Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,526 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from college here in Atlanta this past December and got a fantastic job offer in Chicago but i'm a bit worried about the move

From what I understand the city is really segregated and as a young black guy(22 years old) i'm a bit afraid of not fitting in. I've checked around the board for recommended neighborhoods but would like some suggestions from any black people living in the city (Not sure how I feel about living on the south side i'm not the most street smart guy)

*Rent budget would be around $1200 but id prefer having a roommate or two.

Last edited by billyThewho; 02-20-2017 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 PM

201 posts, read 278,346 times
I'm not a black guy, but you really don't have anything to worry about. While the city is relatively segregated statistically, this is much more pronounced in the vast residential areas on the south, southwest, west, and northwest sides. It is much less noticeable in any of the neighborhoods that a college grad would want to move to, and where it is pronounced it is really a product of history and economics more than any kind of active racism.

As a black guy you really would't stick out at all in any of the young professional areas, and you really have nothing to worry about. Where will you be working and what sort of stuff do you look for in a neighborhood? Happy to make some recommendations.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
I'm not a black guy, but you really don't have anything to worry about. While the city is relatively segregated statistically, this is much more pronounced in the vast residential areas on the south, southwest, west, and northwest sides. It is much less noticeable in any of the neighborhoods that a college grad would want to move to, and where it is pronounced it is really a product of history and economics more than any kind of active racism.

As a black guy you really would't stick out at all in any of the young professional areas, and you really have nothing to worry about. Where will you be working and what sort of stuff do you look for in a neighborhood? Happy to make some recommendations.
The job is located in the Loop. Neighborhood wise I would just like to be around fellow young professionals. I would like having some parks nearby to play some basketball and having a boxing gym near would be a huge plus.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyThewho View Post
The job is located in the Loop. Neighborhood wise I would just like to be around fellow young professionals. I would like having some parks nearby to play some basketball and having a boxing gym near would be a huge plus.
Basically anywhere along the red and brown lines on the north side are going to give you easy access to the loop and have a substantial amount of young professionals. Most of those areas are going to be generally on the more diverse side, and I doubt you would have any trouble finding a park with a court, they are plentiful. Not sure about boxing gyms but I think it should be easy to find one with a quick google, I think there are a few in the loop so you might want to go that route for after work.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 PM

796 posts, read 930,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyThewho View Post
I just graduated from college here in Atlanta this past December and got a fantastic job offer in Chicago but i'm a bit worried about the move

From what I understand the city is really segregated and as a young black guy(22 years old) i'm a bit afraid of not fitting in. I've checked around the board for recommended neighborhoods but would like some suggestions from any black people living in the city (Not sure how I feel about living on the south side i'm not the most street smart guy)

*Rent budget would be around $1200 but id prefer having a roommate or two.
I don't know if u are bringing a car (I'm black also), but you should check out hyde park. it's south, but its pretty diverse racially, and you could easily afford a 1 BR there for under your budget. this area is also close to obama's house as well.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:59 AM

27 posts, read 34,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
Basically anywhere along the red and brown lines on the north side are going to give you easy access to the loop and have a substantial amount of young professionals. Most of those areas are going to be generally on the more diverse side, and I doubt you would have any trouble finding a park with a court, they are plentiful. Not sure about boxing gyms but I think it should be easy to find one with a quick google, I think there are a few in the loop so you might want to go that route for after work.
I second this, red/brown line along the lake are both safe and diverse, with plenty of things to do. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Hyde park is great but isolated, and the Milwaukee/blue line corridor is overpriced and overhyped. If you're not "street smart" try to avoid uptown and Rogers park and you'll be fine.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:59 AM

306 posts, read 365,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyost View Post
If you're not "street smart" try to avoid uptown and Rogers park and you'll be fine.
Thirty or maybe even twenty years ago I would've agreed on Uptown, but not anymore. I've never been concerned in Rogers Park. Plus, you're forgetting the OP is black. He's probably less likely to run into problems in those neighborhoods than if he was white.

I also agree with the red/brown line as previously mentioned. Once you get here, you'll realize you were worried over nothing.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:51 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Mod cut: Orphaned comment (quoted post has been deleted).

What websites do people use for finding rentals?
Realtor.com or?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-24-2017 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
[snip]
What websites do people use for finding rentals?
Realtor.com or?
I think DOMU is the best for rentals in Chicago.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-24-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM

27 posts, read 34,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Thirty or maybe even twenty years ago I would've agreed on Uptown, but not anymore. I've never been concerned in Rogers Park. Plus, you're forgetting the OP is black. He's probably less likely to run into problems in those neighborhoods than if he was white.

I also agree with the red/brown line as previously mentioned. Once you get here, you'll realize you were worried over nothing.
Less than ten years ago when I went to Truman the neighborhood was still infested with P Stones, and the methadone clinic is still there. That being said, up by argyle and down by Buena Park it's nicer. And less than that maybe 5 years ago 2 different (black) guys got shot in broad daylight in Rogers pk over mistaken identity before the bangers finally got the dude they were looking for. Rogers park is too block by block for me to ever feel comfortable but to each their own.
Edit: not to mention if this dudes as oblivious as he thinks he is, rogers park is where that oblivious arizona couple got chased out of when they tried to be big city house flippers. The video went viral it's on youtube somewhere if you want to look it up but they pretty much made every single wrong move, talked to strangers got in fights with homeless people etc etc all because they thought Loyola was in a nice neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago