Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 08:21 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
when is Rahm up for re-election??? *so we can vote him out*
And replace him with who?

Chicago may greatly benefit from a right leaning Mayor. I'm just dreaming aloud though...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-18-2016 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 08:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Chicago will continue being a sanctuary city and we'll receive less federal funding.

Doesn't seem like there's much else to say.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:40 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
In this case, our mayor said that he will obstruct the federal government from doing their job. Our city is talking about harboring and concealing people who broke federal law. That is not the same as refusing to enforce federal law.
Ehh. The way I read it, Rahm is asking the local police to continue not assisting the feds. Including handing over arrestees in the lock-up, telling them who they are / where they live, etc.. He can not in any way prevent the feds to do what they want to do.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:36 PM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I find it funny that the majority of these sanctuary cities are some of the most broke ones ..good luck functioning without federal money ...
The objective of City government isn't to turn profits...

Old 11-18-2016, 07:30 PM

14 posts, read 34,897 times
I am sure Chicago and other great cities in USA gives far more to federal government than they ever receive back. T

Old 11-19-2016, 07:16 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,188,839 times
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...?client=safari

Old 11-19-2016, 07:53 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
LOL, good luck to Mr. Trump and his "making America great" plan without cooperation from those cities.
I'm assuming he's only the mayor. The senators and governor of Illinois still outrank him.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:32 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I'm assuming he's only the mayor. The senators and governor of Illinois still outrank him.
No. I think you got it confused.

We do not live in a country where the governnor can hire/fire the mayor, or and the president can hire/fire the governor.

The governor does not have power over the mayor, nor does the president have power over the governor. They're all separate.

Like the governor can pardon anyone from any state crime, and the president can pardon anyone from any federal crime, the president cannot pardon anyone from any state crime, or city ticket.

The U.S. supreme court cannot tell the state supreme court what to do.

The FBI cannot tell the state police or Chicago police what to do. The state police cannot tell the Chicago police want to do.

All these government organization - city, county, state, and federal - are all separate.

If you wanna say, city cannot enforce federal law - then at the same time, federal police cannot issue traffic tickets.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:26 AM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Deep down, I know if I say this enough times people will eventually understand. We are not talking about making the Chicago police part of ICE. The Supreme Court said the federal government cannot do this in the Printz case someone cited.

In this case, our mayor said that he will obstruct the federal government from doing their job. Our city is talking about harboring and concealing people who broke federal law. That is not the same as refusing to enforce federal law.
Some laws are meant to be broken.

In this case, there's morality to deal with here.

The freedoms allotted to our ancestor's seeking religious refuge should, arguably, be offered to individuals who come peacefully, even illegally, but are willing to work for their position in America.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:29 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
What freedom Rahm is trying to prevent people who are breaking laws and causing trouble who have no legal right to be in the USA at all from being put on a fast bus. I applaud Trump for wanting to get rid of immigrants who behave as really bad guests. Allowing immigration is one thing, sheltering criminals is another, and announcing that Chicago is the place to be for illegal alien criminals is just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago