Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 AM

796 posts, read 929,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Agree. The North side is shockingly white.

30's black professional?

Oak Park.

Hyde Park.

Maybe... West loop, or South loop.... but not really.

evanston is diverse also right? I think theres a good number of black people there.

and yes I agree, that the northside is predominantly white. there's really no question about that anymore.

Last edited by beaniemac; 08-22-2016 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
Thanks for the input. I think $1300/month on rent would need to be the max. Being in the Northeast, sticker shock ain't an issue at all for me. Just a little background on myself: I'm 36, born and raised outside of NYC. Lived in the Philadelphia area for 12 years now, and have no interest of planting roots in or around Philadelphia. New York and North/Central Jersey are still options, but I wanna see what else is out there...in case cost of living, fatigue of the area, etc...become issues later on down the line.
I mean, let me put it to you this way:

Absolutely nothing here is ever going to be as bad as Philadelphia.

Chicago has a very distinct and very workable system of corruption. As a person of color, you will find it easy get by once you know the rules. They aren't any more complicated than what you would find in the northeast.

It is easier to avoid many of the things you already know to watch for than it is in many other parts of the country.

In a sense, your money will buy you much more safe space than it does in Philly. The downside is that Chicago is a city-state, and you will very much be a citizen of Chicago. Literally every block here is a world unto itself, but as soon as you leave... The potential for things to go very badly instantly rises by an order of magnitude.

But like I said, it's very workable. Chicago is a city that learned to a startling degree to take money from all hands without respect for their color. Just don't ever make the mistake of forgetting to fork over the cash when demanded, because they will shake you down hard.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:33 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,215,929 times
Quote:
You're the first one that's said anything negative about CHI so far. Where are you at now...I'm guessing you're not even in Chicago anymore, right?

He's an Atlanta booster who hates Chicago who posts under many different names.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Yes...Charlotte over Atlanta. Does that bother you? If you read my responses, you would've noticed I said I don't need to be in the "black mecca". Just something that is doable and decent for blacks. If I wanted the black mecca I would strictly be looking at ATL or DC. I also mentioned that I have no interest in ATL and that I ain't sure about DC.
A lot of Atlanta boosters pop into the Chicago forums to bash the Chicago--most of whom have never lived there. They want to believe that Atlanta is on the same level as Chicago but it's not. Not even close. Honestly I think they are jealous Atlanta isn't as awesome of a city as Chicago is.

Also, don't believe when people say there aren't a lot of black professionals in Chicago. There are lots. There are also blue collar blacks in Chicago who earn good salaries (and often own rental property in addition to their jobs), who are highly conscious and intelligent, and are overall doing well for themselves. A lot of black Chicagoans are also self-employed. Cook County, IL has more black-owned businesses than any other county in the country.

Being a black person from the Philly area who is single, don't move south. I am from Chicago and I have lived in Atlanta (hated it). Atlanta is no black mecca. Now I live in Dallas and I don't like it here either. Avoid the south at all costs!

Old 08-23-2016, 06:40 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
A lot of Atlanta boosters pop into the Chicago forums to bash the Chicago--most of whom have never lived there. They want to believe that Atlanta is on the same level as Chicago but it's not. Not even close. Honestly I think they are jealous Atlanta isn't as awesome of a city as Chicago is.
But Atlanta is an awesome city in its own right. I wouldn't knock it. I don't understand this particularly strange rival.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
But Atlanta is an awesome city in its own right. I wouldn't knock it. I don't understand this particularly strange rival.
I personally feel no rivalry between Atlanta and Chicago because they are completely different and are not alike in any way.

Lots of people love Atlanta and that's cool. I lived there for years and just didn't care for it. That's just my opinion, as Atlanta was not a good experience for me. I just didn't like the overall vibe or culture of the city.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:15 AM

796 posts, read 929,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Kxr203, upper-class Black men don't tend to live in Black neighborhoods in Chicago as it turns out, the exception to this are Black police officers, and they (after probationary period) start off at $72,xxx a year.

At your age, I'm guessing you're not looking to find someone to have kids with, so you probably have a diverse dating pool.

Bronzeville is probably the most expensive Black neighborhood, and parts of east 71st street somewhere. Ask Beaniemac for the specifics.

If you are looking to have kids, Chicago needs more upper-class Black men.
both my wife and I are professional and make more than the figure you mentioned above. and we live in a predominantly black neighborhood. I don't think bronzeville is the most expensive black neighborhood. hyde park is. and after that is beverly. even though I don't think either of those neighborhoods is predominantly black. south shore in the historic jackson park highlands is also expensive as well.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 AM

362 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I mean, let me put it to you this way:

Absolutely nothing here is ever going to be as bad as Philadelphia.

Chicago has a very distinct and very workable system of corruption. As a person of color, you will find it easy get by once you know the rules. They aren't any more complicated than what you would find in the northeast.

It is easier to avoid many of the things you already know to watch for than it is in many other parts of the country.

In a sense, your money will buy you much more safe space than it does in Philly. The downside is that Chicago is a city-state, and you will very much be a citizen of Chicago. Literally every block here is a world unto itself, but as soon as you leave... The potential for things to go very badly instantly rises by an order of magnitude.

But like I said, it's very workable. Chicago is a city that learned to a startling degree to take money from all hands without respect for their color. Just don't ever make the mistake of forgetting to fork over the cash when demanded, because they will shake you down hard.
Not exactly sure of what to make of parts of this post...but, thanks anyway.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:11 AM

362 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

Also, don't believe when people say there aren't a lot of black professionals in Chicago. There are lots. There are also blue collar blacks in Chicago who earn good salaries (and often own rental property in addition to their jobs), who are highly conscious and intelligent, and are overall doing well for themselves. A lot of black Chicagoans are also self-employed. Cook County, IL has more black-owned businesses than any other county in the country.

Being a black person from the Philly area who is single, don't move south. I am from Chicago and I have lived in Atlanta (hated it). Atlanta is no black mecca. Now I live in Dallas and I don't like it here either. Avoid the south at all costs!

You know what's funny to me? I noticed that too. Why are there so many in ATL that have an issue with CHI? I don't get it. Like I said before, Atlanta was never on my radar, and DC and DFW are falling off of my radar with every passing day, I swear. Charlotte is still a consideration at this point, regardless of what anybody from Atlanta thinks. Have you thought about moving back to Chicago? If not, where would you go? Atlanta didn't work for you, and it seems like Dallas ain't working either.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You know what's funny to me? I noticed that too. Why are there so many in ATL that have an issue with CHI? I don't get it. Like I said before, Atlanta was never on my radar, and DC and DFW are falling off of my radar with every passing day, I swear. Charlotte is still a consideration at this point, regardless of what anybody from Atlanta thinks. Have you thought about moving back to Chicago? If not, where would you go? Atlanta didn't work for you, and it seems like Dallas ain't working either.
I would love to move back to Chicago. I'm hoping to transfer back with my current company. Seattle is also on my radar. The south is just NOT the business!

Atlantans like to claim that Atlanta is the New York or Chicago of the south. And those of us from those places are just like, "Nah, dude! Try again!" They don't like that we call them out on the comparison maybe. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago