the river, through the North Shore Channel out to Lake Michigan and then down the northern lakefront back to the main branch. Is something like this done in the city? It seems like it'd be an amazing workout and way to see a grand tour of a good deal of the city.

A much, much larger circuit through the south side with the calumet river and the south branch of the Chicago river seems also possible, but that seems too ridiculous. Then there's a possible path combining parts of both as a figure 8 of sorts. I wonder how tiring that'd be.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:31 AM

138 posts, read 172,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
There's a place just south of North Ave and a block east of Elston where they rent kayaks for the river and I think go out in groups...

Home
I've rented from them in the past. They are great. You can even go out on your own. It's really not hard.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:04 AM

89 posts, read 264,702 times
I live on the north branch of the River just south of where it forks by Goose Island. Regardless of how much it may have improved, the river is still absolutely disgusting. For what it's worth, my neighbors and I, people who have a front row seat to the river every day, all agree we would never kayak in the river. On very hot days or after a rain storm when literal sewage overflow is sent to the river, it really smells. If you must kayak the river, do it on a mild day after a dry spell. I hope used condoms don't gross you out

I have kayaked in the lake many times and have no issues with that, though.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:50 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A much, much larger circuit through the south side with the calumet river and the south branch of the Chicago river seems also possible, but that seems too ridiculous. Then there's a possible path combining parts of both as a figure 8 of sorts. I wonder how tiring that'd be.
It would be awfully ugly, that's for sure.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 AM

16 posts, read 27,327 times
Default Kayaking

My husband and I did it, using one of those kayaking companies you see advertised on Groupon. We had never kayaked before, but the instructors made it super easy. The group is given instructions before we get into the kayaks. There is a group guide who explains everything and points out all the sites along the river. I always felt taken care of and was never scared of anything. Remember to wear a hat though, as you'll be out there on the river for an hour or two.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:31 AM

520 posts, read 600,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
It;s not limited to the north and south branches, I've seen kayakers right through the heart, by Tribune Tower/Michigan Ave
I saw them in that spot and thought it'd be cool to kayak. It's something I definitely want to try.

Last edited by Gramercy; 07-30-2016 at 04:41 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 AM

7 posts, read 7,170 times
Am I the only one who remembers the Dave Matthews Band bus incident? I would stay off that disgusting freeway of E Coli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: