Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times

Advertisements

There used to be a KFC on Harlem Avenue in Oak Park. Also closed about a year ago or so. We had a McDonald's by my house (close to Oak Park) that also closed. When have you seen THAT happen? I like KFC original recipe but haven't had KFC in a long time. None around here. There was also a Brown's by my house...that closed too. I'm okay with it. My town is void of fast food now - with the exception of an Italian beef joint and a BK. BK is the only chain here. Kinda cool. Like living in the 50's when all the food places were family owned. Support your small business owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,052 times
As for the PETA Comment, they are a joke. They claim to wanna protect animals but have no prob assualting people. Would love them to try that with me, I'd kick the hell out of em. PETA is a joke.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
As for the PETA Comment, they are a joke. They claim to wanna protect animals but have no prob assualting people. Would love them to try that with me, I'd kick the hell out of em. PETA is a joke.
Maybe, but to be fair, the conditions at factory farms and slaughterhouses are pretty terrible sometimes.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default physician salaries

Dragoro,

I agree with the poster who said there may be physicians making 500m first year. Granted this is rare, but it does seem feasible.

6 years ago I underwrote a loan for a physician who was straight out of residency in anesthesiology, who was paid 350m to start. In addition, her new employer, a hospital in nw indiana guaranteed the loan on her new house.

High physician salaries are part of the increased healthcare costs. Another is the drug costs. What really bothers me is how the drug reps basically get doctors to prescribe more expensive drugs by bribing their staffs with free lunches everyday.

Fast food is also clearly a factor as well as lack of physical activity.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 PM

All these people blaming everyone but the person themselves. What a sad state of affairs. Its always someone elses fault. What a joke.

My moms been in the business for 30 years and don't get that much. Guess she must be clueless ::rolls eyes::

Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Wink El Pollo Loco

Try them if you get a chance. Delicious and certified heart-healthy!. With all the fabulous local food Chicago offers I don't know how ANY chains keep going.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Fast food isn't necessairly healthy, but check out the nutrition facts. You might find some fast food is actually healther and lower in fat than many high-end restaurants, who often soak their food in butter.
I challenge you to find a place where this is true. It's simply not.

A McDonald's Big Mac has 30 grams of fat, hell their Fish filet sandwich has 18! A medium French fry has 20g. Hell their Asian salad has 15!

And oh my God- this will make you ill. One breast of original recipe from KFC has a 21 grams of fat! Figure you need at least 2 for a meal, add mashed potatoes and gravy (5 grams) and one biscuit (11 grams!) and you've eaten a whopping 57 grams of fat!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:00 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
We had a McDonald's by my house (close to Oak Park) that also closed. When have you seen THAT happen?
I have. There used to be a McDonald's near me on Broadway just north of Irving, but it closed some years back. Thorek Hospital bought that parcel of land and now it's a parking lot.

I think the McDonald's that used to be in downtown Evanston is also gone.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM

There was a study done a few months ago that showed people actually gain more weight eating at subway then eating fast food.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:13 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I challenge you to find a place where this is true. It's simply not.

A McDonald's Big Mac has 30 grams of fat, hell their Fish filet sandwich has 18! A medium French fry has 20g. Hell their Asian salad has 15!

And oh my God- this will make you ill. One breast of original recipe from KFC has a 21 grams of fat! Figure you need at least 2 for a meal, add mashed potatoes and gravy (5 grams) and one biscuit (11 grams!) and you've eaten a whopping 57 grams of fat!

I'm not sure how the poster you were responding to defines "high end" restaurants, but I know for a fact that many sit-down restaurants (that aren't considered "fast food") use a lot of fat, sugar, and salt in their cooking. That's what's tasty and what sells, unfortunately.

At least with a typical chain restaurant, you usually have nutritional information readily available, so you can count fat grams, etc. and make choices accordingly. Not so with an independent... so you're never quite sure what you're really getting.

I remember when it came out some years back that a Kung Pao meal at a typical Chinese restaurant is usually higher in fat than a Big Mac and fries... What a shocker!

And, if you're watching sodium, like I'm supposed to be doing, a Big Mac and large fries at McD's has about 1400 milligrams. Sounds high for one meal, right? But a typical meal at a Chinese or Italian restaurant can run you between 2000-5000 milligrams, and there's no way to be absolutely sure just how much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago