Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:57 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,357 times

Advertisements

I used to do it. But now that I've been in the suburbs for a while.... it doesn't really matter.
You can live on the other side of Austin ave "Chicago" people will look down like you have no idea what the Chicago culture is about.

Quite annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 02:13 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,483 times
This is not universally true. I prefer the city to the suburbs, but I was raised in the suburbs and have no real issue with them.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,334 times
I hated living in the burbs, but I have never known anyone who looks down on them except for that one talk show radio host that used to refer to them as Lawnheads.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 848,388 times
who cares
Id rather live in the country than either burbs or the city unless ofcourse I'm insanely rich or have a sugar mama who lives in the city

Old 04-11-2017, 02:32 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,418 times
After being homeless and hanging around various places, I find the suburbs nice, too, and quite a change from living in Wicker Park.

Oh, I shouldn't say "homeless..." Rather I live in a "Makeshift RV!" And I got a 3 story house worth's of possessions!

Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times
I dunno, maybe because in the burbs we do not have to pay high taxes in addition to private school tuition?

Old 04-11-2017, 03:34 PM

596 posts, read 820,328 times
Because they have more money and are superior.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
This is typical of any urban place compared to any suburban place, nothing really unique about Chicago. I think urban dwellers think of themselves as putting up with more, able to handle more, access to more, more culture, they're more "awake" in that sense.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Simpler than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is typical of any urban place compared to any suburban place, nothing really unique about Chicago. I think urban dwellers think of themselves as putting up with more, able to handle more, access to more, more culture, they're more "awake" in that sense.
The majority of posters on the Chicago forum either grew up in far away places or moved from the suburbs to the city. They may say they have "no real issue" with where they came from but their biases are readily apparent.

Most such folks did not participate in any of the nicer cultural offerings that smaller cities and suburbs offer nor do they partake in many of the offerings available in Chicago. They did not appreciate the simple things like flowers that bloom or birds that sing. They associated those things with normalcy and blandness and that motivated them to move someplace "more exciting". The false belief that they could find that fulfilling is utterly counter to reality. That lack of connection fosters a kind of existential hollowness and inability to appreciate the real reasons for being -- instead of forming deeper bonds to others they drift from pathetic beer soaked experiences in college to similar sad efforts to recreate such "fun" in ever more hip night spots, some of which ironically play up their sad "dive bar" themes.

Eventually a fair number do come to realize there are better ways to get on with their life, but for those that cling to the fake fun there are plenty more in the same herd in the city than in the suburbs ...

Old 04-11-2017, 04:57 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
If anything, people in major cities such as Chicago are some of the least "awake" people in human history. Mindless zombies drifting through a monotonous 9 to 5 existence. Completely removed from nature and the wider workings of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago