Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordin View Post
Lololol at $900 being "too expensive." I know it's all relative but come on out to the SF Bay Area if you truly want to see some eye watering rental prices.
Perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
True. I hate to say it but, someone 'living on the fringe', such as the person you replied to, wont' generally be as up to date in this arena.
I lived in Wicker Park and I talked to my neighbors. They said P.T. went up there a lot. That's why the guy at the end of the block who rents 1 bdrs - the rent went from $900 to $1600 a month.

And really, I think it's crazy to spend over $900 for any 1 bdr... Nope... I'm gonna go "stealth living..."

Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
One of these days you need to start a thread giving us specific details on how you do that.
The abandoned building I sleep in, I sleep in an office room with carpet floor, got my own sleeping bag. And I can lock the door when I go in.

However, every morning when I leave, I have to unlock the door so I don't lock myself out.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Rents didn't go up over property taxes. They went up because landlords know, as areas get more vital, (or hip) they can charge more rent. That is all.
Yea, supply and demand.

There's certainly a will to want to sell things to the rich than the poor.

And there's always someone near the top that wants to spend more, for the same.

People like me have no need to go shopping for clothes at places like Nordstrom, Men's Wearhouse. We can buy clothes at Walmart and Target.

And the frequency that people like me actually buy clothes - much less.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:40 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Yea, supply and demand.

There's certainly a will to want to sell things to the rich than the poor.

And there's always someone near the top that wants to spend more, for the same.

People like me have no need to go shopping for clothes at places like Nordstrom, Men's Wearhouse. We can buy clothes at Walmart and Target.

And the frequency that people like me actually buy clothes - much less.
Different strokes for different folks. Do you have a job and willingly choose to be a squatter or are you unemployed? Not trying to be rude, just genuinely curious.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Do you have a job and willingly choose to be a squatter or are you unemployed? Not trying to be rude, just genuinely curious.
I actually work part-time.

But prior to that, last year I wasted some $2,000 on lawsuits for apology letters (no monetary compensation) and lost, and it got me depressed, to the point where I decided to get it back by stop paying rent to landlords. 9 months into it I'd say I got it all back, and now it's just greed. Now I'm just doing it to add revenue. Pretty much every month now I can profit. I'm basically a rich homeless guy.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:58 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Whatever happened to Jesse? That dude was a trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
That's probably him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Jesse...the one who was a cross-dresser, and liked bikes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
OP is Jesse.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Chicago may evolve into another Detroit. Or else all those white people will start moving into cheap rent black neighborhoods to displace them. Just like how Wicker Park gentrified from the 80's to 2000's.
Places with increasing rents don't devolve into Detroit. You want cheap rent, move to Detroit - you can get 1-beds there for under $700 although as Detroit recovers rents in its central area are strongly appreciating.

Quote:
Jesse? You guys picked on him for being long-term unemployed, but now you see proof in the many "Work & Employment" threads that many Engineering and STEM careers have been shot to pieces in America.
If you look for the dark spot, you'll see the dark spot, even if it's just one in a field of white.

Quote:
Oh, and maybe he has more clothes and bikes now, but they are in a 12' x 50' storage lot that he rents from for less than $175 now?
Why don't you live in that?

Old 08-09-2016, 02:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
I lived in Wicker Park and I talked to my neighbors. They said P.T. went up there a lot. That's why the guy at the end of the block who rents 1 bdrs - the rent went from $900 to $1600 a month.

And really, I think it's crazy to spend over $900 for any 1 bdr... Nope... I'm gonna go "stealth living..."
$900 really isn't much at all. Before I bought my current place I was paying $2300 for a 2/2 bed/bath, so $1150 for my share. That was below market pricing from a private landlord too. If you get some roommates you can get the rent down to $500 or so, depending on the area of course.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:44 PM

605 posts, read 711,754 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcsNbQRU5TI

Old 08-09-2016, 02:52 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
The abandoned building I sleep in, I sleep in an office room with carpet floor, got my own sleeping bag. And I can lock the door when I go in.

However, every morning when I leave, I have to unlock the door so I don't lock myself out.
How's the wi-fi there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago