Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:05 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Chicago has too much crime plus the fact that it's just too expensive! AA's are moving to lower COL states such as AL, GA, LA, Miss, MO, NC, SC, TN etc. Any that are staying in Chicago are because it is probably easier for them to stay on government assistance than in another state.

I moved from Illinois to NW Indiana last year for lower COL. Many think that mass amounts of AA's from IL South suburb's are moving here, but that's not correct. Most people moving here from Illinois are actually middle class whites (myself included) that are sick of Illinois government. Very few are actually AA. At least where I'm located!
I cringe every time someone here complains about cost of living. You have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 10:36 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
That's the sort of generalization a midwestern redneck would make.

WOW, I'm originally from Chicago, lived there my entire life up until last year, and I wouldn't say that living in NW Indiana qualifies me as a redneck

And if you want to resort to name calling I suppose I could make a few generalizations about a "Chicago South Sider", Hmmm? You should watch your "name calling" as it is against thread rules!

Last edited by CGab; 06-16-2017 at 10:48 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 10:37 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
I cringe every time someone here complains about cost of living. You have no idea.
I DO, that's why we moved out of there! Did you read my post??

Old 06-16-2017, 10:52 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
WOW, I'm originally from Chicago, lived there my entire life up until last year, and I wouldn't say that living in NW Indiana qualifies me as a redneck

And if you want to resort to name calling I suppose I could make a few generalizations about a "Chicago South Sider", Hmmm? You should watch your "name calling" as it is against thread rules!
There are plenty of rednecks in Chicago. You already made your generalization about black people in Chicago. I could care less if you make one about me. It doesn't change anything.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM

123 posts, read 119,721 times
Yes but there is crime because no jobs. If there was more jewels, all the stores we have in suburbs and north side that would give people on the south side more opportunity. When you have a job even if its something like amazon warehouse you have a sense of belonging, Instead individuals are finding that sense of belonging in gangs. Only people on the south side and investors can fix it. I use to work in social services but i do not believe a white person can go down there and change things so I just stay out of it other than discussing it.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:54 PM

there are rednecks by me in north center and they are amusing they liven up the neighborhood always having bbq's while all the yuppies are hiding behind their blinds very non social I noticed a lot of people in Chicago maybe north side are very non social except for ther own circle of friends they do not seem to like to talk to neighbors they do not know.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Ok there is so much history to why blacks are leaving the city pretty much kicked a lot out. When I lived in Bolingbrook and went to school in Dekalb there was rumors when they were tearing down the projects that they were busing black peole to bolingbrook and dekalb among other areas.

Another problem is chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. infrastructure helps to create that I-55 creates barriers just like many other railroad track barriers that kept black people in certain areas.

Lastly to today there is no jobs on the south side there is food deserts and its a hot mess and the only people that can fix it is the residents of the south side and investors with money It is a tragedy.

Lastly I believe people are choosing to self segregate and the fact that the south side is a mess is making blacks go to something better. In the south the weather is better and there is more of their culture.

Unfortunately I think we as a country are self segregating it has been argued that diversity does not work.

I hope I did not offend any one of another race i am talking just like we talked in my sociology classes.

Last edited by 3goodmonths; 06-16-2017 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-16-2017, 09:15 PM

255 posts, read 414,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodmonths View Post
Ok there is so much history to why blacks are leaving the city pretty much kicked a lot out. When I lived in Bolingbrook and went to school in Dekalb there was rumors when they were tearing down the projects that they were busing black peole to bolingbrook and dekalb among other areas.

Another problem is chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. infrastructure helps to create that I-55 creates barriers just like many other railroad track barriers that kept black people in certain areas.

Lastly to today there is no jobs on the south side there is food deserts and its a hot mess and the only people that can fix it is the residents of the south side and investors with money It is a tragedy.

Lastly I believe people are choosing to self segregate and the fact that the south side is a mess is making blacks go to something better. In the south the weather is better and there is more of their culture.

Unfortunately I think we as a country are self segregating it has been argued that diversity does not work.

I hope I did not offend any one of another race i am talking just like we talked in my sociology classes.
People tend to self segregate. It's human nature. We tend to settle in tribes usually based on cultural, religious, class, and you guessed it, racial/ethnic lines. Just cause there aren't a ton of jobs on the south and west sides, is no excuse for a high violent crime rate and a high out of wedlock birth rate.

Only the people in the neighborhoods like Austin, Garfield Park, Roseland, Englewood, & Grand Crossing can make the greatest changes. If they want things to turn around, they will promote positive things and hopefully the culture changes.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:19 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
People tend to self segregate. It's human nature. We tend to settle in tribes usually based on cultural, religious, class, and you guessed it, racial/ethnic lines. Just cause there aren't a ton of jobs on the south and west sides, is no excuse for a high violent crime rate and a high out of wedlock birth rate.

Only the people in the neighborhoods like Austin, Garfield Park, Roseland, Englewood, & Grand Crossing can make the greatest changes. If they want things to turn around, they will promote positive things and hopefully the culture changes.
Dude,

You have been spewing the same low key racial b.s. in your last three posts. We get your point.

Blacks on south side...crime...no excuse....pick yourself up and do better. yada yada yada.

Same rhetoric. Getting old.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Quote:
I DO, that's why we moved out of there! Did you read my post??
I meant compared to more expensive areas (which I didn't think I'd need to spell out explicitly). If you've lived your entire life here as you claim then no, you don't have a clue.

And yes, there are plenty of rednecks in this area. They've just traded one ridiculous accent for another. Many also ironically consider themselves to be quite liberal, especially in the LGBT areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago