Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
And if a white friend said they were getting the hell out of Logan Square and leaving to go raise their kids in Naperville, you'd say?
I couldn't care less. Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 08:51 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times
I'm always amused when some random poster on here always seems to know more than all these developers with millions who does it for a living. I guess you better tell them before they spend their billions. You could be a consultant!

Old 06-25-2017, 01:04 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I'm always amused when some random poster on here always seems to know more than all these developers with millions who does it for a living. I guess you better tell them before they spend their billions. You could be a consultant!
Developers can be wrong. Have you ever heard of shopping malls that fail and close?

Old 06-25-2017, 01:35 PM

123 posts, read 119,772 times
i am starting to see that any post in Chicago can lead to discussions of race and crime and risk being cleaned up and locked.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I couldn't care less. Huh?
Uh huh. Ok.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Uh huh. Ok.
I genuinely don't understand your (implied) point. Why would anyone care if someone left Logan Square.

Do you not understand the difference between a family fleeing Lawndale and a hipster leaving Logan Square?

The first, normal people would empathize with. The second, I can't imagine why anyone anywhere would care.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:35 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Developers can be wrong. Have you ever heard of shopping malls that fail and close?
But they are wrong at a far lower rate than you or any other random dude with an opinion. Name anyone or profession where everything is perfect and no mistakes are made? One mall out of thousands closing actually shows they know what they are doing. They take calculated risks. And malls close due to uncontrollable external factors that can't be predicted like the rise of ecommerce.

Your whole original post is ridiculous anyways. Do you have any data to back it up? What is the vacancy rate for office space downtown?? What is the population growth/loss for people with degrees in Chicago?! Do you have anything to back up your claims? You're smarter than developers after all.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
But they are wrong at a far lower rate than you or any other random dude with an opinion. Name anyone or profession where everything is perfect and no mistakes are made? One mall out of thousands closing actually shows they know what they are doing. They take calculated risks. And malls close due to uncontrollable external factors that can't be predicted like the rise of ecommerce.

Your whole original post is ridiculous anyways. Do you have any data to back it up? What is the vacancy rate for office space downtown?? What is the population growth/loss for people with degrees in Chicago?! Do you have anything to back up your claims? You're smarter than developers after all.
That is because these people have no idea what they're talking about.

They are going Chicken Little because the city is losing some population, mostly in areas they have never been to and no one they know has ever been to.

It's an ingenuine proposition at best and to really be worried about it requires appalling ignorance on how cities work and have been working for a long time.

In any event, I wish it was true so I could move into a new Lake Shore condo or buy a Lincoln Park or even West Town three flat, as is, ain't gonna happen, and I make pretty good money.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:28 PM

123 posts, read 119,772 times
This thread is proof that only rich white people are posting on this site. There are no arguments from minorities in this thread.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodmonths View Post
This thread is proof that only rich white people are posting on this site. There are no arguments from minorities in this thread.
What would the "argument" be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago