Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,206,973 times

Advertisements

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/3/...a-station-sale

I love seeing the Thompson Center downtown. Colorful, dramatic and STUNNING. Compared to the crap brown of the Daley Center's plain Box (heck, they'd give that box landmark status lol).
----> I'd rather the Daley Center building demolished.

The Thompson Center played a roll in the 80s revival of the Loop. It dramatically showed a PLAIN BOX BUILDING not be what Chicago is to stay with for sure.

This is a State building that I'd love to see preserved. The State put off maintenance for far too many years since built brand new. It was a bad call to neglect maintenance in the building, that was far from cheap to build.

I did not read the neglect compromised the structure? But I care less if the state wants to dump it. BUT PROMOTE A SALE TO A DEVELOPER THAT WILL PRESERVE IT in any RE-PURPOSE.
*** Let the state dump it cheap to be PRESERVED WITH THE L TERMINAL IN IT as the Mayor NOTES IS A MAJOR ISSUE TO THE CITY.

I see no need to sell to be demolished as if no space is left in the Loop to build a new Skyscraper. If you asked any tourist FOR A WEEK WALKING BY AND SEEING about the Thompson Center.

Told them it was sold to be demolished? WHAT COMMENTS WOULD YOU GET? More UNBELIEF and think they were on some UN-REALITY SHOW that has to be a lie?

*** Do you believe if the State pushes a sale. Cares less on the buildings fate after a sale? That the city SHOULD PREVENT DEMOLITION? Even if because of the L terminal and transfer area inside it? Slap LANDMARK status onto it?

* Also ideas you might have for its re-purpose? Some proposed (including the original Architect to build new from the plaza up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 01:49 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,201,670 times
It makes little sense to re-purpose it. Too expensive vs building something with more utility that's up to date. I would agree however that your idea would make more sense *if* the state wasn't practically bankrupt and could already pay other more pressing bills for services, etc.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,981,806 times
The fact is pretty much all the folks who work in the Thompson Center hate it -- it has always had MAJOR issues with poor ventilation, difficulties with sound control, even basic issues of getting between floors and offices on the same floor can be a nightmare...

The sorts of "retrofits" that are relatively easy to make in even ANCIENT high rises in other parts of the Loop are all but impossible due to the very unusual construction methods chosen to have the unique layout. When any of the "technology infrastructure" needs repairs / replacement the State gets bids that are ASTRONOMICAL compared to other facilities that they run and therefore it is HUGE drain on the total budget for such things -- really a nightmare when pretty much everyone recognizes that not having up-to-date systems makes the state even MORE inefficient...

The design is distinctive, but it is also hideously non-functional. The 17 floor atrium makes literally no sense for the role of state employees. Unlike the big rectangular floor plates of other high rises each floor has relatively cramped offices. The windows are curved and angled and the state balked at the custom insulated units that Jahn specified and instead went single pane glass that truly is better suited to a "solar collector". That puts enormous demands on the buildings HVAC plant and results in LOTS of uncomfortable employees.

Blago wanted to sell the moneypit too, of course he could not find any buyers and instead he refinanced the things with a grotesque $200M mortgage that has resulted in huge lawsuits...

While with enough money ANYTHING can be built ANYWHERE, the fact is Jahn's sketched to put some kind of new structure on top of the Thompson Center would be such a crazy costly and disruptive project there is no way that any developer could lease out space profitably ESPECIALLY because the "center of gravity" for newer firms is rapidly moving toward the WEST Loop ...

The issues Rahm raises about the massive connections to the Subway are a legitimate issue -- these sorts of things are not dissimilar to why there was so a struggle to rebuild the facilities in NYC that were destroyed by terrorist attacks on 9/11 and the HUGE transit center there cost nearly $4 BILLION to build --https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/nyregion/as-oculus-at-world-trade-center-opens-so-does-a-neighborhood.html

No easy solution...

Old 05-04-2017, 06:32 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,108,122 times
Gee, that is really stupid to only have single pane windows. There is so much more energy efficincy in double and triple pane windows.

But I like the Thompson Center as it is. But I realize the center is a big waste of open empty space, - at least it's a good view somewhat.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,201,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Gee, that is really stupid to only have single pane windows. There is so much more energy efficincy in double and triple pane windows.
Yes, and stop signs are red too.

It's an OLDer building. Of course it won't be up to date.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,108,122 times
I was in a hospital once and I noticed the triple pane windows... It was like 20F outside with snow, and when I touched the windows it felt room temperature, and the windows had no condensation.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,981,806 times
Default Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I was in a hospital once and I noticed the triple pane windows... It was like 20F outside with snow, and when I touched the windows it felt room temperature, and the windows had no condensation.
Multi-pane glazing is a HUGE improvement and has been "standard" for decades. What happened with the Helmut Jahn design is that the curve and radius of the windows meant EACH UNIT would need HAND BUILT sealed units. There are basically only a few suppliers in the world that do this sort of thing even today and the decision from the GC and the State was that the delays and reliance on custom units would drive cost and schedule to something that was not politically feasible.

The end result is that even with light control films there are parts of the building that have far too much solar gain AND on days when the sun is not shinning those same areas loss heat through the glass to the point where space heaters and gloves are commonly used...

I know several people that have worked there in a professional capacity as well having friends that have been involved in the trades associated with the maintenance of the building. Pretty much all of them say that the problems are much worse because of political alignments -- back when Thompson and the rest of his staff was evaluating designs they really wanted something VERY dramatic. The push back from the folks that represented the Construction interests and trade unions were THRILLED to build a huge, hard to maintain structure as it meant LIFETIMES of add-on work. Those things make this VERY UNATTRACTIVE to any private developer that even when a building is "flashy" on the skyline still needs to be relatively low maintenance to be profitable...

The lastest "controversy" to be brewed up is also over the POLITICAL push back that there is between Rahm and the Governor -- Thompson Center's fate is latest feud between Emanuel, Rauner - News - The State Journal-Register - Springfield, IL Rauner and the Durkin want to get this monster SOLD ASAP and are pitching such a plan as way to generate tens of millions on property taxes for CPS. Even I know that is pipedream and this is one of those rare instances where I agree with Rahm -- the likelihood of any PRIVATE developer accepting the current status of the CTA connections and food court in the building would not be easy to work out... Thompson Center's fate is latest feud between Emanuel, Rauner - News - The State Journal-Register - Springfield, IL

Old 05-05-2017, 02:28 PM

575 posts, read 610,943 times
it's "stunning" alright

Old 05-06-2017, 07:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,342,335 times
The Thompson center is a perfect metaphor for Illinois. A bloated inefficient monstrosity that no longer serves the people and has to come down.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,206,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The Thompson center is a perfect metaphor for Illinois. A bloated inefficient monstrosity that no longer serves the people and has to come down.
I hope not .... I love the non-boxy look and atrium and even the red brick color and blue used on the exterior and interior atrium floor area with its design-work. I'd rather see the Daley Center down. I'm serious.

But reopened the thread for this ...

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/26...marks-illinois

I at first didn't like the idea, but I'm for it now. I see it as a alternative to destruction..... I can't see preservationist not fighting tooth and nail..... any total destruction.

Last edited by DavePa; 04-28-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago