Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 04:19 PM

97 posts, read 138,166 times

Advertisements

Has anybody seen gas meters on the inside of an apartment unit? Mine are in the bathrooms. I don't know what to do, I guess the right thing would do is to call peoples gas and see if they can relocate it outside. I'd like to begin remodeling my bathrooms but Im not sure how long the process will be to relocate gas meters from inside to outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating a gas meter-img_2609.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If you have not already bothered to check the site you might be surprised that is a FAQ -- New Construction/Rehab Process (Peoples Gas)

Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM

796 posts, read 929,925 times
my old house, it was located in the front of the house outside next to the porch stairs. at my current house, it's located in my basement in a makeshift closet.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:37 PM

97 posts, read 138,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have not already bothered to check the site you might be surprised that is a FAQ -- New Construction/Rehab Process (Peoples Gas)
Wow. Thanks Chet, actually I did check the website. I was looking more for personal experiences Trust me, I'm a master at Googling and did my best

Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM

The process can be done quickly -- if you hire a private contractor to prep all the connections and just rely on the gas company the turn around time is less than a month. Of course you have to pay for that speed. If you wait for the gas company to do the whole thing, especially with remodeling season picking up, the turn around is far longer.

I had one rental property where they sent a notice that they'd be scheduling meter relocation and it took about 20 months before it finally got done -- that did involve mix up with the tenant who freaked out when they were told the old meter had mercury in it, but if you don't write provisions into the lease for "access to utility providers as the provider deems necessary" you leave your open to tenants that freak out///

Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM

306 posts, read 364,956 times
Quote:
The process can be done quickly -- if you hire a private contractor to prep all the connections and just rely on the gas company the turn around time is less than a month. Of course you have to pay for that speed. If you wait for the gas company to do the whole thing, especially with remodeling season picking up, the turn around is far longer.
Is it free if you let the gas company handle all of it?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:54 PM

Default Depends on how old the meter is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Is it free if you let the gas company handle all of it?
...the older meters have issues with accuracy / toxicity. If the meter is newer they probably will have a fee, though if the meter is NOT readable from outside they may waive the fee...

Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 PM

306 posts, read 364,956 times
Quote:
...the older meters have issues with accuracy / toxicity. If the meter is newer they probably will have a fee, though if the meter is NOT readable from outside they may waive the fee...
Thanks. They updated my meters a couple (?) of years ago so they can be read remotely now so I was curious more than anything else. Used to be a PITA to have to let them in for readings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago