Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:06 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times

Advertisements

I bike 120 miles a week as my commute. No I dont do it in winter. Although every time Im forced back onto the CTA im really tempted to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 01:24 PM

796 posts, read 930,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I bike 120 miles a week as my commute. No I dont do it in winter. Although every time Im forced back onto the CTA im really tempted to do so.
that's a lot of miles, but certainly doable. I don't bike nearly as often as I run, but when I bike a lot, I tend to get really sore in my quads.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:58 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
that's a lot of miles, but certainly doable. I don't bike nearly as often as I run, but when I bike a lot, I tend to get really sore in my quads.
Wow. I'm always afraid to go running in any hood neighborhood. A lot of times, people will shout to me "Run Forest run!" So annoying. I'm guessing you go running along the lakefront?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
that's a lot of miles, but certainly doable.
"a lot" is relative (the average person cycles precisely zero miles). i do feel like what i do is a lot, but then you look on Strava and see the guys who are doing 2-300 miles/week and averaging 18mph and you realize there are other people out there with pretty impressive fitness levels.

but the nice thing about cycling is that endurance builds up quickly. if you build your life around it, its no different than hopping in the car. it also negates the need for gym memberships, etc.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Wow. I'm always afraid to go running in any hood neighborhood. A lot of times, people will shout to me "Run Forest run!" So annoying. I'm guessing you go running along the lakefront?
I rarely run on the lakefront. it's crowded in a lot of areas. however, have run in lots of neighborhoods including hyde park, woodlawn, chatham, greater grand crossing, roseland, pullman, near west side, loop, lincoln park, lakeview, streeterville, old town, englewood, west englewood, washington park, back of the yards, pilsen, and mckinley park. If it's day time, I'll run in almost any neighborhood. I'll run anywhere where it's convenient to where I am at the time.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
"a lot" is relative (the average person cycles precisely zero miles). i do feel like what i do is a lot, but then you look on Strava and see the guys who are doing 2-300 miles/week and averaging 18mph and you realize there are other people out there with pretty impressive fitness levels.

but the nice thing about cycling is that endurance builds up quickly. if you build your life around it, its no different than hopping in the car. it also negates the need for gym memberships, etc.
the fact that I run outside 12 months a year is why I don't need a gym membership as well.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:35 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
^ and ^^, you guys make it sound like 90% of people that have gym memberships do it for the cardio huh? I need gym memberships for lifting weights, not for cardio.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 PM

i suppose my point is simply that biking 100 miles a week will make you a healthier person regardless of what you may or may not do at a gym. no i generally dont care about bulking up and prefer focusing on endurance and decreasing my resting heart rate. the exercises you enjoy are the ones you will do repeatedly. and i enjoy biking. at the end of the day the long term health benefits are probably similar regardless of what you do, as long as youre doing something.

the reality is if youre spending a couple hours a day on your bike youre not going to have much time or energy for other workout regimes. ultimately though its a way for me to live a car free lifestyle. its not just a workout per se, its my way of life. its the way i obtain groceries, the way i run errands, the way i get to and from work, the way i go out to see friends. when it is that all consuming, my opinion is youre living an active lifestyle as it is. paying for an expensive gym at that point is fairly pointless IMO.

Last edited by via chicago; 08-29-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Today i was sitting on bus instead of biking down to UIC. Not sure what intersection, close to Rosco, but it was an accident. Another bicyklist was hit and killed. Bike flat on the ground and blankets covering up the body.
So so sad. Somehow it hits home. Please be careful.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Not always about careful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Today i was sitting on bus instead of biking down to UIC. Not sure what intersection, close to Rosco, but it was an accident. Another bicyklist was hit and killed. Bike flat on the ground and blankets covering up the body.
So so sad. Somehow it hits home. Please be careful.
The motorcyclists have a saying "loud pipes save lives". Not sure I agree that there is data to back that up but the fact is bicycles are essentially silent and thus if someone operating a motor vehicle is not visually scanning for bicycles, which is often very difficult, they'll have no auditory input to alert them to bicycles' presence.

Collisions of bicycle and any other vehicle is very likely fatal to bicyclists at even modest speed. Risk is too great to seriously consider some streets...

From pure fitness walking uses more muscles too.

Don't get me wrong, in right setting bicycle is great way to get around and good for aerobic health but city has long way to go regarding safety of commuting in many areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago