Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times

Advertisements

I really can't fathom why you would think it is USPS' job to fix your apartment building's mailbox. That's the landlord's job.

The rest of it...standard urban life. "Mailbox blocked" could have meant a lot of things....maybe they didn't have a key to get past the mailboxes to leave a large box. Maybe someone else was in the lobby or having a delivery or move-in. Only idiots have valuable purchases delivered by USPS to their home in the city. Either have it delivered to work or use Amazon Locker or UPS or something.

Oh, and in a city of 3 million people you can't seriously expect repairs to happen lickety-split. You've only lived there a month. If you submit a request, consider yourself lucky if it is addressed within six months. This isn't Small-town, USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 08:06 PM

796 posts, read 930,815 times
I can imagine it being terrible in any apartment situation. but as a homeowner, I have never had an issue with them.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I really can't fathom why you would think it is USPS' job to fix your apartment building's mailbox. That's the landlord's job.

The rest of it...standard urban life. "Mailbox blocked" could have meant a lot of things....maybe they didn't have a key to get past the mailboxes to leave a large box. Maybe someone else was in the lobby or having a delivery or move-in. Only idiots have valuable purchases delivered by USPS to their home in the city. Either have it delivered to work or use Amazon Locker or UPS or something.

Oh, and in a city of 3 million people you can't seriously expect repairs to happen lickety-split. You've only lived there a month. If you submit a request, consider yourself lucky if it is addressed within six months. This isn't Small-town, USA.
Actually, it is USPS' job. It's not the landlord's job because only USPS has the key and cylinder to install. The landlord did their job by providing a safe and secure mailbox. But USPS hasn't installed their lock on it, so you can just tip it forward to access all mailboxes.

I've lived in several states, almost a dozen cities, and two countries. I never had any mail theft or USPS issues except for here in Chicago.

On the bright side, I did figure out who has been taking the mail. It's the lovely crackhead who lives two buildings down from us.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Ugh, I had another horrible experience with USPS today.

I had a package coming in. The tracking says it was delivered at 1:30, so I go to the mailbox at 1:45 and nothing is there, not even any letters in our mailbox.

Well, I found the package and everyone's mail. It was in a pile near the back door to our building.

So either someone moved the mail between 1:30 and 1:45pm, or USPS just tossed it down there.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:40 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Sounds like your mail carrier is the problem. I live on the north side, never had a problem.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Ugh, I had another horrible experience with USPS today.

I had a package coming in. The tracking says it was delivered at 1:30, so I go to the mailbox at 1:45 and nothing is there, not even any letters in our mailbox.

Well, I found the package and everyone's mail. It was in a pile near the back door to our building.

So either someone moved the mail between 1:30 and 1:45pm, or USPS just tossed it down there.
Have you contacted the post office? I would start there and see what they say.

The only thing I can think is that the carrier couldn't access the part of the building that has the cluster box. Even then, none of the mall should have been delivered on that day.

If the post office doesn't help, I would get a P.O. box or ask your landlord if you can have your own separate mailbox.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Sounds like your mail carrier is the problem. I live on the north side, never had a problem.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

I've seen three different mail carriers on my street. One is super nice, but the other two are the ones who cause the problems.

I'm going to try contacting the post office again. I can never seem to get anyone serious on the line when I call.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:57 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
I know that this is for the Chicagoland area but you're not alone.

I reside in the Philadelphia, PA market area of NJ:

The Philadelphia, PA USPS distribution center holds up many packages which should've just moved on through AND my local post office delivery when the regular delivery person takes a day off their replacement don't know how to read addresses as many misdeliveries have happened in my almost 5 years here.

I live within the "land of DUHHHHHHHH!".

Old 05-27-2017, 01:18 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
I've lived in several states. The USPS sucks, PERIOD! I think that it boils down to the quality of the employee. I've had letter carriers who would happily ring my doorbell, and hand deliver my package. Others, I don't care to relive it.

Right now, I am fuming, because my package is not in my po box. The status reads, "delivered and ready for pick up." WTF?! If that was the case, I'd be enjoying my stuff right NOW!

It's not just Chicago.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Actually, it is USPS' job. It's not the landlord's job because only USPS has the key and cylinder to install. The landlord did their job by providing a safe and secure mailbox. But USPS hasn't installed their lock on it, so you can just tip it forward to access all mailboxes.

I've lived in several states, almost a dozen cities, and two countries. I never had any mail theft or USPS issues except for here in Chicago.

On the bright side, I did figure out who has been taking the mail. It's the lovely crackhead who lives two buildings down from us.
How do you know USPS didn't install the lock? Sounds like someone's been messing with the lock and busted it loose, but if the landlord can't provide a secure building or deter vandalism, it doesn't mean that USPS has to keep installing new locks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago