Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 17,540 times

Advertisements

I currently live at Western and Armitage on Mclean and have looked at a few places in East Humboldt Park.

Does anybody who lives there or who is familiar with the area give me some feedback on the neigborhood and the development.

I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Phl Gd

Phl Gd,

This is all you.

OP stay clear of blue lights and blocks containing them and generally you will be fine. The area east of the park has much potential. It is definitely not gentrified to the point of its neighbor to the east of Wicker Park, but much progress has been made in the past 5 years. Humboldt Park, the park, itself is a true gem and worthy of experiencing.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:55 AM

51 posts, read 262,981 times
(Thanks for the assist Humboldt1! )
Everything posted by Humboldt1 above and....

There are few threads that indirectly reference this neighborhood (e.g. Buying a house in Humboldt Park). By East Humboldt, I assume you mean bordered by North Avenue to the North, Division(or Augusta) to the South, Western to the East, and California to the West.

We bought here as neighborhood newbies several years back and have since sold and purchased a bigger place in the same neighborhood, after we saw the development, change, and potential with our own eyes.

Because of past stigma with this neighborhood, there has always been apprehension and to some level, intimidation when considering this pocket. I know, because we felt the same when considering this. But after a few months of living here, we immedietely saw that all was not what it seemed looking from the outside. Yes, there are the bad influences (pocketized street dealing, and litter on some blocks, graffitti in some alleys) but recent police efforts have forced a lot of bad elements West of the park itself. There is also a higher than normal concentration of Section 8 housing (Bickerdike and HHDC) in this pocket but the management of these properties are under pressure to curb loitering around these properties. We keep the pressure on because a lot of times, it is not the residents of these units that are the bad elements, it is their friends/family from outside who camp out here. Aside from the Police Blue light Camera outside the Clemente High School (Mandated), there are two of these cameras in the block you asked about, one outside the school and one on Washtenaw and Potomac. In general, I would advise to live EAST of Washtenaw if you can, unless you are looking at some of the newer properties on Potomac and California.You still have access to Chicago's most beautiful park and within walking distance to resturants/boutiques and Bars on Division/Damen.

To corraborate the difference between perception and reality, comparitively speaking, go to Chicago Police CLEARMap database (http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap_crime_sums/startPage.htm) and run a crime report. You can do Indexed Crimes or ALL crimes, for Beat 1423 (See this beat by zooming into address like 1340 N Rockwell, a school which is close to center of neighborhod), which represents where you are looking. Run reports for the last 3 months, the last 6 months, and the last 12 months. You will see that compared to other parts of West Town (Yes, including Bucktown and Wicker Park proper (East of Western)), this beat has one of the lowest crime rates. I like CLEARMap because the color coding and numericals allows for good comparisons. Compare this Beat to others in the City, not just West Town! You will see how the crime numbers stack up. It is revealing, yet confirmation for those of us that live here, of the change we see happening.
Like I have said before, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are renting or are looking to buy for about 3 years or less, then look further East, if you are interested in relatively good upside (especially when compared to East of Western), and are prepared to invest for 3 --> 5 years...then consider this pocket. Anyone who lives here can attest to the change we have seen in the past 5 years....It has been dramatic. (We have a couple of homes in this area listed for up to $2 million (on Campbell) - will probably sell for $1.5mil)...email me if you want more.
As always, in any city neighborhood, beware of a infalted sense of security, be careful, be aware, and be smart...and you will be fine.

Last edited by Phl_Gd; 03-10-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
One thing I'd like to mention about moving to a neighborhood like this... Be prepared to get involved in the community and take an active role in fighting crime by joining CAPS. It's one thing to move into a neighborhood and just sit there waiting for it to improve, and another thing altoghether to actually work hard to improve the neighborhood. Too many people move to a neighborhood like Humboldt Park and just isolate themselves in their new condos and fenced-in parking lots.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 AM

BINGO!!!
Lookout Kid, you are so correct!! This is what endeared us to living here.

JMcDowell21, if you are considering this area, come to the next CAPS meeting March 19th @ 7pm at Casa Central, 1323 California (I believe that's the address. Sure about the block though). Here you can talk to the 1423 Beat officers and residents and owners alike (both those born and raised here and us 'yuppies'- god I hate that word) You will see the cohesiveness and chat with folks who were at one point in the same position as you are now.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 17,540 times
Thank you all for the feedback, I appreicate it.

Phl-gd... I'll be attending that March 19th meeting on California.

If you will be there I look forward to talking to you further.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 PM

JMcDowell21, unfortunately this will be the first meeting in a year that we will be missing (We will be abroad on vacation). However, ask for Officer Brock Merck (Beat Officer) or Officer Roger Willams...tell them Phil wanted them to let you know how things have been going and you were considering the neighborhood. They will have the 'crime' perspective....Let me know if you want to chat later about the real estate side...we will be back on the 23rd....

Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,064 times
Default east humboldt park

I'm looking at a couple of condos around Artesian and North Ave., just one block west of Western Ave. Does anyone know if this is a nice/safe area?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:48 PM

9 posts, read 29,065 times
That area is full of crime such as robbery and theft

Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Artesian and North

Actually, that area isn't too bad, similiar to what you would find in many parts of logan square. That area is technically considered West Town, not Humboldt Park south of Bloomingdale.

It is not Lincoln Park or quite as nice as its neighbors to the east of Wicker Park and Bucktown, but as a whole the area is okay.

Around Clemente are some flashing blue lights and there are a couple along division and just north of division. Steer clear of areas near the lights and you should be okay. Also, steer clear of Bickerdike developments or any buildings in general that have no loitering signs.

I don't see theft or robbery as any bigger issues than you would experience in Logan Square. Just remember it is the city and be watchful and as a whole you should be okay. There are certainly worse areas, such as where I live near Pulaski and North and even I am able to walk outside at all areas, so long as I don't venture south of grand or division and keep my eyes and ears open. Just don't take anything for granted and you will be more than fine in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago