Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:59 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am a Los Angeles native who is due to visit Chicago for two in early January. I will travel there alone, and meet up with a friend who lives outside the country. While he will be visiting other cities, I will only join him in Chicago. This is the first time both of us will have visited the Windy City.

I'd like to stay at the downtown Chicago area, visit the lake front views and roam around the stores a d basically the good parts of Chicago. No reason to visit residential areas, because it makes no sense. Of course I have no interest in visiting the South side.

I am asking you all to give me tips and interesting places to visit in the city, d things hat would really give someone else like me a feel of Chicago. I have been reading about the Chicago Loop, which has garnered my attention and makes me want to spend time.

Any recommendations as to where to go, I would really appreciate.

And yes I will be taking lots of sweaters, jackets and clothes in general.

Thanks in advance!!

Merry CHRISTMAS 2016, Happy New Year's 2017.

Last edited by Nema98; 12-25-2016 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 10:11 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Unfortunately, most people go indoors in the winter to go shopping.

But if you don't intend on going shopping, there's lots of places to go around in downtown for sightseeing at places to shop. Macy's on State street, Water Tower Place, Block 37 Mall, Navy Pier, etc.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
January is probably the worst time to try to get an appreciation of Chicago's Lakefront as it can be every bit as inhospitable as the Arctic!

Chicago's nightlife is not nearly as active in bad weather as it is in good BUT you should know that the main areas for nightlife be that upscale dining, nicer spots with live music or just bustling bars are all located in areas that are generally commercial streets in otherwise residential areas like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Bucktown/ Wicker Park etc...

Fact is day of the week matters quite a bit -- bars and restaurants that may be very crowded Thursday through Saturday might be CLOSED Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

You need to be a bit more specific in why you're visiting -- there are plenty of spots ranging from art galleries and museums to restaurants on the Chicago's South Side that are very safe and absolutely worth visiting, but if you just want to stay in a hotel on North Michigan Ave and walk through the retail locations of high end brands you'll be missing out on a whole lot of what makes Chicago a desirable place to live...

Old 12-25-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
January is probably the worst time to try to get an appreciation of Chicago's Lakefront as it can be every bit as inhospitable as the Arctic!

Chicago's nightlife is not nearly as active in bad weather as it is in good BUT you should know that the main areas for nightlife be that upscale dining, nicer spots with live music or just bustling bars are all located in areas that are generally commercial streets in otherwise residential areas like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Bucktown/ Wicker Park etc...

Fact is day of the week matters quite a bit -- bars and restaurants that may be very crowded Thursday through Saturday might be CLOSED Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

You need to be a bit more specific in why you're visiting -- there are plenty of spots ranging from art galleries and museums to restaurants on the Chicago's South Side that are very safe and absolutely worth visiting, but if you just want to stay in a hotel on North Michigan Ave and walk through the retail locations of high end brands you'll be missing out on a whole lot of what makes Chicago a desirable place to live...
It will be WEEKDAY. I intend to visit just for pleasure, I also want to take the public transportation to and from places. No I am not looking to be close to my hotel. I want to explore it. Also it's not like I'm looking to spend time in bars, I don't drink much and spending my time in bar is stupid. I want to see iconic places of the city.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Unfortunately, most people go indoors in the winter to go shopping.

But if you don't intend on going shopping, there's lots of places to go around in downtown for sightseeing at places to shop. Macy's on State street, Water Tower Place, Block 37 Mall, Navy Pier, etc.
Thanks, yes I don't intend to shop, just sigh see and eat. I want to explore Chciago, make use of the public transportation from place to place.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
If you like art, The Art Institute has a world-class collection, and it's right on the lake downtown.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If you like art, The Art Institute has a world-class collection, and it's right on the lake downtown.
The Art Institute is a very pleasant place to visit, though it's actually on Michigan Ave, a solid half a mile from the water inside Monroe Harbor... https://goo.gl/maps/CG7cvR8XiRL2 Very impressive collections! Current Exhibitions | The Art Institute of Chicago Nice place to eat too -- Dining | The Art Institute of Chicago

The free Smart Museum on the campus of University of Chicago has an impressive collection too, and it is easily reachable by public transit too -- Directions | Smart Museum of Art

Chicago Reader has a good compilation of live music events, updated regularly Music & Nightlife | Chicago Reader

Chicago Magazine maintains current reviews of locally important restaurants --
Dining Guide - Chicago

In the winter there are plenty of locals that head into museums --
Chicago Museums

Old 12-26-2016, 10:56 AM

92 posts, read 92,185 times
If you want to get out of downtown, it might be worth it to take the blue line or red line(train lines on the L system) a few stops out to places like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, or Logan Square. Lots of fun things to see and do in the city, and you don't need to be downtown to experience most of them

Old 12-26-2016, 11:10 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Museums and skyscrapers / observation decks. You can try the John Hancock and thing formerly known as the Sears Tower on a non-cloudy day.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Take the Gray Line tour that leaves from the Palmer House. You won't regret it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago