Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM

11 posts, read 48,603 times

Advertisements

LOL, sounds good Ron. You sound like a cool cat.

Appreciate all of the advice...

TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:24 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
'Bout the same thing that I learned to do growing up as a left-leaner in South Carolina. Chicago isn't unique in that regard, but if you're super thin-skinned when it comes to politics, it'll be somewhere between annoying and unbearable.

It also depends on the neighborhood. Andersonville and Boystown, with their large gay populations, aren't going to be the best places to have a block party in honor of Reagan's Birthday. Lincoln Square, where I live, is popular among the Subaru-and-Granola set, so people are generally fairly liberal.
I have to disagree about Lincoln Square. I think it's becoming much more upper middle class white collar with fewer of the old school immigrants holding out. That by definition would make the arena lean towards the right.
However, head east on Lawrence into Uptown and you'll find a bastion of liberalism and government enabling. Please, tear that area down and start over!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:53 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
About the only thing I get tired of here as a conservative (other than one-party rule, and lousy rule at that) is the assumption many people make that everyone around them is liberal. Thus some feel at liberty to spout stupid cartoonish one-dimensional views of conservatism and/or conservatives without any concern for whether someone might take offense. I've learned to just bite my tongue, roll my eyes and let it slide.
Me too......especially being under the age of 40. I'm supposed to be pretty much okay with everything oh, except for George Bush. I have (or had) friends would go to rallies without even having a clue what it was really about (while looking very fashionable though)....but I guess that is also not unique to Chicago.

Anyway to the op.....I'd like to add the dating scene way favors the guys in this city. I saw your post on the Denver board...its one of my top picks as a single lady, who thinks a more conservative (whatever that really means) city sounds like a breath of fresh air.

I am into the outdoors as well, while I find many outlets for that in Illinois and Wisconsin, I find there are less like-minded people who participate in Chicago...and way more people who NEVER EVER leave the city and hate the suburbs or outlying areas.

In Denver, people make it their business to get out of the city on the weekend.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:19 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I have to disagree about Lincoln Square. I think it's becoming much more upper middle class white collar with fewer of the old school immigrants holding out. That by definition would make the arena lean towards the right.
However, head east on Lawrence into Uptown and you'll find a bastion of liberalism and government enabling. Please, tear that area down and start over!
Just calling it as I see it, fella. As a Lincoln Square resident, I can safely say that the sort of white collar folks I tend to see around are the type who are into organic, fair trade coffee and world music. The "study abroad" set. Basically the types of folks you'll see represented well on the "Stuff White People Like" blog Moderator cut: deleted link

I see plenty of Obama stickers and window posters that just say "imagine". I've never seen a single political sign supporting a Republican candidate other than some Ron Paul graffiti.

Middle aged ladies in Patagonia fleeces and Birkenstocks are the ones handing out anti-war leaflets around here. Not dreadlocked 20-somethings.

I'll say this: Cafe Selmarie had some donkey and elephant cookies with red-white-and-blue sprinkles in the case the day of the TX and OH primaries. I was joking about them, and the girl at the counter said she'd had to restock the donkey cookies, but had only sold one elephant. (And the guy who bought the elephant's wife bought a donkey )

I know all of this is anecdotal, and maybe deep down I'm surrounded by conservatives, but I sure don't see it.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-11-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: sorry, can't link to blogs, thanks :)

Old 03-11-2008, 05:29 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Just calling it as I see it, fella. As a Lincoln Square resident, I can safely say that the sort of white collar folks I tend to see around are the type who are into organic, fair trade coffee and world music. The "study abroad" set. Basically the types of folks you'll see represented well on the "Stuff White People Like" blog Moderator cut: deleted link .

I see plenty of Obama stickers and window posters that just say "imagine". I've never seen a single political sign supporting a Republican candidate other than some Ron Paul graffiti.

Middle aged ladies in Patagonia fleeces and Birkenstocks are the ones handing out anti-war leaflets around here. Not dreadlocked 20-somethings.

I'll say this: Cafe Selmarie had some donkey and elephant cookies with red-white-and-blue sprinkles in the case the day of the TX and OH primaries. I was joking about them, and the girl at the counter said she'd had to restock the donkey cookies, but had only sold one elephant. (And the guy who bought the elephant's wife bought a donkey )

I know all of this is anecdotal, and maybe deep down I'm surrounded by conservatives, but I sure don't see it.
my fashionable, super liberal (though they don't really know what it means) and 'artsy' friends live in Lincoln Square. I'm pretty sure they are not the only ones on the block, with 5 or more of them in one house. Someone here tried to tell me Lincoln Square is all about being run over by baby strollers....I lived there for a few months (had to get away from my artsy friends and all their friends, and all their friends) and its certainly not what I experienced....the baby strollers. What I experienced was more like .....college, but with all the friends who dropped out of college to pursue, art, writing, or drinking and drugs.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-11-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: deleted link from quoted post, thanks :)

Old 03-11-2008, 06:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
All right, is it safe to say that someone who repeatedly advocates bulldozing an entire neighborhood is a troll that can be sent packing?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
All right, is it safe to say that someone who repeatedly advocates bulldozing an entire neighborhood is a troll that can be sent packing?

As for those saying Lincoln Square isn't conservative and right leaning....Have you walked down Lincoln Ave between Montrose and Wilson lately? Sure, you'll have your artsy libs but there are many more upper middle class white folks walking their child in a $500 stroller. If you think they're voting Dem, you're nuts.

As for bulldozing Uptown. Nuking it is always an option, it doesn't matter how it's demoed. I have to close my eyes and nose when I drive through that area to the lake.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
As for those saying Lincoln Square isn't conservative and right leaning....Have you walked down Lincoln Ave between Montrose and Wilson lately? Sure, you'll have your artsy libs but there are many more upper middle class white folks walking their child in a $500 stroller. If you think they're voting Dem, you're nuts.

As for bulldozing Uptown. Nuking it is always an option, it doesn't matter how it's demoed. I have to close my eyes and nose when I drive through that area to the lake.
You see that in Oak Park quite a bit too. Must be conservative and right leaning in that town as well.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry, buddy, but I live right in the heart of Lincoln Square. Those people ARE voting Democrat. 2004 Presidential election: The 47th Ward went 78.10% for Kerry, 21.12% Bush. On

Fluke? In 2000, Bush got 21.54% of the vote and Gore got 71.74%. Nader got 6.07%. Hard right Buchanan got 0.16% of the vote. Browne (the Libertarian candidate) received just 0.42%. On

Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
You see that in Oak Park quite a bit too. Must be conservative and right leaning in that town as well.
I don't have kids yet, but when I do, I'll have to be careful what kind of stroller I buy. Spend too much and you change your party affiliation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago