Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 982 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be living in Chicago for ten months for a short term work assignment (moving from Canada next month)

We have a dog. I will be working at Monroe and Canal, map link [url]http://tinyurl.com/ltm3ok8[/url]

Wife will be working from home.

Final 2 buildings:

1) Echelon @ K Station, 353 N Desplaines. Map link: [url]http://tinyurl.com/lw2kyh2[/url]

Pros: Super close to work, adjacent to a small park with dog run, has a pool and gym, very close to bars and restaurants. Great views of downtown.

Cons: none really, i guess some train noise. Kind of big building with lots of residents

2) The Hudson Chicago, 750 N Hudson, map link: [url]http://tinyurl.com/msauaed[/url]

Pros: Amazing brand new building, never been lived in, pool and gym and other amenities are on another level compared to Echelon. Apartment finishes like kitchen, bathrooms are condo-level and way nicer. Small dog run/park on site. Inside apartment unit, Hudson compared to Echelon is like Ritz Carlton vs Sheraton

Cons: Farther from work (although still easy commute) Not close to park, kind of in a dead zone of about 2-2.5 blocks radius, neighborhood seems a little iffy to the north, not as many bars/restaurants immediately closeby and the ones that are 3-4 blocks away seem pretty pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 11:23 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If you have the means to afford The Hudson you probably can also afford Uber to get around and the "fancier" neighborhoods of Lincoln Park which can be quite a bit easier to get from that part of the city compared to the area around K Station...

OTOH if you want to try new dining / night spots and walk home K Station is hard to beat...

Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
That's because it's Cabrini Green. Well, what's left of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtochoosechicagoapt View Post
Hello,

We will be living in Chicago for ten months for a short term work assignment (moving from Canada next month)

We have a dog. I will be working at Monroe and Canal, map link http://tinyurl.com/ltm3ok8

Wife will be working from home.

Final 2 buildings:

1) Echelon @ K Station, 353 N Desplaines. Map link: http://tinyurl.com/lw2kyh2

Pros: Super close to work, adjacent to a small park with dog run, has a pool and gym, very close to bars and restaurants. Great views of downtown.

Cons: none really, i guess some train noise. Kind of big building with lots of residents

2) The Hudson Chicago, 750 N Hudson, map link: http://tinyurl.com/msauaed

Pros: Amazing brand new building, never been lived in, pool and gym and other amenities are on another level compared to Echelon. Apartment finishes like kitchen, bathrooms are condo-level and way nicer. Small dog run/park on site. Inside apartment unit, Hudson compared to Echelon is like Ritz Carlton vs Sheraton

Cons: Farther from work (although still easy commute) Not close to park, kind of in a dead zone of about 2-2.5 blocks radius, neighborhood seems a little iffy to the north, not as many bars/restaurants immediately closeby and the ones that are 3-4 blocks away seem pretty pricey.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
My buddy lived in Alta @ K Station. Great building! I sincerely enjoyed my times spent getting drunk in their pool. lol

Old 05-26-2017, 09:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
Well, I guess I would choose Echelon over Hudson, if I had to.

As others have said, Hudson is built in an area that used to be a vast tract of public housing high rises. Those buildings are gone but the neighborhood still has a way to go. If you need milk or dog food late at night, you don't have a lot of close-by options. Keep in mind a lot of the buildings south of there are commercial buildings-- and the shops cater to daytime worker crowds, not necessarily for the apartment buildings springing up. The nearest supermarket is in fact right across the street from Echelon.

I suppose the real drawback of the Echelon is the traffic noise (train and vehicular). I suppose the Blommer factory across the street could be a drawback too. Even for a chocolate lover, it might be grating to smell it every single day. The northwest Metra trains will just be getting going as they cross Milwaukee.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:47 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times
I was checking out the Hudson too because it is walking distance to where my potential new job is. And it is close to a park, not a specific dog park though. Google Montgomery Ward park. It has a playground and walking path along the river where you can walk your dog. They also have outdoor events and crap for the residents too.

As for choosing between which one, depends on what is important to you. As I get older, work commute and easy access to the lakefront or some kind of water source are tops.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times
Oops I was mistaken. There is a dog park there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago