Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM

149 posts, read 454,308 times
1. Expand highways. I hate them and the people who use them and don't need to, but they're necessary. One reason I'll likely leave the city someday for another state is I have clients 25 miles to the west and 25 miles to the north along with clients in the loop. The clients to the north & west usually mean 1.5 to 3 hours commuting each day, 4 hours one way in the snow a couple times this year.

2. Expand public transit. This is the slam dunk. Put a stop at United Center. Put something along the lake in LP/Lakeview that goes straight out to Midway. Expand the Metra.

1. Least likely to happen and most inflamatory: Seperate the city into (Loop + Northside) as Chicago & Southside as it's own deal. Seems like southside creates a ton of drain,but not much financial benefit from my limited experience. I think this would go a long way to solving the corruption issue too. The Machine is much stronger in the south and as shown by Quigley, the North is more open to going against the flow.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 PM

34 posts, read 93,046 times
It would involve a nuclear warhead.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSDetroit View Post
Then we'd have two Detroits.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 PM

527 posts, read 1,244,576 times
Default are you a terrorist

Are you a dirty terrorist and you are from Detroit, and you are Pittsteelerfan all in one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSDetroit View Post

Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM

18 posts, read 30,386 times
A new mayor...

Old 03-17-2009, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 10,268 times
ILlinois state's tax returns website. Its horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am curious of your thoughts.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.rtp View Post
ILlinois state's tax returns website. Its horrible
Whatever.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
1. Expand highways. I hate them and the people who use them and don't need to, but they're necessary. One reason I'll likely leave the city someday for another state is I have clients 25 miles to the west and 25 miles to the north along with clients in the loop. The clients to the north & west usually mean 1.5 to 3 hours commuting each day, 4 hours one way in the snow a couple times this year.

2. Expand public transit. This is the slam dunk. Put a stop at United Center. Put something along the lake in LP/Lakeview that goes straight out to Midway. Expand the Metra.

1. Least likely to happen and most inflamatory: Seperate the city into (Loop + Northside) as Chicago & Southside as it's own deal. Seems like southside creates a ton of drain,but not much financial benefit from my limited experience. I think this would go a long way to solving the corruption issue too. The Machine is much stronger in the south and as shown by Quigley, the North is more open to going against the flow.
Are you kidding with seperating the southside from the city? In my opinion, the southside gives Chicago that realness as a city. However I do feel like Chicago is seperated into 3 or 4 boroughs: Northside, Westside, Southside, and Downtown. You have people in Chicago that rarely go to other sides of the city.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 PM

527 posts, read 1,244,576 times
Thumbs up Yesss!!

YESS!!!! YOU are so frigging right. Plus the displaced housing would help float the real estate market for current owners. I love it.

I still thinkChicago is better than NYC though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Def. widen the roads first! 55 is the main in and out for over a million people from Joliet to the Loop and is only 3 lanes wide on each side??? Who are they trying to kid here? That thing should be at least 5 lanes wide on each side, and here is the best part... It is already paved! There is currently a shoulder on both sides of the Stevie that could easily house an additional 2 lanes on each side (in the center) but for some dumb ***** reason they won't do it. Years ago when the Stevenson was being repaved, I read in the Trib that it was supposed to be widened to 4 lanes on each side, but because people were speeding through there, the state decided to leave it at it's current 3 lane design to slow traffic.... HMMMMM heres a thought... PUT OUT MORE COPS THEN! Don't punish everyone and keep everyone in stop and go traffic because a few were speeding. STUPID! The EDENS... Now theres another complete joke! 3 piddily little lanes on each side and in many parts there isn't even a shoulder, just a wall! How safe is that! Now the Ryan and Borman I have to give the state credit where its due... Those both turned out really nice and it was nice to see IL play nicely with IN for a change to get 80/94 done as quickly as possible. 294??? Well that needs def. improvement and to be repaved badly as well as 290 another dinky little 3 laner.

Lastly, coordinate the signals with eachother already! I had the wonderful experience of driving north bound on State over the weekend. HOLY CRAP what a joke. You cannot make a single green light on that thing. When your light turns green, the next turns red. Talk about a way to just pi$$ everyone off and make everyone drive like a bunch of @sses. Take lessons from NY, Chicago. You want to be the next NY, that is obvious with the taxes and costs skyrocketing here like they are over there, but in order to be another NY, Chicago needs to do things to clean up how difficult it is to get around here. When I would drive through Manhattan years ago, I could make it from 34th to about 42nd going north on 8th Ave before being stopped by a red light and everyone would be doing about 35-40 MPH and this is right in Manhattan! Try doing that in the Loop. Its more like take State, get stopped at Monroe, to again stop at Madison, then Washington, so on and so on. Very frustrating.

Watch the difference for yourself

NY -
YouTube - Open top bus driving through new york
Chicago -
YouTube - Downtown Chicago (Wacker / Michigan) - November 23, 2007 (The best part is that the traffic is no where near as heavy and this person is in a car vs a bus but hits one red light after the next. VERY AGGRAVATING!)

Again NY (this time it is sped up, count how many signals you can make it through before being stopped)
YouTube - Fun Driving Through New York City! See a difference??? NOW THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!

THIS IS 2008 NOT 1968! Get some real computerized signals already Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago