Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:05 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times

Advertisements

I have heard it said that many on the South Side (particularly along the Dan Ryan and further West that the Southeast neighborhoods (east of Stony Island and south of Hyde Park) but closer to South Chicago on down are very different than the rest of the South Side.

But can someone enlighten me on this? Being a guy who spent the majority of his life in Chicago's South Side (all parts but mainly undisputed Southeast south of 87th) I have not seen that much of a difference. Maybe because the SE region is so...Black and Hispanic like the rest of the South Side? Or because it looks like practically any South Side neighborhood? Except Jeffery Manor that is a weird looking place! But I digress. The SE side is very Rust Belt...like most of the South Side. The SE side is very working class...like most of the South Side. The SE Region is historically Polish, Mexican, and Black...like much of the South Side.

So I don't buy it. Is it something about all the weird street names that are off the grid? Like Ridgeland Avenue? Or Farragut Street? Or how Colfax becomes Torrence for some odd reason? Or how they have flood walls?

Enlighten me good sirs and madams!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 07:57 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Yes.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Yes.
Because...

Old 03-03-2017, 11:35 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
SE side is not necessarily more black/Hispanic. There's plenty of that.

To me it feels different because there aren't any Arterial streets that connect it to the rest of the city.
Ashland, Western, Cicero, Halsted, Michigan...

and there's a lot more remnants of Industrial past

Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
SE side is not necessarily more black/Hispanic. There's plenty of that.

To me it feels different because there aren't any Arterial streets that connect it to the rest of the city.
Ashland, Western, Cicero, Halsted, Michigan...

and there's a lot more remnants of Industrial past
95th? 87th? 79th?

South Shore Drive runs into South Chicago and it connects to Hyde Park.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Those are east west. they don't connect the north and south.
I can live in Uptown and take Ashland south to the 100s

LSD is an expressway like I said. They don't have businesses along them or pedestrians.

If the lake curved on the northside east of Roger park and there was an imaginary neighborhood there with no Streets connecting it south, I feel it would have the same effect of isolation.s

So yeah, those off grid streets do a lot.
Plus it borders Indiana which has a minor difference in laws that creates a small difference in culture.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Those are east west. they don't connect the north and south.
I can live in Uptown and take Ashland south to the 100s

LSD is an expressway like I said. They don't have businesses along them or pedestrians.

If the lake curved on the northside east of Roger park and there was an imaginary neighborhood there with no Streets connecting it south, I feel it would have the same effect of isolation.s

So yeah, those off grid streets do a lot.
Plus it borders Indiana which has a minor difference in laws that creates a small difference in culture.
Lots of neighborhoods aren't connected north to south. Even those that are have little in common. You can't tell me Ashburn and Rogers Park have many similarities.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Personally, I feel like half the southside is not what people imagine when they think of Chicago.
It's less dense than the West and North sides.

But once again, those farther west have the busier arterial streets that connect those traveling up and down.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Personally, I feel like half the southside is not what people imagine when they think of Chicago.
It's less dense than the West and North sides.

But once again, those farther west have the busier arterial streets that connect those traveling up and down.
I guess. That's a strange criteria but whatever. I think the North Side is the least typical of Chicago because it has the least natives. It is generic bland Americana and just like a denser Indianapolis. Little Chicago culture exists there. It's like a combo of a bunch of small Heartland towns of Big 10 colleges. How exactly is that super Chicago?

Old 03-04-2017, 05:42 PM

I hate when southsiders think the northside is just the transplant oriented Lincoln Park, Wicker, Lakeview, etc.

There's plenty of culture on the NS. We have a denser population with more multi family buildings which makes it easier for people to come and go.

Southside has a bunch of actual houses where people buy and commit to. So it has a more steady population.

and I don't feel it's a strange criteria. Without those streets it feels a bit isolated. Less outsiders pass through. That's a big thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago