Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 01:41 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrichlo View Post
My understanding is that there are good schools and bad. Actually more high quallity public schools than most major cities.I have no desire to live in the suburbs. No point moving to Chicago if I am just going to live in any town USA. Much cheaper to do that in many other parts of the country.
Yes, that's somewhat true. The problem is, you don't get to choose your school. Finding a really great property might mean your kids are stuck in either crappy or 'meh' schools. Your kids could however get lucky and get accepted into one of the better magnet schools.

FWIW, I had a friend move slightly further out to the 'burbs to a less expensive SFH (with more stable schools) than what he could find in the city, then took the difference and bought two inexpensive condos closer to the lakefront/EL. Just another perspective anyway.

Quote:
I'm honestly asking a pretty standard question: nice condo in an already built out or trendy neighborhood - along blue line (somewhere where my $600k doesn't get a SFH thats not a full Reno) vs SFH or entire townhouse in a more up and coming local(i.e. South of 290 or due West) that is likely already turn key ready. I've lived in NYC 5 years now and before that downtown Atlanta so pretty familiar with an urban lifestyle.
What turnkey ready properties in areas of Chicago desirable to you thus far have you seen listed online?

Quote:
I understand the condo market is hot right now but my concern is more about ability to sell it down the road. Which admittedly nobody can predict. I had heard the condo market really tanked in the last recession though for people who owned in Chicago.
In this regard, your guess is as good as the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 01:47 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You make a lot of assumptions.
Based on good experience and Census Data yes.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:57 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Based on good experience and Census Data yes.
You have my census data?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
You have my census data?
What, that shows white flight when minorities move in? Seriously? You're smart enough to look that up, come on. And if you need more proof, go to the NIU ISAT website and look at how the demographics of certain schools flip-flopped over time.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 AM

672 posts, read 756,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrichlo View Post
My understanding is that there are good schools and bad. Actually more high quallity public schools than most major cities.I have no desire to live in the suburbs. No point moving to Chicago if I am just going to live in any town USA. Much cheaper to do that in many other parts of the country.

Please let's not make this a school threads suffice to say I will make sure I live in a neighborhood zoned to a school I find acceptable. I have CPS school locator bookmarked right next to my Redfin app! Lol

I'm honestly asking a pretty standard question: nice condo in an already built out or trendy neighborhood - along blue line (somewhere where my $600k doesn't get a SFH thats not a full Reno) vs SFH or entire townhouse in a more up and coming local(i.e. South of 290 or due West) that is likely already turn key ready. I've lived in NYC 5 years now and before that downtown Atlanta so pretty familiar with an urban lifestyle.

I understand the condo market is hot right now but my concern is more about ability to sell it down the road. Which admittedly nobody can predict. I had heard the condo market really tanked in the last recession though for people who owned in Chicago.
I'd recommend Pilsen, western West Loop, and Edgewater, Uptown and Rogers Park. Be aware (if you aren't already) that taxes on Chicago properties will go up. Also, there's a chance of stagnation or decline for a while if the city is hit by a recession. Buying in isn't a sure thing like it is in, say, NYC or SF. But if you believe in the city then it's well worth it in my opinion.

Schools are an interesting thing in Chicago. And in NYC, for that matter. I'd never seen so much hand-wringing about schools before I came to the US. It's nuts.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
You have my census data?
Not census data but...

https://iirc.niu.edu/Classic/School....022001&level=S

This was one of the best schools in the area until recently. It used to blow away many of Oak Park's elementary schools in test scores and was by all accounts an excellent school, including a strong gifted program. But watch the % of white students versus the % of Hispanic students though. It has pretty much inverted, and then some, since 2000.

Note, in particular, the change between 2000 and 2005. Pretty amazing stuff.

I am familiar with this school as I used to live in that area. Many parents of young children would move "because of the schools." For a long time, I scratched my head over that, because the test scores were so high. Gradually, I came to learn why though.

I mean, you're right. People shouldn't make assumptions, and I usually don't like doing so. But this is one I'm very comfortable in making

Old 02-21-2017, 07:48 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Oh I see. I thought "infrastructure" only referred to road and rail, utilities, and public venues. But this makes sense. The only bad part about the new construction is that it will most likely be those generic red brick condos, a far cry from ornate limestone facades you see all over Kenwood and Hyde Park (that presumably used to exist in Bronzeville too).
You are correct. They were using the term incorrectly. It doesn't apply to housing.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:40 AM

150 posts, read 294,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyost View Post
by the park, between the tracks (technically armour square) is still pretty meh, and from canal to halsted is mostly SFH including the old daley family houses and other high priced, nice homes. from what i can tell it's the 4 blocks of morgan between 31-35, anchored by maria's and the Zhou brothers art gallery, with other art galleries and assorted nonsense in between, including trendy storefront apartments & live/work spaces. 35th from morgan to racine is ok but definitely not residential, theres a upscale taco joint, zhou brothers, and the bridgeport arts center. my money would be on halsted or 31st to develop before 35th does, and especially that far east its more likely to turn into chinatown 2.0 than logan square 2.0
If you walk through Armour Square Park up to 33rd Turtle's and Cork and Kerry at the Park are both mighty fine establishments with good food and outdoor beer gardens.

35th street isn't bad; I enjoy the 35th street and Morrie O'Malley's red hots places especially before and after games. Grandstand is awesome.. best sports memorabilia store in the city. Once you get to 35th and Halsted there is plenty of places to visit. Depending on the mood if I want to watch games with a lively crowd and big screen TV's Buffalo Wings and Rings is definitely cool for that. Schaller's is kinda out of the way but I really do enjoy it.. old school Sox bar and the oldest liquor license in the city actually.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:41 AM

6 posts, read 8,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I didn't ever disagree with you . The joke used to be that all the white people got off the Red Line at Jackson. Then it was Roosevelt. Soon it'll be Cermak? I do think the communities along the south branch of the Red and Green Lines will be more diverse, so that's something to look forward to.

500k at California and Augusta?!? WHAT?!?!? I've seen new construction 4 bed/3 bath condos for sale over there, I'm just shocked people are actually moving on them.
Curious why you think that are is bad. I see some nice condos at around $450-$460 on California and Thomas, which is SE of the park. It's definitely changing

Old 03-02-2017, 09:54 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiloft View Post
Curious why you think that are is bad. I see some nice condos at around $450-$460 on California and Thomas, which is SE of the park. It's definitely changing
I agree it's changing, I just didn't realize it was changing that quickly. Especially given there's not great access to the L over that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago