Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:21 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The global part isn't going to feed into very much if it's just the airport to downtown. You want crossrail done first, because you then connect McCormick Place and Hyde Park which are important parts for international travelers. Going for the straight airplane shot is not useful.
You aren't thinking through this in a particularly clear fashion. So you are asserting that people flying into O'Hare aren't often traveling via automobile/cab/uber from that point to downtown? Downtown locations will be more frequent than either McCormick or Hyde Park.

Quote:
Job growth in the West Loop specifically does not require work at the Port of Chicago--job growth overall for the city is better if the port is actually adequately. There are a lot of sectors in the economy and fixing the port addresses many of them and is a very low-hanging fruit.
Examples specific to Chicago please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You aren't thinking through this in a particularly clear fashion. So you are asserting that people flying into O'Hare aren't often traveling via automobile/cab/uber from that point to downtown? Downtown locations will be more frequent than either McCormick or Hyde Park.

Examples specific to Chicago please.
I didn't assert that people aren't traveling via automobile/car/uber. I'm saying that the wealthy already opt for those options and putting a transit priority on making this express happen isn't that likely to garner much.

Your options right now are a frequent and cheap ride on the Blue Line that makes more stops, so takes longer to get to downtown but also has more stations within downtown, which is where the majority of people opting for mass transit will take unless the airport express is ridiculously frequent.

You have the multi-step transfer to the infrequently served Metra line--this is pretty limited in its ridership.

You have people who are willing to pay for a taxi and get door-to-door service within a car without anyone else.

Then you have this airport express line. Admittedly, the details are sparse, but it seems unlikely that you'll get frequent and fast service without also having to pay for a lot of infrastructure initially. This is supposed to take from the taxi taking crowd given what they'll likely charge for the fare and it can be faster than the taxi provided your stop is pretty close to the stations it'll serve in downtown--I'm not doubting that could be useful. However, for that to happen, you must have frequent service so it'd likely be expensive. Of course, if the funding sources were different between this project and something like Crossrail Chicago (which eventually builds up to an airport express train, but after the more important through-running connecting segment is done), then great.

You want examples of why a well-managed port and entrepot is useful? Well, there were the projections from what the firm that was trying to privatize it back in 2013. There might be more recent things.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Emanuel's New Infrastructure Projects Could Create 40,000 Jobs | NBC Chicago

Nowhere did I see any mention of how he plans to pay for all of this?

I think he's just blowing hot air as he gets closer to his next election...
The same people will fund the Chicago infrastructure improvements that will fund "the wall"; the Mexican Government. Otherwise, with plan B there will be a tax on guacamole sold at Chipotle and Qdoba to fund these jobs, as well as all tomatoes imported and sold at Jewel.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 PM

796 posts, read 930,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Emanuel's New Infrastructure Projects Could Create 40,000 Jobs | NBC Chicago

Nowhere did I see any mention of how he plans to pay for all of this?

I think he's just blowing hot air as he gets closer to his next election...
plastic bag tax I guess......

Old 02-12-2017, 10:58 AM

235 posts, read 287,612 times
These will be temporary jobs. As for how he plans to pay for it-bonds which pass the cost off to future generations. You need only look at the city CAFR or bond offering documents to see the city pays for virtually everything on its credit card. I can see 40K jobs though, after watching them rebuild the el station by my house. How many union members does it take to direct traffic at a station under construction? It takes 6. One on the north side of the station to direct southbound trains into the station. One on the south side to wave the flag at them as they exit the station. Another on the south side to direct northbound trains into the station. Another on the north side to direct northbound trains out of the station. And a supervisor on each side to make sure they are waving their flags.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:19 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
These will be temporary jobs. As for how he plans to pay for it-bonds which pass the cost off to future generations. You need only look at the city CAFR or bond offering documents to see the city pays for virtually everything on its credit card. I can see 40K jobs though, after watching them rebuild the el station by my house. How many union members does it take to direct traffic at a station under construction? It takes 6. One on the north side of the station to direct southbound trains into the station. One on the south side to wave the flag at them as they exit the station. Another on the south side to direct northbound trains into the station. Another on the north side to direct northbound trains out of the station. And a supervisor on each side to make sure they are waving their flags.
Infrastructure bonds are not necessarily a bad thing. It's like borrowing money to add on to your home - there's real value being created there. Bonds to cover operating expenses or pension payments - that's just kicking the can down the road.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 AM

796 posts, read 930,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I agree only partially. Some of the projects you mention are definitely worthwhile (especially Crossrail), but it's important to understand that starting something very central (and arguably, most global) such as the airport is critical as a starting point.

I kindly disagree that there should be any priority to the Port of Chicago. I'm just not sure the job growth in the west loop (etc.) requires it per se.

FWIW, the other (old) idea I like is the crosstown expressway. Move most of the trucks there to help eliminate more of the boondoggles toward the city center during peak times. See here:

Wikiwand)
this is just so logical. I mean the # of trucks going thru downtown would decrease significantly if they could simply avoid that area altogether.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,020 times
Incredible BS! $1 Billion for 1000 workers to improve Union Center? No wonder why Chicago's going bankrupt!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Incredible BS! $1 Billion for 1000 workers to improve Union Center? No wonder why Chicago's going bankrupt!
Union Center requires Union Labor.

I remember learning about unions early on. I was setting up a booth at McCormick place many moons ago. As I was setting up, I grabbed some power strips from my box and started running the cables. I asked one of the guys where the power was and he told, wait, you can't plug those in, we need to have a union electrician do that! wtf? an hour later I finally got my power strips plugged in...

Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
It's Union Station, and the funds are coming from Amtrak, Metra, the RTA and mostly the US Department of Transportation and Federal Government.

The money isn't going to the workers, it's going to a massive multi-year rebuild of the station and concourse used by Amtrak and Metra customers, over 100,000 people pass through every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago