Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 01:34 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times

Advertisements

They need to be allowed to have managed bankruptcy similar to GM and Chrysler. Pensioners are going to have to take a haircut because the money to pay the full pensions promised simply does not exist and is not extractable from the taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 01:38 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They need to be allowed to have managed bankruptcy similar to GM and Chrysler. Pensioners are going to have to take a haircut because the money to pay the full pensions promised simply does not exist and is not extractable from the taxpayers.
Exactly.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:41 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They need to be allowed to have managed bankruptcy similar to GM rsand Chrysler.
I don't know about Chrysler, but I do know for GM, they never had to fail as a company. 1 of the few times or possible the only time, the federal government has ever intervened, GM got free money from the feds so they will not die down as a company.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:42 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
No, Illinois will not be given a bailout, nor will the federal tax code be amended to allow for it to go bankrupt. They'd be far too worried about all the other states that are struggling getting in line behind Illinois.

The only thing that could possibly happen is Chicago going bankrupt, but even that would require the Illinois' state government to allow for Chicago to go bankrupt. The current law does not.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:47 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
No, Illinois will not be given a bailout, nor will the federal tax code be amended to allow for it to go bankrupt. They'd be far too worried about all the other states that are struggling getting in line behind Illinois.
Someone just said that Illinois is the worst state for their debt.

If this is about the feds giving free money to the state, what the federal government could do is.

1. Give free money to the 50th state until it reaches the debt of the 49th state.
2. Give free money to the 50th and 49th state that are tied, until it reaches the debt of the 48th state, and so and so forth.

And I can't see the federal government doing this if they themselves have their own debt to deal with.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:52 PM

They're not going to do anything because it'll soon come down to splitting hairs in terms of who should and should not get a bailout, and on top of that, the Republican controlled legislature and executive branch will have no stomach for bailouts, let alone one of dark blue Illinois.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:35 PM

235 posts, read 287,444 times
Try explaining to states like Alaska, North Dakota and Wyoming, all of whom have budget surpluses why their federal income tax money should be used to bail IL out.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UScityUrbanCores View Post
I wonder if President Obama could push a pardon of debt for Illinois and Chicago? Maybe by some last act if not a Bill?

Illinois Pension Crisis: Ripe For Fed Rescue? | Better Government Association

Puerto Rico Bailout Will Encourage Illinois

I do not want this in the Political and Controversies forum. It is a State issue and Major city one. I actually hope for something? Just my opinion for my favorite city.

Post your comments. I chose NOT to do a poll thread.
Actually it is political and amazingly enough Chicago is not the only city in Illinois so all cities should be included.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:49 PM

347 posts, read 521,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
COUNTLESS other states have the SAME issue, lol.
Yes, there are other states that have financial issues....but it's been documented that Illinois has one of the worse, if not THE WORST financial crisis in the nation. If you think Illinois's situation is not much different from other states, you're lying to yourself and/or you're being foolish. Come on, now.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
Try explaining to states like Alaska, North Dakota and Wyoming, all of whom have budget surpluses why their federal income tax money should be used to bail IL out.
Illinois puts more into the federal coffers than it gets back.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...takers/361668/

Again, I do not think the federal government will touch Illinois with a ten foot poll, but don't act like the way federal tax money is distributed is fair at all times. Illinois continues to support other states, as it has done for years, at its own taxpayers expense.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 12-07-2016 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago