Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
According to Yelp it is closed. I do not know if it is true or not.

Yelp lists one on S. Harlem.

El Pollo Loco
5436 S Harlem Ave
Summit, IL 60501

================================================== ============================

Anyways,one place I have liked going to that has been around for about I think 8-9 years now is Mr. Pollo at 3000 W. Belmont.
As a Logan Square resident, I will confirm that it is indeed closed. A new restaurant has gone up in it's place- don't remember the name,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Brown's Chicken has gone into bankruptcy protection but looks to expand:

Brown's Chicken & Pasta files for Chapter 11 :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1965345,browns-chicken-pasta-bankruptcy-123009.article - broken link)
New Brown's Chicken news:

Two bidders line up for Brown’s Chicken :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Business (http://www.suntimes.com/business/2792164,browns-chicken-bidders-101110.article - broken link)

Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 PM

36 posts, read 75,638 times
There is a KFC in my neighborhood on 95th and Michigan and it is getting killed by Popeyes on 95th and King Drive. Come to think of it, there's like 3 other restuarants near me McDonald's 95th & Lafayette, Burger King 95th & Michigan, Wendy's 95th & King Drive and Jim's Polish Stand on 95th & State. I personally prefer Popeye's or Harold's if i'm going to eat fried chicken. I haven't enjoyed KFC since they changed their recipe. Of course there's always Harolds which can be found all over the south side....

Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 AM

289 posts, read 896,760 times
The KFC on Ashland by the UC is closed for remodeling. It's been closed for longer than it should take to remodel. I really like KFC, but they source the smallest chickens I've ever seen. Think about the size of a drumstick on a grocery store Tyson's fryer and it almost looks like a turkey leg compared to KFC. As long as I can get a 2-piece for $1.99 at Church's on Tuesday then KFC will just be for family gatherings.

BTW, here is the Harold's Chicken Lincoln:

Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
...BTW, here is the Harold's Chicken Lincoln:
94 locations? Get outta here.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 AM

57 posts, read 66,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
If you ask me, people are fat because they never walk and lack self-control. In serious moderation, fast food can be oh so glorious. Fast food doesn't make people fat. People make people fat.

I was talking to a Parisian who grew up in Russia, and she asked why everyone goes running here in America. She rarely sees that in Paris, nor did she see it in London or various towns in Russia when she lived there. We surmised that it's because we never walk and eat crap every day. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't need to run so often.

Yeah, well that's just stupid. First, everyone doesn't run. Runners run and they do it because they like it and exercise, (gasp!). Second if we aren't too lazy to run, why would you tell her that we're too lazy to walk?

Anyway. All people want sugar, fat, and salt. That's why there are so many fast food joints. We know we want it. They know we want it. So they offer it to us for a song. You are right on one point, it is up to us to limit our own intake. Just because they offer it doesn't mean we have to buy it.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:02 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
All people want sugar, fat, and salt. That's why there are so many fast food joints. We know we want it. They know we want it. So they offer it to us for a song. You are right on one point, it is up to us to limit our own intake. Just because they offer it doesn't mean we have to buy it.
Very true, but there's another angle to this, which is that we've subsidized corn so that high-fructose corn syrup is so cheap that it's used as filler in more foods than you can shake a stick at.

I saw food inc, and they were describing how in your average chicken nugget you've got a corn-based breading. then they use a corn derivative to make the adhesive that keeps the chicken meat together. the chicken itself is raised on corn. then you've got HFCS in the BBQ sauce or, honey mustard or whathaveya.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM

110 posts, read 277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Very true, but there's another angle to this, which is that we've subsidized corn so that high-fructose corn syrup is so cheap that it's used as filler in more foods than you can shake a stick at.
Call me a cynic, but the simple solution is probably to reschedule the Iowa caucuses (i.e., hold them at the same time as other primaries) so you wouldn't have politicians continually pandering to the corn lobby.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
Call me a cynic, but the simple solution is probably to reschedule the Iowa caucuses (i.e., hold them at the same time as other primaries) so you wouldn't have politicians continually pandering to the corn lobby.
They should juggle the order of primaries for sure, that does make little sense. But I think ADM and Monsanto and Cargill are all bigger than just Iowa, agri-business is astonishing in its size and reach.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM

36 posts, read 75,638 times
Quote:
94 locations? Get outta here.
True story, most locations are on the south side but there are a few in the suburbs and even some in other states but yep Harold's is a south side staple as far as chicken shacks go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago