U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:34 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,766,668 times

Advertisements

We are all limited by luck, circumstance, and genetics. Those who apply that small component of free will that we all possess to get the most out of what they are given are the ones who I admire and consider successful. That could equally be a factory worker, a teacher, or a business mogul. I would say though that it includes many fewer people than those who generally consider themselves a great success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 PM

5,244 posts, read 8,167,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
We are all limited by luck, circumstance, and genetics. Those who apply that small component of free will that we all possess to get the most out of what they are given are the ones who I admire and consider successful. That could equally be a factory worker, a teacher, or a business mogul. I would say though that it includes many fewer people than those who generally consider themselves a great success.
Well stated.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 PM
NSX

865 posts, read 1,125,967 times
I have met plenty of intelligent and hard-working people in my travels to Mexico, who are living just above the poverty line. They are not any dumber or lazier than some yuppie wall-street banker. They made no conscious choice to be born where they were, and anyone who thinks that "luck has nothing to do with success" is completely delusional.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:23 AM

381 posts, read 483,908 times
^ I agree. It's very clear that those born in wealthy families have a higher chance of success. The resources that are available to them (education, networking, lifestyles) help maintain their social status and class. One does not have the choice to what social class they are born in or what country.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM

12,062 posts, read 18,980,775 times
It's not just about wealth either though -- that's my key point. My mom was raising me and my three brothers alone with very little help as a special ed teacher with a masters and 20+ years of experience making less than 35k a year.

The differences between a lower middle class family teetering on the edge like mine and one in the same boat whose parent(s) was/were uneducated and didn't place a high priority on education are immense.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 PM

10,585 posts, read 18,021,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
Tell me the probability that I would be born to the couple in the next flat? The answer is of course 0% as they could not produce my unique genetic makeup.
Right, cause that would take some strange potion cooked up by a mad super villain and a radioactive spider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago