Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:53 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Now Mexicans are the dominant Hispanic group on the South Side. Whether you're in Garfield Ridge or Hegewisch or West Lawn or Bridgeport (not so sure about that last one though).
Garfield Ridge, along with Clearing, is a traditionally Polish neighborhood, although the Mexican population might have grown in recent times. I went there some years ago. I saw businesses like European bakeries, the Bobak's sausage factory, and small shops with Polish-sounding names. Also a large number of industrial areas, taking advantage of Midway Airport just east of them. While the vibe was overwhelmingly working-class, the areas looked quite safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
Quote:
Yes I meant far NW side.
Well Puerto Ricans aren't on the far NW side either.

Quote:
Now Mexicans are the dominant Hispanic group on the South Side. Whether you're in Garfield Ridge or Hegewisch or West Lawn or Bridgeport (not so sure about that last one though).
What do you mean by now? They've always been the dominant Hispanic group on the South side. Puerto Ricans never had a big presence in the South side. Neither did Cubans, etc.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:19 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Garfield Ridge, along with Clearing, is a traditionally Polish neighborhood, although the Mexican population might have grown in recent times. I went there some years ago. I saw businesses like European bakeries, the Bobak's sausage factory, and small shops with Polish-sounding names. Also a large number of industrial areas, taking advantage of Midway Airport just east of them. While the vibe was overwhelmingly working-class, the areas looked quite safe.
Notice I said dominant HISPANIC group not dominant ethnic group.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Well Puerto Ricans aren't on the far NW side either.

What do you mean by now? They've always been the dominant Hispanic group on the South side. Puerto Ricans never had a big presence in the South side. Neither did Cubans, etc.
Well if this is the case then we are in agreement. I don't see what was so inaccurate about me saying that Mexicans dominate South Side Hispanic areas and Puerto Ricans do the same for the North Side. These aren't alternative facts lol

Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Notice I said dominant HISPANIC group not dominant ethnic group.
I stand corrected, then.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I stand corrected, then.
Yup. Do love me some Bobaks though. I wish the city was more ethnically Polish like it used to be. Mexican stuff is everywhere but Polish stores have been leaving. Unless you're on Belmont west of Cicero. That is still very much heavily Polish in culture as is Milwaukee between Belmont and Diversey

Old 01-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Yup. Do love me some Bobaks though. I wish the city was more ethnically Polish like it used to be. Mexican stuff is everywhere but Polish stores have been leaving. Unless you're on Belmont west of Cicero. That is still very much heavily Polish in culture as is Milwaukee between Belmont and Diversey
Some Polish businesses, especially food-related ones, like grocery stores, bakeries, and restaurants, relocated north and west of their long-time strongholds. If you look at suburbs like Niles, Mount Prospect, Burbank, or Westchester, you'll find a large number of Polish businesses there. Although, the city area you mentioned still has its original vibe. I think the churches play a big role in that.

Side note: Try the Red Apple restaurant (a.k.a. Czerwone Jabluczko). The Polish buffet is amazing. Skip meals before you go, if you can, because the food is very rich and filling. Desserts are somewhat underwhelming, though.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-25-2017 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spelling correction.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:59 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Grand isn't a bad border. Or what about the Metra tracks on the line out to Elgin, actually?

Old 12-25-2017, 06:06 PM

Wherever the significant drop in crime rate happens, that is where Northwest begins.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:25 PM

222 posts, read 194,515 times
The Kennedy divides the north from West . Wicker Park likes yo call it self north side it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago