Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 01:49 AM

3 posts, read 10,334 times

Advertisements

How is Chicago going to be in the future, I feel that the whole city has gotten much worse today than what it was 10-30 years ago, what neighborhoods in the city for the future will get better, and what neighborhoods in the city for the future will get worse?, honestly I know there is a North Side, South Side, and West Side, please be accurate because I wan't to know what neighborhoods in the future is getting worse and worse, please, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:40 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,081,982 times
In terms of affordabiliy?

In terms of crime?

In terms of property tax?

Old 07-29-2016, 10:43 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,389,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Keag View Post
How is Chicago going to be in the future, I feel that the whole city has gotten much worse today than what it was 10-30 years ago, what neighborhoods in the city for the future will get better, and what neighborhoods in the city for the future will get worse?, honestly I know there is a North Side, South Side, and West Side, please be accurate because I wan't to know what neighborhoods in the future is getting worse and worse, please, thank you
Need to define "worse." Generally speaking, assuming Chicago continues to sustain economic growth, I see the City center continuing to expand outward in all directions, taking in some currently poor areas as it does so. How far that goes depends on how well the City does economically but I can see it spreading out as far south as Bridgeport and as far west as Kedzie.

The north side will continue on its affluent path, gradually absorbing Rogers Park, Uptown, and Humboldt Park into the "Emerald City" sphere.

The NW and SW side bungalow belt neighborhoods and inner ring suburbs will become more densely populated with working class and poor Hispanic (west) and African-American (south) families. We will come to call this the "middle class," though their income levels will not be near historical middle class norms. I also think immigrants will continue to skip traditional City ports of entry and go straight to the suburbs.

The City's more troubled neighborhoods on the south and west side will continue to struggle and depopulate. Those which are near the borders of gentrification (for example East Garfield Park) could see some urban renewal but, by and large, I think you'll see these community areas become more and more "Detroit-like" with nature gradually taking back vacant lots and even streets.

The future of the suburbs is more murky. I do think the "back to the city" movement is real, and middle class people, as that term is being redefined, won't be able to afford (or want to afford) high taxes and huge houses, or tolerate long commutes. The Caucasian, white collar middle class that fueled these homogeneous communities and schools for the past half century will remain in sizeable numbers, but I think it'll shrink and won't be able to sustain all of the exburbs and even some of the traditionally solid middle class suburbs.

Obviously, a lot could change this prediction. Chicago has to continue to create white collar professional jobs for the city center and north side to continue to grow. And a sudden growth in manufacturing within Chicago could alter my predictions for the south and west sides, or the exburbs if manufacturing starts locating further out. But the above is about what I see happening based on our current trajectory.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:45 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,376,584 times
Hardly worth spending your life there!

Old 07-30-2016, 02:14 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,880,947 times
I'm getting out ASAP...taxes, cost of living, crime, and horrible political gridlock...who would live here if they didn't have to?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,063,656 times
I think the better neighborhoods (mainly North Side and loop) will get more expensive while the West and South sides will get more crime. Middle class will shrink, which is the case on much of the country

Old 07-31-2016, 03:20 AM

6,439 posts, read 6,867,397 times
In general the central city neighborhoods are getting better and the outlying areas are getting worse.

I agree that the affluent North Side will grow to include Humboldt Park as well as essentially all of West Town; Rogers Park and Uptown are more difficult because of the concentration of social services recipients, who seem to have legal rights the rest of us don't have. They can't be evicted, moved, or anything else. Albany Park could gentrify before Uptown and Rogers Park.

The near South and West sides are also affluent and will grow. The South Loop will eventually grow to meet the north end of Kenwood to form a middle class to affluent black area on the south lakefront. This process is already well along.

Working-class areas on the northwest and southwest sides are vulnerable to further decay, even while depopulating areas in the heart of the ghetto see some rehabilitation and greenfield development.

All in all, this is a much better period for Chicago than 1970-1990 but it is not without problems.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:30 PM

28 posts, read 53,706 times
Do you think neighborhoods like Mayfair, Jefferson Park, and North Park with see growing crime and a majority Hispanic population in the future?
I would love to buy in Forest Glen but I'm afraid that Chicago is pushing it's poor people west and that neighborhood might decline in years to come.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:29 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,867,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
Do you think neighborhoods like Mayfair, Jefferson Park, and North Park with see growing crime and a majority Hispanic population in the future?
I would love to buy in Forest Glen but I'm afraid that Chicago is pushing it's poor people west and that neighborhood might decline in years to come.
I think there is some vulnerability in those areas. Parts of Mayfair are already pretty grungy. It all depends on how prosperous the economy is. Forest Glen could go either way.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:27 PM

138 posts, read 170,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I think there is some vulnerability in those areas. Parts of Mayfair are already pretty grungy. It all depends on how prosperous the economy is. Forest Glen could go either way.
I'm not so sure. The area near the Forest Glen Metra station is pretty nice, though far from perfect. There is a lot of buffer around it with the Edens and the rail lines. I would say that's the most vulnerable part of Forest Glen, particularly the bit south of Foster. The rest (Edgebrook in particular) has the buffer of the forest preserves between it and the rest of the city. It really felt suburban when I lived in Jeff Park.

Also, I do not know what the OP is talking about when he says the city is getting worse. I think he is 100% wrong. The city is (mostly) nicer now than it was 30 years ago. There are some serious government problems at the municipal and state level, but the economy continues to be strong. My suspicion, echoed by many posters, is that the gentrification will continue to radiate out from downtown. It will probably follow the L lines and to a lesser degree the Metra lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago