U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 8,280,779 times

Advertisements

Shamelessly stealing this link from SSC (h/t HowardL). Good news for us city (and near-city) folk.

Retailers sold on the Loop
IN DEMAND | As an economic slump grips suburban malls, merchants covet space in downtown Chicago

March 9, 2008
BY DAVID ROEDER AND SANDRA GUY droeder@suntimes.com sguy@suntimes.com

It has stacks and stacks of residents with disposable income. Its intersections get pedestrians by the thousands every day. To merchants, it sounds a little like heaven.

It's none other than downtown Chicago, which leasing agents say has become one of the most coveted markets in the country for retailers. It's coveted because it is seen as safe.

Retailers sold on the Loop :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Business (http://www.suntimes.com/business/832852,CST-NWS-retail09.article - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 PM

36,626 posts, read 57,952,168 times
What is "SSC" ?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM

10,697 posts, read 18,291,569 times
I rarely if ever shop for anything in the suburbs. Downtown Chicago has better shopping than you'll find in the toniest suburban mall, and State Street is really re-emerging as a good mid-level shopping area in contrast to the Nieman Marcus's, Bloomingdales, and Nordstroms of Michigan Avenue. We have everything we need in the city now, and it's great to live here!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 PM

36,626 posts, read 57,952,168 times
You better believe I head to the suburbs for large-ticket items. And now with yet another county sales tax hike, I'll not only be headed out of the city, but out of Cook County for my next major purpose, most likely an HDTV.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,258,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What is "SSC" ?
i believe thats probably Skyscraper City, another forum

Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,278,012 times
Quote:
You better believe I head to the suburbs for large-ticket items. And now with yet another county sales tax hike, I'll not only be headed out of the city, but out of Cook County for my next major purpose, most likely an HDTV.
I do as much as I can for almost everything!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I'd head to Wisconsin for that! 5.25% sales tax, oh yeah. Though I don't think that "Crazy TV Lenny's" (American TV and Appliance) will barter on price so much anymore.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I do as much as I can for almost everything!
It's not worth the mind-numbing traffic on the way out of Cook County to save $2 on a $200 purchase. However, if you buy something in the thousands of dollars, then the return on the gas/mileage/wasted free time equation turns more in your favor.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's not worth the mind-numbing traffic on the way out of Cook County to save $2 on a $200 purchase. However, if you buy something in the thousands of dollars, then the return on the gas/mileage/wasted free time equation turns more in your favor.
I drive around while working. I buy crap in the burbs and Indiana/Wisconsin when I am out there for work. I do not pay the gas.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You forget that if one is going to lets say Hammond or around there and spends $40 on a carton of smokes that costs someone like $80 in the city and someone smokes a carton a week he/she just saved $160 per month in a trip that takes less than 2 hours roundtrip from the northside. Since gas is way cheaper in Indiana too and if you make it there with a gallon or two in the tank and fill up, you made up the money (and more) spent on gas for your trip also.

One can also buy a couple cartons for his/her buddies/associates and charge them a couple bucks for your time and he/she has saved/made some good money.

A penny saved is a penny earned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago