Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 03:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,098 times

Advertisements

I've spent the past couple weeks in the Chi-Town area on business and I've noticed more people here have Xmas lights and decorations on their houses compared to other cities I travel to like Detroit, Philly, and Baltimore.

So my question is --- why do Chicagoans appear to be in the "Christmas spirit" more than other cities? Is it because the cold snowy weather puts them in the mood, or is it just that Chi-Town folks are more old-fashioned and long for the days of yore? Mod cut.
Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-19-2016 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 06:38 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,085,883 times
Depends on how wealthy the neighborhood.

Also, don't criss-cross races from 1 city to another, in case you are.

Don't compare race A with race B of another city. You might get different results.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 AM

6,704 posts, read 6,405,316 times
More old fashioned and more Christian would be my guess.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-18-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
More old fashioned and more Christian would be my guess.

Merry Christmas!
That could be a valid point -- Chicago has a larger population of Eastern European ethnicities than other large cities. Many Russian, Polish, Slovak, and Ukrainian descendants who are still very religious compared to a city like Baltimore where less than half the population are regular church goers.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Depends on how wealthy the neighborhood.
I'm seeing a lot of decorations in very average middle class neighborhoods.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:25 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,218,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirrut-Lee View Post
That could be a valid point -- Chicago has a larger population of Eastern European ethnicities than other large cities. Many Russian, Polish, Slovak, and Ukrainian descendants who are still very religious compared to a city like Baltimore where less than half the population are regular church goers.
True...but to me they would tend against secular light displays and maaaaaybe toward traditional nativity scenes.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
True...but to me they would tend against secular light displays and maaaaaybe toward traditional nativity scenes.
Not sure I would agree with that -- I've known a lot of "hardcore" Christians in my life who proudly displayed all kinds of gaudy Xmas lights during the season.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,785,860 times
Not sure of the reason. At the neighborhood-level, Chicago tends to hang onto traditions. In addition to Christmas, you'll see a lot of people also be pretty festive for Halloween. In the summer, each neighborhood has its own festivals, which everyone gets really into. In general, Chicago tends to do a good job of getting into "the mood" for holidays. Again, I'm not completely sure why.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:56 PM

28 posts, read 47,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not sure of the reason. At the neighborhood-level, Chicago tends to hang onto traditions. In addition to Christmas, you'll see a lot of people also be pretty festive for Halloween. In the summer, each neighborhood has its own festivals, which everyone gets really into. In general, Chicago tends to do a good job of getting into "the mood" for holidays. Again, I'm not completely sure why.
I agree with you, and I can't explain it either.

People go ga-ga for Christmas around here, more so than most other places I've been to.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,677,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

Agreed, as someone who grew up in the Chicago suburbs most of my life (just recently moved from Illinois) Chicago is very rich in traditions and celebrates most traditional holidays as stated above, not just Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: