Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, technically we arent Chicagoans by any stretch of the word. Chicagoans are those that live in Chicago. If anything we're "metro-Chicagoans".
But I think we still have the right to B. M. & C. right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
But I think we still have the right to B. M. & C. right?
You lost me.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
B**ch, moan and complain

Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
B**ch, moan and complain
Thank you.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
B**ch, moan and complain
LOL

I was going the complete opposite direction with that one.

Yeah, we can whine n moan, but it doesnt make us Chicagoans. In fact, we have less in the burbs to whine n moan about than they do, so I think we have it a little easier.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Give me a break...the whole I live in the city limits I'm a chicagon your not is so 5th GRADE! Really, get over yourself. I'm really proud of you with your street cred, but my dad could beat up your dad from Berwyn, or whatever, cause my dad took street cars to school (he did, but that is beside the point). Whatever! Seriously, most of us in the suburbs have deeper ties than the so called Chicagoans that moved there 5 minutes ago. This is one of the main reasons I dont live in Chicago -- I get so annoyed by the "knowitalls" .....whatever this is futile and I knew it before I started writing.

Anyway, I'm in the camp with NYRules on this. This is a metro area now, like it or not, living within the city limits doesn't make you a different species, and most of us in the suburbs have probably been in this area a lot longer than most of the so called "chicagoans" you speak of. So many of us have moved back and forth from that city limit enough times that you just sound so arrogant.....soo annoying, so sheltered in your own little bitty world. I'm staring to feel like one of the Wisconsin people that hate Illinois people. I GET IT.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Give me a break...the whole I live in the city limits I'm a chicagon your not is so 5th GRADE! Really, get over yourself. I'm really proud of you with your street cred, but my dad could beat up your dad from Berwyn, or whatever, cause my dad took street cars to school (he did, but that is beside the point). Whatever! Seriously, most of us in the suburbs have deeper ties than the so called Chicagoans that moved there 5 minutes ago. This is one of the main reasons I dont live in Chicago -- I get so annoyed by the "knowitalls" .....whatever this is futile and I knew it before I started writing.

Anyway, I'm in the camp with NYRules on this. This is a metro area now, like it or not, living within the city limits doesn't make you a different species, and most of us in the suburbs have probably been in this area a lot longer than most of the so called "chicagoans" you speak of. So many of us have moved back and forth from that city limit enough times that you just sound so arrogant.....soo annoying, so sheltered in your own little bitty world. I'm staring to feel like one of the Wisconsin people that hate Illinois people. I GET IT.
Well said! It does make me laugh when I meet some city dwellers that think they're so much more "Chicagoan" than me because they've lived, say, the last 6 mos. in Lincoln Park. I'm like 4th generation Chicagoan. My Italian and German ancestors helped build the city. I've owned businesses/real estate in the city and have lived in and out of the city for decades (I will not divulge how many exact decades ). Just because, at this particular moment in my life, we are raising our kids in the burbs, does not mean we are not "Chicagoan".

Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
rgb123, GoCUBS1 - well put. While I have lived in the city proper for 12+ years, I grew up in the suburbs and absolutely feel that they are just as much a part of this thing that is 'Chicago'. Good grief, it isn't as if everything changes the moment you, I don't know, cross the street into Evergreen Park. People need to get over this whole 'city/burbs' thing, it is silly.

Ironically enough, it is often the people who have spent the least amount of time in Chicago that rail on this issue the most.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Today municipal borders are somewhat meaningless in terms of separating the economic entities known as cities. "Chicago" definitely encompasses the city and suburbs, and we really do need to think of it this way. I'd like to see some form of regional governance enacted like like the have in Portland, OR--particularly in the areas of planning and transportation. Portland's "Urban Growth Boundary" has been a stunning success in making that a liveable metro area.

But, suburbanites, you can't have it both ways. If you are truly "Chicagoans", then you should take some responsibility for the city. Let's not forget that the post-war suburbs were created to sort of "wall off" the poor in the city in the name of protecting "nice American families". In many ways, the suburbs allowed middle-class Americans an escape from urban problems, but also urban responsibilities. It made the poor someone else's problem. So, you want to be "Chicago"? Then be "Chicago" and start thinking about what's good for the whole region--not just your littled protected hamlet in Will County or wherever else.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
People need to get over this whole 'city/burbs' thing, it is silly.
You're missing the point. I think it's more of a "my lifestyle is better than yours" kind of a thing than city vs. suburb. And that's what really makes people get upset. Note that most of the "city snobs" don't get down on people who live in "urban" suburbs like Oak Park, Evanston, Berwyn, etc.

There are many compelling reasons to hate the urban sprawl (traffic, ugly landscape, parking lots, lack of public realm). And there are many reasons to hate the city (crowdedness, lack of open space, cost, crime). It's a matter of personal choice, affordability, and political beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago