Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,932 times

Advertisements

Yuppies:
Urban Dictionary: yuppie

Hispters:
Urban Dictionary: hipster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
I like the first entry, lol.

It reminded me that I'm out of PBR, and need to get another case. I'm no hipster, just a a cheapskate. Good beer is not something I spend my money on.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
HIPSTER BINGO!

hipster bingo

Go down to Logan Square or Ukrainian Village or Pilsen and have a rousing game of bingo!!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
What's the difference between a yuppie and a "spoiled rich kid?" I personally have never known anyone who was a yuppie who didn't start out being a spoiled rich kid.
Some friends of mine are yuppies and did not grow up rich. Shockingly they are more of a yuppie than most yuppies that did grow up rich.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:24 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Some friends of mine are yuppies and did not grow up rich. Shockingly they are more of a yuppie than most yuppies that did grow up rich.
People who have something to prove are the ones who often go over the top.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
People who have something to prove are the ones who often go over the top.
It is also somewhat like someone who has won the lottery. They do not know how to deal with having way more money than they have been used to for all of their life so they go all out.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
One thing I've always admired about Chicago (compared to Miami and Latin America) is that people tend not to be this way -- they are more grounded and secure and don't feel the need to show off materially. Of course there are exceptions but as a general rule more substance and down-to-earth values runs deeply through the fabric of the entire area, even where people have money. In Miami I literally knew adults whose entire life (and paycheck) revolved around what car they drove. I don't see Chicago ever being like that.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default The Car you Drive says nothing

My dad has always said that there are 4 levels of wealth:

1.) Poor people who worry about the clothes they wear

2.) Less Poor People who worry about the cars they drive (they have plenty of money for clothes, and obsess about their car)

3.) Even Less Poor People who worry about the house they own (they have plenty of money for clothes and car and obsess about their house)

4.) Wealthy People who worry about their investments, knowing they have adequate funds for whatever clothes, cars, houses, they want, but do not necessarily buy, because this is not a priority.

I aspire to be in the 4th category, though I may break down one of these days when I have a family and buy a nice house in a good area, but not for me, for my family.

I see those who are truly wealthy and have nothing to prove being less materialistic than those who are living beyond their means to promote some image of financial success that may or may not be there.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
What's the difference between a yuppie and a "spoiled rich kid?" I personally have never known anyone who was a yuppie who didn't start out being a spoiled rich kid.
Not true at all. I grew up in SE Evanston and S. Skokie. Was middle-class. Had to work doing yard work, repairs and cleaning. Dad was Blue Collar. Did I grow up poor? No. Did I grow up spoiled rich kid? No. Why am I affluent and proffesional enough to be categorized Yuppie? Because my parents wanted a better life for me with more opportunities involving less manual labor and a higher standard of living than they had. Unreasonable? No. Many parents want their children to suceed. The key was to link the odds of financial sucess to getting good grades and getting a college degree. Working retail during HS and college cemented this link. I could tell from personal experience I would have a harder time earning money to afford a house, a car and retirement if I went the non-college, retail career route.
Final thing taught by my parents. Do not live above your means. Preferably, try to live below your means. Your earnings could be really high but if your spending is also really high you have nothing left. Yet with a modest income, you can save money if you play good defense with your spending.
In Texas they call this mentality "Small hat, big cattle" I call this mentality being frugal. Frugal=new definition of being "cool".

Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,552 times
Would living below your means make you not a YUPPIE? Has this long thread established a clear distinction between a YUPPIE and a non-YUPPIE, because all I know so far is that it stands for Young Urban Professional. There is a tendency for YUPPIEs to not have kids, and have a lot of money to just spend on themselves, but must you spend your money in a certain way to earn this classification?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago