Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
You'd be surprised at how few people there are who like spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to gain the slim chance of working 22 hours a day for 6 years to make partner.
I would be surprised. I'm an architect. People in my profession work 22 hours a day for years, but rarely get paid well. We're the dumbest profession out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Coldwine---Good post.

I've no truck with those unwilling to work but when those who are willing to work are unable you've a recipe for trouble.

The lazy deserve nothing and don't signify anyway as they lack the resolution and work ethic to cause real trouble.

I believe in loyalty to my fellow countrymen and my fellow workers too---it's the loyalty of unionists to each other that gives us the economic and social benefits we enjoy. Now maybe loyalty is of no use in your line of work but there are still endeavors where it's economically advantageous. And the fact that loyalty is considered a virtue in most societies may mean that there are economic advantages to it that we're currently too short sighted to appreciate. Loyalty is a long term tactic and we're too focused on the short term advantage. Loyalty might make a big comeback.

Actually we may think more alike than not. On some things.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I would be surprised. I'm an architect. People in my profession work 22 hours a day for years, but rarely get paid well. We're the dumbest profession out there.
You still have yet to explain yourselves for the Yale School of Art and Architecture or the Chicago Public Library.

I won't even mention Dubai.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
You still have yet to explain yourselves for the Yale School of Art and Architecture or the Chicago Public Library.

I won't even mention Dubai.

The Chicago Public Library is pretty universally despised by architects.

The Yale School of Art and Architecture is wonderful composition of forms on the exterior, but this doesn't translate into functional interior spaces. And a non-architect will never appreciate a good cast-in-place concrete job like an architect will.

Don't mention Dubai. I've spent about three years of my career on wild Dubai projects, but the place scares the crap out of me. It's the freakiest form of urbanism on the planet. And the bust there has guaranteed that the ranks of unemployed architects will be full for years to come.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Coldwine---Good post.

I've no truck with those unwilling to work but when those who are willing to work are unable you've a recipe for trouble.

The lazy deserve nothing and don't signify anyway as they lack the resolution and work ethic to cause real trouble.

I believe in loyalty to my fellow countrymen and my fellow workers too---it's the loyalty of unionists to each other that gives us the economic and social benefits we enjoy. Now maybe loyalty is of no use in your line of work but there are still endeavors where it's economically advantageous. And the fact that loyalty is considered a virtue in most societies may mean that there are economic advantages to it that we're currently too short sighted to appreciate. Loyalty is a long term tactic and we're too focused on the short term advantage. Loyalty might make a big comeback.

Actually we may think more alike than not. On some things.
I'm a lawyer. It's my job to plan for all events in which my clients might suffer because of a lack of loyalty.

I myself am dangerously close to losing any and all loyalty in mankind, especially after living in Brazil.

I understand what you're saying. I also understand that I'm analyzing this from a very logical viewpoint, whereas the chronically unemployed and uneducated probably aren't too concerned with much beyond wanting to survive. The stark lines of wealth in this country have drawn much hostility between us.

I don't believe loyalty will ever make a comeback. The next generation of kids entering the job market have grown up being shown time and again that loyalty does not pay. That they will lose their jobs in the blink of an eye when a less expensive alternative pops up.

But to be completely honest, I don't think it's a bad thing. I didn't go to college and accrue debt so that I might one day earn a shareholder who provides not a single ****ing thing to my corporation with a profitable return. The entire concept of a shareholder pisses me off, especially as an accountant-- I have a very keen sense of exactly where value and revenue generation lie (what a place for a verb to be a noun!)

I know that one day, whether it's tomorrow (and it could very likely be) or ten years from now, I'm going to lose my job. And that'll be it, it'll be over. I won't ever be able to work in this industry again when it happens. I could probably find a position as legal counsel for a corporation, but they've cut down so much on their legal help that the pickins are slim.

To that end, I've saved and scrimped and invested. Hopefully, when the time comes, I won't have to work anymore. Wealth is a false sense of security. If you don't know that, you're a yuppie. If you want to buy into the lie, you're not.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
So Lookout, what do you think of the Carbon and Carbide Building, the Mather Tower and the Pure Oil Building? I like all of them.

And I think the Board of Trade is so cool. I worked down there for EF Hutton in the "yuppie" phase of my life.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The Chicago Public Library is pretty universally despised by architects.

The Yale School of Art and Architecture is wonderful composition of forms on the exterior, but this doesn't translate into functional interior spaces. And a non-architect will never appreciate a good cast-in-place concrete job like an architect will.

Don't mention Dubai. I've spent about three years of my career on wild Dubai projects, but the place scares the crap out of me. It's the freakiest form of urbanism on the planet. And the bust there has guaranteed that the ranks of unemployed architects will be full for years to come.
Bad architect.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
I'm a lawyer. It's my job to plan for all events in which my clients might suffer because of a lack of loyalty...

...The entire concept of a shareholder pisses me off, especially as an accountant-- I have a very keen sense of exactly where value and revenue generation lie (what a place for a verb to be a noun!)...
You are an Accountant and a Lawyer?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You are an Accountant and a Lawyer?
I'm a JD CPA, yes.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Thanks for having a part in ****ing up this country.

There is a reason you do not live in the U.S.A. anymore.

You might get lucky and avoid the pitchforks. Then again maybe you will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago