Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 PM

15 posts, read 36,630 times

Advertisements

My husband has been transfered to Chicago and we are overwhelmed with apartment advertisements and picturesque descriptions.

We are looking to live downtown possibly Gold Coast, or Near North Side. We want the dynamics of downtown, a wonderful apartment experience (leaving a 4 bedroom+ home in Texas), but no cookie cutter apartment ~ looking for a community atmosphere that excepts our third roomate KittyPie.

Need your help in our apartment search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 PM

391 posts, read 1,298,016 times
Craigslist and apartment search compaines are good tools. I highly recommend apartment guys as a apt search company.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 PM

53 posts, read 316,709 times
I would suggest for a nicer place in the gold coast or streeterville, contact a real estate company and rent a condo. There are some nice apartment buildings in both neighborhoods, but the interiors will be cookie cutter. You'd be better off renting a condo from a private owner. You'll have a better quality of life in owner occupied buildings. I highly recommend streeterville for a downtown feeling while being able to walk to everything. More so than in gold coast. Also there are tons of people your age. try the condo buildings on McClurg between grand and the river. There's also a real estate office on Grand off lake shore that handles some rentals. I have used them before. If you do want a building of all apartments, try the streeter. Good luck! by the way, I don't think you'll have any problemswith your kitty. I never did.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,177,367 times
Default check out the ChicagoReader online

The Chicago Reader is a free newspaper with wide circulation (available for pickup) all over the northside and downtown. It not only has art/entertainment sections, but also a large apartment rental section. Their online website feature called "spacefinder" lets you put in a zip code to narrow your search. You might also want to check out 60614 which is the zip for Lincoln Park, just north of the Gold Coast. Great neighborhood.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Smile Thanks for your help ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I would suggest for a nicer place in the gold coast or streeterville, contact a real estate company and rent a condo. There are some nice apartment buildings in both neighborhoods, but the interiors will be cookie cutter. You'd be better off renting a condo from a private owner. You'll have a better quality of life in owner occupied buildings. I highly recommend streeterville for a downtown feeling while being able to walk to everything. More so than in gold coast. Also there are tons of people your age. try the condo buildings on McClurg between grand and the river. There's also a real estate office on Grand off lake shore that handles some rentals. I have used them before. If you do want a building of all apartments, try the streeter. Good luck! by the way, I don't think you'll have any problemswith your kitty. I never did.
Your response has been really helpful, thanks for taking the time. We are going to be in Chicago the month of May and I think having an agency will really help us out ~ Chicago has been a little overwhelming! You mentioned a real estate office that deals in apartment rentals on Grand, would you mind sending me then name of the company and if there is a charge for their service. I love using someone's recommendation in stead of just hoping you pick the right agency. Thanks again!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM

217 posts, read 679,097 times
Default Other options

I'm also searching for an apt in chicago, and have found map-based search sites useful.

Here's two I like the best:

1. Chicago Rental Housing Search Tools - cribQ
It's a nice mashup that combines craigslist and google maps. There's no option to search by the number of beds, but other than that it's very nice.

2. HotPads.com - Chicago, IL Real Estate, Apartments, Homes for Rent and for Sale (http://hotpads.com/map/cities/IL/Chicago.htm - broken link)
Similar to number 1, except a more intuitive interface and it's not craigslist.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,124,809 times
ManChester,

To find good places in Chicago check out

chicagoreader.com

chicago.craigslist.org

Best Wishes!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,624,552 times
OP, what's your price range? How man bedrooms and baths?

If you're interested in Downtown, Gold Coast, and the like--and can afford those prices--I would also suggest the eastern edge of Lincoln Park. It's dense, walkable, but has more of a neighborhood feel (sort of like the Upper West Side of Manhattan). If you can get right on Lincoln Park West or Lakeview Terrace, you will be right across the street from the park with it's zoo, picturesque lagoons, cafes, and recreational space. I think this is one of the nicest "high-end" parts of the city, and feel it has more to offer than the Gold Coast.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 PM

Default Thanks for the cool links!

The links are a terrific help, I don't think I would have ever found them...I am passing them on to another couple that is having trouble finding a place near downtown..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
I'm also searching for an apt in chicago, and have found map-based search sites useful.

Here's two I like the best:

1. Chicago Rental Housing Search Tools - cribQ
It's a nice mashup that combines craigslist and google maps. There's no option to search by the number of beds, but other than that it's very nice.

2. HotPads.com - Chicago, IL Real Estate, Apartments, Homes for Rent and for Sale (http://hotpads.com/map/cities/IL/Chicago.htm - broken link)
Similar to number 1, except a more intuitive interface and it's not craigslist.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM

217 posts, read 679,097 times
Default Your Welcome!

Glad to help! Let me know where you end up, as I'm still looking hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: