Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:45 AM

1,022 posts, read 773,334 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in Miami who visited the city last fall and loves it so much here he wants to move here real bad. Problem is he can only afford to pay rent of 800 a month, maybe 900 at the most. He is used to having a large one bedroom for less but would settle for these tiny city studios if he has too.

And he would prefer living downtown/Gold Coast area but would settle for Lincoln Park/lakeview. I have helped him out as much as I can and tried to let him know that money does not go as far here as it does in most places and that paying the insane rents here for such a tiny room is crazy but he is willing to do that just too live in the city.

Problem is even with settling for a tiny place and not living downtown it still seems impossible to find him a place. I have walked around and contacting places that have signs up. I also contacted this apartment people agency I saw and explained the whole situation to them and they actually said finding him a place in those areas with what he can afford would be no problem. But then after reading tons of reviews from people that used that service it is clear they say a lot of things that are not true so I do not want him using them. If anyone knows of a better service to use please let me know.

I have looked on apartment websites as has he and seriously I would love to know what all of these people do in order to make a living in order too afford these rents! This city is filled with endless wealthy people. I would love to know what they all do as I clearly I am in the wrong career!

Any advice would be appreciated. He wants too live here so bad and I do keep explaining too him though that not only are rents here insane and for small rooms but also the cost of living here is bad which is why people keep leaving not only the city but Illinois. But as depressed as he is getting over hearing that he is still determined to find a way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 PM

796 posts, read 929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I have a friend in Miami who visited the city last fall and loves it so much here he wants to move here real bad. Problem is he can only afford to pay rent of 800 a month, maybe 900 at the most. He is used to having a large one bedroom for less but would settle for these tiny city studios if he has too.

And he would prefer living downtown/Gold Coast area but would settle for Lincoln Park/lakeview. I have helped him out as much as I can and tried to let him know that money does not go as far here as it does in most places and that paying the insane rents here for such a tiny room is crazy but he is willing to do that just too live in the city.

Problem is even with settling for a tiny place and not living downtown it still seems impossible to find him a place. I have walked around and contacting places that have signs up. I also contacted this apartment people agency I saw and explained the whole situation to them and they actually said finding him a place in those areas with what he can afford would be no problem. But then after reading tons of reviews from people that used that service it is clear they say a lot of things that are not true so I do not want him using them. If anyone knows of a better service to use please let me know.

I have looked on apartment websites as has he and seriously I would love to know what all of these people do in order to make a living in order too afford these rents! This city is filled with endless wealthy people. I would love to know what they all do as I clearly I am in the wrong career!

Any advice would be appreciated. He wants too live here so bad and I do keep explaining too him though that not only are rents here insane and for small rooms but also the cost of living here is bad which is why people keep leaving not only the city but Illinois. But as depressed as he is getting over hearing that he is still determined to find a way
OK, this is NOT happening unless we're talking about roommates.

You'd be hard pressed to find 1BR apartments ANYWHERE in chicago for $800.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Right but what about a studio as I mentioned he is willing to settle for a tiny studio which I think is nuts for what they charge but he is willing

Old 02-23-2017, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 5,186 times
Tell your friend that his budget and downtown/Gold Coast location parameters will make it nearly impossible to find a place to live.

I did find this on Craigslist

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5983980848.html

Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameMeDifferentUserName View Post
Tell your friend that his budget and downtown/Gold Coast location parameters will make it nearly impossible to find a place to live.

Thanks that actually looks like a good deal!

Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM

201 posts, read 277,894 times
Honestly, rents in Chicago really aren't that crazy, keep in mind that you are asking to find a one bedroom in basically the most desirable 4 neighborhoods in the entire city of 2 million plus people. No one would consider living in LP/Lakeview "Settling". Also $900 is a pretty low budget for someone with a white-collar type office job, which is who you will mostly find living in the neighborhoods you mentioned.

That said, you can find some studios in LP and Lakeview for less than $900. I would use domu.com.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:21 PM

796 posts, read 929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameMeDifferentUserName View Post

that's shocking. but 300 sq ft, is EXTREMELY tight.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
Honestly, rents in Chicago really aren't that crazy, keep in mind that you are asking to find a one bedroom in basically the most desirable 4 neighborhoods in the entire city of 2 million plus people. No one would consider living in LP/Lakeview "Settling". Also $900 is a pretty low budget for someone with a white-collar type office job, which is who you will mostly find living in the neighborhoods you mentioned.

That said, you can find some studios in LP and Lakeview for less than $900. I would use domu.com.
So Lakeview a studio can be found under 900 ok I will check into domu.com thank you! IDK about 900 being low budget for someone with a white collar job though. I think it depends on the job. I am an accounting clerk myself and 900 is a lot for me to pay for rent! Although you could dump the car and save on that but then you have to pay for CTA

Oh I forgot too mention too that I understand from some people that have lived on the North side that roaches can be a big problem so is that another concern if paying under 1000 for a place in the city?

Last edited by prhill; 02-23-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
Look outside the most expensive neighborhoods in Chicago, and he might have a chance. He would have better odds if he was able to find a decent roommate situation, which would get him acclimated to the city a bit easier. Try NW Chicago, along the Blue Line, or maybe Evanston, when all the college kids finish school in May. Chicago isn't cheap, but it's not NYC or SF, or even Boston, in terms of housing costs....

Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Look outside the most expensive neighborhoods in Chicago, and he might have a chance. He would have better odds if he was able to find a decent roommate situation, which would get him acclimated to the city a bit easier. Try NW Chicago, along the Blue Line, or maybe Evanston, when all the college kids finish school in May. Chicago isn't cheap, but it's not NYC or SF, or even Boston, in terms of housing costs....
Yeah he was thinking about doing the roommate thing. Sounds like his best bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago