Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 02:45 PM

362 posts, read 497,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Don't think anyone cares, lol.
I cared - because I had no idea what she meant by it and wanted her to explain it.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I think a one bedroom in Grand Prairie for $1100 and a two bedroom in Plano for $1600 (both Dallas suburbs) is ridiculous considering the areas and what they offer. Dallas is even higher.
Those prices are pretty much spot on. I can't believe I've got a 3br in Chicago for just a little bit more than I paid for a 1br in DFW.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:51 PM

8 posts, read 15,111 times
Several people have indicated that the only people leaving Chicago are low income black people. That simply is NOT true. Last year, the Chicago Tribune did a story where it noted that Chicago was one of the main cities to lose millionaires (i.e., France, Paris and Athens beat out Chi). The article also stated that affluent black people (i.e., those making more than $100,000 a year) are also leaving Chicago.

I can't answer the question of why people are leaving Chicago but I think it's important to set the right narrative. Like most big cities, Chicago is losing people. To act like low income black people are the only ones leaving, is not fair.

Millionaires are leaving Chicago, report says - Chicago Tribune

Old 04-21-2017, 10:58 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
How easy (or difficult) is it to get one of those high-paying, low-skill working class jobs in Chicago, however?

I knew people who were unemployed and had a terrible time finding anything. One of my friends had experience in the airline and hospitality industries, and ended up settling for a part-time job at Macy's paying $9 an hour.

I seem to remember hearing that those high-paying union jobs were difficult to get unless you knew someone (family or friends) who could get you in.

If this is incorrect, please explain.
Suppressed wages and increased housing costs along with difficulty finding work is an American thing, not a Chicago-specific thing. These are the conditions that the Great Recession have wrought . The same issues people complain about with Chicago, Atlanta and Dallas has those exact same problems. And I would say it is even worse because the wages are lower than Chicago for both areas, especially for working class jobs. I knew many folks in Atlanta both black and white who had college degrees and did not make $30,000 a year.
I also knew people in Atlanta with even advanced degrees who were faced with homelessness and food insecurity because they could not find jobs. 95% of my family and friends who were transplants left and moved back to Chicago or wherever else they came from to find work.

I never claimed that Chicago has an abundance of these jobs or that they are easier to get for anyone and everyone, and I don't have an answer as to why your friends can only find low-wage work.

I can only share what I have observed as a person who has lived in all three cities and who has done the research.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:32 PM

390 posts, read 389,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Totally ridiculous blanket statements. What's interesting is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, the beautiful tree cover, gorgeous scenery and endless places to travel to (within a few hours drive) are wonderful reasons to raise a family in northern Georgia. Maybe you're paying $2100 now, but once you add in a family and move to Chicago burbs be prepared, if you want 4 bed/bath 3000 sq ft home) to pay $3500+ monthly. I've learned that with small children we spend 90% of our time in burbs and our kids enjoy hikes, mountains and natural beauty far more than a concrete jungle of homes with 15K taxes. We were thisclose to buying a home in naperville 2 years ago for 650k with 16k taxes ... Now we'll enjoy a gorgeous home in alpharetta with trees surrounding it, a creek behind us, serenity and beauty. Couldn't be more peaceful, and our mortgage will be around 2k (vs close to 4k). After multiple trips to Atlanta our kids cry each time we leave and say they can't wait to get back to the trees... Oh and we have multiple amenities within 5 minutes of our new home, so... I'm not sure where you're talking about that has "nothing to do". That's just idiotic.
Thank you ! If they couldn't find "anything to do" in dallas or atlanta, then that seems like a personal problem. Both cities have lots to do not as much as Chicago, but there's lots to do.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj234 View Post
Several people have indicated that the only people leaving Chicago are low income black people. That simply is NOT true. Last year, the Chicago Tribune did a story where it noted that Chicago was one of the main cities to lose millionaires (i.e., France, Paris and Athens beat out Chi). The article also stated that affluent black people (i.e., those making more than $100,000 a year) are also leaving Chicago.

I can't answer the question of why people are leaving Chicago but I think it's important to set the right narrative. Like most big cities, Chicago is losing people. To act like low income black people are the only ones leaving, is not fair.

Millionaires are leaving Chicago, report says - Chicago Tribune
This article has been discussed ten times over. It directly contradicts the ACS data (and RE prices) and was poorly conducted.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
Thank you ! If they couldn't find "anything to do" in dallas or atlanta, then that seems like a personal problem. Both cities have lots to do not as much as Chicago, but there's lots to do.
No one is saying there's nothing to do in Dallas/Atlanta. There's less to do and the COL in Dallas is on par with Chicago. ATL is not far behind at all.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 15,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
This article has been discussed ten times over. It directly contradicts the ACS data (and RE prices) and was poorly conducted.
I googled "millionaires leaving Chicago" and there were several articles on the topic. I guess everyone including Forbes, which tracks this type of data is wrong. Seems unlikely. However, as someone who has talked to people (of all races including African Americans) that are considering leaving (or has left), every single of one them made in excess of $100,000 a year (i.e., they have headed for Seattle, Denver and SF, which confirms some of the information in the articles). I can't speak for anyone else but my own VERY limited anecdotal evidence counters the "ONLY poor low income black people leave Chicago."

Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I googled "millionaires leaving Chicago" and there were several articles on the topic. I guess everyone including Forbes, which tracks this type of data is wrong. Seems unlikely. However, as someone who has talked to people (of all races including African Americans) that are considering leaving (or has left), every single of one them made in excess of $100,000 a year (i.e., they have headed for Seattle, Denver and SF, which confirms some of the information in the articles). I can't speak for anyone else but my own VERY limited anecdotal evidence counters the "ONLY poor low income black people leave Chicago."
You can't quote census estimates and then disregard ACS data. ACS data shows growth at upper income brackets and contractions at lower ones. The census data also reflects this change. The building boom in Chicago's core is evidence of that.

BTW, did you settle on a doorman vs. no doorman?

Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 PM

335 posts, read 334,357 times
Quote:
Exactly, all of the people I know who are relocating also make 100k+ and are simply tired of Illinois. People with high paying jobs who don't want to pay for the mistakes of others. And our COL will be much lower, but they'll argue it won't. I actually have documented proof of how much less it'll be. Sure if someone making $12 an hour here relocates and then makes $9 an hour it'll be a wash, but that isn't the case for many people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago