Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:45 PM

76 posts, read 95,695 times

Advertisements

So basically after living in Chicago a few years I realized how corrupt it really is here. 10.25% sales tax, tax on digital services, taxes on car leases for the full price of the car, red light tickets, speeding tickets, etc.

That being said, a few months back my dad, who lives in another state, received the following letter for his car (he was visiting) - do they really have the authority to do any of this? Over a red light ticket? Weren't red light tickets outlawed a while ago?

Last edited by Mirinjobra; 03-18-2017 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 03:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
If it is just one ticket which is what seems to be indicated I'd just ignore it at this point and don't bring your car into the city. They will just keep sending threatening letters but as long your father keeps out of the city there is not much they can do. If he comes into the city will probably boot him.

Unfortunately red light cameras and now speed cameras are here to stay as well as the waste of human flesh politicians running things.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If it is just one ticket which is what seems to be indicated I'd just ignore it at this point and don't bring your car into the city. They will just keep sending threatening letters but as long your father keeps out of the city there is not much they can do. If he comes into the city will probably boot him.

Unfortunately red light cameras and now speed cameras are here to stay as well as the waste of human flesh politicians running things.
Well the truth is, I use the car in the city but it's not registered in my name.

I thought they can only boot the car if there's three or more tickets? What about wage garnishment?

Old 03-18-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinjobra View Post
Well the truth is, I use the car in the city but it's not registered in my name.

I thought they can only boot the car if there's three or more tickets? What about wage garnishment?
They aren't going to do wage garnishment for 1 ticket $220. As for the three tickets before they boot you I wouldn't count on it but you can go ahead and risk it. It will cost you an extra few hundred if they do. The city is insolvent so they are only going to get more aggressive with collections and camera tickets. The other possibility is that they intercept any tax refund going to your father and take it out of that but it isn't worth the administration costs for just 1 ticket and $220 so I really doubt it.

At this point the city will mainly just keep sending scary letters and possibly boot the car if they have the chance.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinjobra View Post

I don't know why you think it is 'corruption' that the city expects you to pay the ticket you got when you ran a red light. There's no jurisdiction in the country that would expect anything less.

But as it says right there in the letter you posted...they can boot your car IF you have more than three tickets, or if your unpaid ticket is more than a year old.

The biggest scofflaws in the city (which are posted annually in the Trib I believe) are usually city employees. So I wouldn't worry too much about wage garnishment. But....why not just pay it, and learn to stop running red lights?

Old 03-18-2017, 03:52 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Standard collection agency tactics.

Note how it says they have the legal right to do those things, not that they are actually doing them. They'd have to take him to court and get a judge to rule in favor of wage garnishment, etc. before it happened.

That being said... if he ran a red light - or if you did while driving his car -- the ticket still needs to get paid. This sounds like he ignored it for too long.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I don't know why you think it is 'corruption' that the city expects you to pay the ticket you got when you ran a red light. There's no jurisdiction in the country that would expect anything less.

But as it says right there in the letter you posted...they can boot your car IF you have more than three tickets, or if your unpaid ticket is more than a year old.

The biggest scofflaws in the city (which are posted annually in the Trib I believe) are usually city employees. So I wouldn't worry too much about wage garnishment. But....why not just pay it, and learn to stop running red lights?
I think it says they can boot my car if I have more than three tickets or if I have MORE than one ticket that is over a year old.. so I'm good

These red light tickets were ruled to be illegal by a judge last year until another judge overruled that decision.

Quote:
Standard collection agency tactics.

Note how it says they have the legal right to do those things, not that they are actually doing them. They'd have to take him to court and get a judge to rule in favor of wage garnishment, etc. before it happened.

That being said... if he ran a red light - or if you did while driving his car -- the ticket still needs to get paid. This sounds like he ignored it for too long.
I just don't want my dad's wages to be garnished or something. They can't do anything to his car because I have it, and they have no idea about that.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Default Unpaid traffic ticket leads to jail time

Alabama City Pays for 'Debtors Prison'

Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
It could have something to do with the fact that a senior city official and company exec were convicted of bribery and corruption and given a prison sentence in connection with the red light camera program. Also the majority of tickets aren't people blatantly running red lights, they are people making right turns on red and stopping past the stop line so they can see. It is just extortion under the pretext of safety and law enforcement.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It could have something to do with the fact that a senior city official and company exec were convicted of bribery and corruption and given a prison sentence in connection with the red light camera program. Also the majority of tickets aren't people blatantly running red lights, they are people making right turns on red and stopping past the stop line so they can see. It is just extortion under the pretext of safety and law enforcement.
Got an angry call from my dad asking what if they decide to increase the cost of the fine?

He was also asking what if the administrative costs they incur to garnish his wages get added onto the cost of the fine?

Are these valid questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: