Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM

70 posts, read 58,899 times

Advertisements

What does Chicago need to make it more exciting for more people and compete with other top tourist destinations in the US?

It can't have the attractions NYC has, there's only one Vegas, it won't have an Orlando Disney World, it won't have a Venice Beach, etc.

Are the same festivals year after year and same museums (that other cities have) enough?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:59 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Doesn't it do pretty decently on tourism already?

I guess if it wants to move up in tourism Chicago needs its own unique identity besides snow. LA has Hollywood and beautiful people; NYC has Broadway, the Empire State Building, etc etc; Miami had beautiful beaches and the ultimate nightlife; Texas is Texas LOL, etc. Chicago right now is known as kind of NYC-light with snow and maybe a crime wave. Plus a history of city corruption, though that's probably not fair.

That said I like Chicago a lot. I'm just trying to think of the kinds of things that drive international (and national) tourism.

Last edited by Tinawina; 03-20-2017 at 09:22 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
Promote the architecture more, maybe?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Chicago had 54.1 million visitors last year. In comparison, Los Angeles County (not the city alone) had 47.3 million visitors last year. Chicago's trouble is that only 1.56 million of its visitors were international visitors in comparison to LA's 7.1 million. Chicago needs to do a better job marketing itself internationally, but when it comes to domestic tourists, Chicago has no major problems.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Chicago had 54.1 million visitors last year. In comparison, Los Angeles County (not the city alone) had 47.3 million visitors last year. Chicago's trouble is that only 1.56 million of its visitors were international visitors in comparison to LA's 7.1 million. Chicago needs to do a better job marketing itself internationally, but when it comes to domestic tourists, Chicago has no major problems.
You make an interesting point. One of my French friends wants to visit the US for the first time. Guess where she wants to go? NYC

I asked her about coming to Chicago. She has heard of the city, but would rather go to NYC because of the tourist options available.

I'm really not sure why more people don't come to the US to visit scenery. There are plenty of big cities in Europe that are comparable to NYC. If you're from Paris or London, NYC really isn't anything special. The nice thing about Chicago is that you can easily do "big city" stuff and scenery at the same time.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
While this won't help with international visitors, Chicago honestly should plug Lake Michigan more. It's obviously only going to be an attraction for part of the year, but it's rather shocking how many people don't realize how big it is and that Chicago has beaches and harbors. Pushing the idea of being able to eat and drink by the water, renting a boat and going out on the water on your own or with a driver, etc, could be an extra boon to the city. Obviously it won't draw more people to the city on that point alone, but it's certainly a fun way to spend afternoon that a lot of people don't think about.

As for international visitors, Chicago really needs to get its name out there. That's probably half the battle. The city could hype its amenities, music festivals, and price point in comparison to other large cities. We're already in the top 10 cities when it comes to international visitors, but we're at the bottom. Either #9 or 10 depending on the year. We can do better than that.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
While this won't help with international visitors, Chicago honestly should plug Lake Michigan more. It's obviously only going to be an attraction for part of the year, but it's rather shocking how many people don't realize how big it is and that Chicago has beaches and harbors. Pushing the idea of being able to eat and drink by the water, renting a boat and going out on the water on your own or with a driver, etc, could be an extra boon to the city. Obviously it won't draw more people to the city on that point alone, but it's certainly a fun way to spend afternoon that a lot of people don't think about.

As for international visitors, Chicago really needs to get its name out there. That's probably half the battle. The city could hype its amenities, music festivals, and price point in comparison to other large cities. We're already in the top 10 cities when it comes to international visitors, but we're at the bottom. Either #9 or 10 depending on the year. We can do better than that.
Hmm I've been to Chicago many times but the beaches never crossed my mind, same is true for NYC if they even have beaches nearby I'm not even sure? I'm not sure that just marketing it would help though, in LA and Miami beaches are a cultural, a way of life, you don't seek them out necessarily, it's just where everything is already happening. I've never got that impression in Chicago. Marketing whatever is there for boardwalks, restaurants with a view etc... certainly wouldn't hurt.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
As a new friend of mine from Florida recently said Chicago seems very underrated. He and his family went to New York as he wanted to move to a huge city and wanted to check it out and loved it and decided to move there. Then he was curious about Chicago and they came here and he said Chicago blows New York away and now he is looking to move here instead.

He says Chicago seems to not have the reputation of places like New York city and other places when it should as it is so much better. In fact he told me one family member did not want to come due to the one thing we are known for now which is violence. But after coming here even that person fell in love and wants to move here as well. Seems once people are here they love it. But many do not come to see how great this city is because Chicago does not promote itself enough and does not have the reputation of other places or it has a bad reputation.

I have talked to tons of tourists over many years and all of them had nothing but great things to say about Chicago. That is until recently though. I am finding when I talk to them now that instead of talking right away about all the things they love they now start talking right away about how in all of the places they visit never did they have to keep paying a stupid tax on bags! And they find this bag tax they have to pay every time they shop to be really dumb and annoying. But once they get that out of their system they then still talk about how great the city is

Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:

Absolutely. Lake Michigan is a gem of a body of water, and should be emphasized on summer vacationers, especially..

Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
While this won't help with international visitors, Chicago honestly should plug Lake Michigan more. It's obviously only going to be an attraction for part of the year, but it's rather shocking how many people don't realize how big it is and that Chicago has beaches and harbors. Pushing the idea of being able to eat and drink by the water, renting a boat and going out on the water on your own or with a driver, etc, could be an extra boon to the city.
+1. That's what I was going to suggest. I've kept a boat on Lake Mich for decades, the lake is a treasure. And Chicago has preserved a lot of lakefront for public access, you don't need a boat to enjoy the lake by any means. Every guest I've had visit, and taken up to Lake Mich has remarked, 'Wow, I had no idea, it looks like the ocean. It even has surf/waves!'

Chicago has become world class for restaurants too. I'm not sure how well known that is.

As noted in the figures above, Chicago does well in numbers of visitors. I think Chicago has promoted itself more to appeal to business and conventions instead of family tourists. So Chicago does better than the OP may realize, it's just not a location individuals think of first or family vacations.

And as much as we enjoy Chicago, there's just no way Chicago or any other US city is going to surpass NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago