Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,840,748 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a number of Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises that have gone out in the City:

Kostner and North
Armitage and Kimball
California and Division
Milwaukee and Diversey?

Still in business, but struggling:
Fullerton and Kilpatrick
Cicero and Addison
Cicero and Cermak

What is the deal? Is it a poor franchise operation or trend away from KFC, like I think we are seeing with Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, all of which are now owned by YUM Brands after being sold from Pepsi's Trimark group.

Or is it changing ethnic mixes in these neighborhoods that is driving this? I am curious to hear your opinions. Popeye's and and particularly Church's (black owned) tend to do well in black neighborhoods. I am not sure if there are fried chicken franchises that do well in Hispanic neighborhoods, though everyone, regardless of ethnic heritage seems to eat chicken (except those who do not eat meat because of religious or personal preference).

Clearly, I have spent too much money at KFC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
Those might well all have been owned by the same Franchisee, who might just be a bad businessperson.

Personally I think both Church's and Popeye's are light years better than KFC anyway, so that might well also have an effect.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,606,226 times
Because KFC sucks?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:34 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,332,514 times
I think KFC is mismanaged. I noticed they were closing all over Canada also.

To me, the stores don't seem well maintained (many are dirty and run-down), the staff doesn't seem well-trained, there's a limited menu, poor marketing, the chicken isn't as good as the competition (I like Popeyes better) and, although it's called "KFC" I think the "Fried" in the name is a negative IMO.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 02-26-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,332,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Because KFC sucks?
Yes, and that too...

Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM

395 posts, read 1,369,695 times
OMG, i totally was wondering about this as well. There's not many fried chicken spots around town. Even though KFC sucks, it would be nice to get more variety of fast food options around town.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,320,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I am not sure if there are fried chicken franchises that do well in Hispanic neighborhoods, though everyone, regardless of ethnic heritage seems to eat chicken (except those who do not eat meat because of religious or personal preference).
Pollo Campero! It's a company that started in Guatemala, but is growing like crazy in the US.

I'm usually the only non-hispanic dude in the one on Lawrence and Pulaski...

It's pretty stupid how much I like fried chicken. Homemade is best, and I miss Bojangles, but there are still plenty of places to get good chicken. Harold's, for example. They even have fried livers. Which I love. Even though I know you all are vomiting on your shoes just thinking about them.
Down south, even KFC serves fried chicken livers.

I don't hate KFC. I think the original recipe is quite tasty, actually.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 PM

58 posts, read 215,742 times
I believe that for the most part that America is finally waking up and knows that these foods are VERY unhealthy. A McDonalds Quarter pounder, fries and a pop is = to 3 sticks of butter. !!! The Double Cheeseburger has grease dripping from the sandwich.

Another major obstacle for KFC is that in order to profit they have purchased their chickens from some very unethical farms. They mass produce, and in return you get food on your plate that was raised unhappy and unhealthy. Its no wonder Americans are over weight and diseased. It is our responsibility to act and find out why our govt isn't regulating our food better. Just the same in the horse industry where we worm our horses and spray insectisides on them for flies, and the bottle clearly says not ment for use in animals meant for human consumption. But we still are serving horse meat in other countries.??? So both GOVT's are guilty of not protecting their people. GREED fuels most of these issues. Everyone knows the spirit of MONEY or mammon is evil. I love PETA and the work they do. Animals feel pain they are not plants and mankind has definitely not been good stewards over the animals on the planet. For this one day we will answer. Go to PETA site to see actual video proof of the treatment of the chickens that KFC buys.
I do like the taste of KFC except their mashed potatoes are to runny!
Needless to say I refrain from eating their now until they make some drastic changes...

Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,120,786 times
Default Kfc

You missed the KFC at Garfield and State. It is going great guns. They all seem to have been combined with some hamburger outlet, for more comprehensive coverage of your fast food needs.

The KFC at 51st and Lake Park closed down, however. I can't believe it was due to lack of business because it had been there 30 years.

When's the last time anyone has been to Arthur Treacher's? There used to be one at Howard and Clark, in the dark ages.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM

58 posts, read 215,742 times
Arthur Treacher's I believe was in Madisonville atop of Bramble hill and I absolutely loved the crunchies! They were huge. Now you have to pay to get one tong of crunchies at Long Johns. That was 35 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago