Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:19 AM

123 posts, read 119,782 times

Advertisements

Yes I feel like all the construction going on now is leftover from what was suppose to be built ten years ago. We are filling up all the parking lots we have in the city. When we start building super tall slim skinny buildings like new york because we ran out of space that will be major. Will that happen? new york has like 20 supertall buildings Chicago has three waiting on Vista.

I am not complaining I just want chicago to be bigger and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 11:54 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodmonths View Post
Yes I feel like all the construction going on now is leftover from what was suppose to be built ten years ago. We are filling up all the parking lots we have in the city. When we start building super tall slim skinny buildings like new york because we ran out of space that will be major. Will that happen? new york has like 20 supertall buildings Chicago has three waiting on Vista.

I am not complaining I just want chicago to be bigger and better.
Would you want the manhattan super talks/supper/skinniest monstrosities in Chicago? Would anybody? Would you like a city in which the population grow without fail every year, an ascending line on a line graph with no dips?

If NYC is at some 8 million today and is to go up to 9 million or even close to 10will NYC be better off because of it?

Old 06-23-2017, 01:14 PM

123 posts, read 119,782 times
I think I would want Chicago how it is except for winter, and being one of the most segregated city in the world. If some more whites would move to the south side and open businesses that would be nice. Then the last thing I ask for is if where they were gonna build the spire they build the tallest building in the world. Oh and lastly if they could make the beaches bigger and nicer push all the beaches and parks one quarter mile further into lake Michigan and make a beach walk like the one in Tampa.

Last edited by 3goodmonths; 06-23-2017 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling issues

Old 06-23-2017, 06:32 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Has anyone done an analysis on how much of this recent construction has been after teardowns and how much of it has been on things like brownfield sites and large surface parking lots?

Chicago's really had been on a massive high rise construction boom, and it's impressive to see. I'd love to see it translated to improved infrastructure.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:04 PM

97 posts, read 138,213 times
Lmao, this post is a joke. Mark my words, Chicago is going to be tanked the #1 best city in America. Keep your mouth shut and enjoy the ride. I see great signs for Chicago. Chicago is going to be tanked the #1 tech hub in the country which will bring in lots of jobs and money to the city. This will also spark development everywhere.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:16 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Default Chicago witnessing more residential tower construction than any other US city

Any way you slice it, the amount of high-end buildings going up right now in Chicago is truly impressive!

The city of Big Shoulders seems to have discovered steroids!

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/chic...nstruction-map

It's a bit mind boggling when you consider the number of multi million dollar condos going up. Must be an influx of residents with deep pockets from around the globe?

Last edited by flamadiddle; 06-24-2017 at 06:45 AM..

Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime224 View Post
Lmao, this post is a joke. Mark my words, Chicago is going to be tanked the #1 best city in America. Keep your mouth shut and enjoy the ride. I see great signs for Chicago. Chicago is going to be tanked the #1 tech hub in the country which will bring in lots of jobs and money to the city. This will also spark development everywhere.
"Chicago is going to be tanked the #1 tech hub in the country which will bring in lots of jobs and money to the city."

to which I add...

chicago is going to be tanked the #1 H2O city in the country.

Water is the most important resource in the world and the amount of available, usable water is dropping and is greatly affected by climate change.

IMHO, no major American city is in the position Chicago by its location on the Great Lakes (and, I realize, that Chicago does not call all the shots on how much water is available to it) which no other major city in the US can claim (my apologies to Milw, Cle, and Buffalo).

Neither Tony nor I can predict the future, but we're both drawing our own conclusions about good things ahead for Chicago.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Any way you slice it, the amount of high-end buildings going up right now in Chicago is truly impressive!

The city of Big Shoulders seems to have discovered steroids!

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/chic...nstruction-map

It's a bit mind boggling when you consider the number of multi million dollar condos going up. Must be an influx of residents with deep pockets from around the globe?
as in the post I made above, I will throw in something here that is strictly my opinion....

Those points you raised (and which I agree with) say that all our mind-boggling construction is better than NYC's mind-boggling construction.

Why? IMHO, NYC is getting over built, I think NYC, particularly Manhattan, is destroying itself. Too dense, too tall, too over-developed and, perhaps, too overpopulated. No one may agree with me and that's fine, but I do honestly believe that NYC is killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Of course, this is the US and it is City-Data, so I fully realize there is no such thing as too tall, too dense, too populated, that growth is always an unqualified good and stasis or.....heaven forbid!!!.....contraction is always an unqualified bad.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Yes, I am aware ROTFL. You can step down off that high horse already, amigo.

Don't act like everyone who peruses these forums has already seen everything posted on the interwebs for every single Chicago project(!)

settle down damba, just trying help, not pick on you.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times
Good grief, who cares.

Some one could draw a big circle around three Midwestern states and call it a city and all of a sudden it would be THE BIGGEST CITY IN AMERICA!!!!

Anyone who spends time across Chicago knows Chicago is doing just fine.

If you want to live in NY, move to NY.

Frankly, impoverished people leaving the city is probably on average a VERY positive development for them and a positive development for the city as well.

Some people see the negative in everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago