Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 01:46 PM

35 posts, read 122,373 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm not originally from Chicago, so I'm looking for some advice about the Englewood neighborhood. I was offered a job which is a couple blocks from the 63rd Street stop of the red line. I've seen some pretty scary stuff online about the neighborhood in general but its all several years old. I was offered a really good job, but I really don't want to put myself in danger. Is anyone personally familiar with the area that could give me a heads up on the area? I'm not looking to move there, I would just be commuting via the red line everyday. The place I'd work is just a 5 minute walk away from the 63rd street stop.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM

201 posts, read 273,585 times
Moderator cut: quoted post now deleted
it is far FAR from the safest neighborhood out there.

I'm guessing the job is at the hospital? I think as long as it's light out you probably would be just fine walking to and from hospital to station probably wouldn't want to make a habit of it at night. I would check it out yourself before you take the job.

Last edited by toosie; 01-15-2017 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted material - next time don't quote/respond; do report - thank you

Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 PM

17 posts, read 29,393 times
By all means if you can don't live in englewood, probably the 2nd Moderator cut: . neighborhood in Chicago, tons of crime and especially around 63rd a huge, I mean huge gang war is going on around there, with over 800 homicides in Chicago in 2016, englewood was ranked the 2nd most dangerous area with 86 homicides just there in the year

Last edited by toosie; 01-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: TOS - profanity

Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 PM

783 posts, read 571,279 times
Does this new job not have employee parking? If it does, even if it required paying a fee, that would probably be a better option.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:49 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,960,337 times
I am confused the 63rd street station of the red line isn't Englewood but the area is kinda iffy. There is a 63rd street station on the Green line that serves Englewood. I would personally drive I those locations.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:07 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,081,641 times
Ah yes, must be that hospital some 3-4 blocks west of the Red Line. St. Bernard's.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:31 PM

36,910 posts, read 38,810,969 times
What kind of hours will you be working? Can you ask if you have co-workers who have done the same at the hours you'll be working to see what their suggestions are? They are probably the most sensible people to ask about the commute.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:53 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,237,819 times
It's probably the worst neighborhood in the entire country.

That being said, if there is a lot of traffic during work hours etc., it could be all right. I would ask people who work there.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:27 PM

796 posts, read 917,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude109 View Post
Hi,

I'm not originally from Chicago, so I'm looking for some advice about the Englewood neighborhood. I was offered a job which is a couple blocks from the 63rd Street stop of the red line. I've seen some pretty scary stuff online about the neighborhood in general but its all several years old. I was offered a really good job, but I really don't want to put myself in danger. Is anyone personally familiar with the area that could give me a heads up on the area? I'm not looking to move there, I would just be commuting via the red line everyday. The place I'd work is just a 5 minute walk away from the 63rd street stop.

Thanks!
I'm assuming that st bernard hospital is where you're gonna be working since that makes most sense, it's a very short walk from the red line at 63rd. I would have no issue doing that walk in the day time. I'd certainly be more careful at night. maybe st bernard has a shuttle between the hospital and the L. if you're gonna be working at night, I'd drive there instead of taking the train since there won't be much traffic on the dan ryan once it hits 7pm or so.

the dan ryan might be the least congested of all the chicago expressways. but then again, it has the most lanes with 5 lanes in each direction (3 express, 2 local)

Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,330,139 times
If you are working nights I'd probably want to either drive or shuttle to the L or have a group walk to the L station together not alone. Once you are on the L or in the station you are relatively safe. They have cameras everywhere and on the trains so a criminal would be very stupid to do anything there. However it is right off the Dan Ryan and the Red line station is right there so the risk is minimal.

Also between the High School, L, and Hospital there is probably a lot of police presence, lighting, and traffic so it is probably relatively safe. Just don't wander outside of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: