Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:44 PM

846 posts, read 1,391,373 times

Advertisements

Curious.

I live in Uptown and work in Oak Park.
It's 13 miles door to door.

If you were to ride on a bicycle there, what route would you take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 764,679 times
Wow that would be one hell of a bike ride! You must love Uptown to not move closer to your job. I know Uptown is a lot better than when I lived there in the early 90s. Maybe you can take Irving Park Road to Harlem then Harlem south to Oak Park

Old 06-25-2017, 06:12 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,346,769 times
Montrose to Narragansett......Narragansett south to Ridgeland much less traffic

Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 PM

846 posts, read 1,391,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Wow that would be one hell of a bike ride! You must love Uptown to not move closer to your job. I know Uptown is a lot better than when I lived there in the early 90s. Maybe you can take Irving Park Road to Harlem then Harlem south to Oak Park
I love my job, and my benefits (work in government).

However, in regards to the "you must love Uptown" ...I do. Actually it's more/less... my spouse will be getting knee replacement surgery and we needed an elevator building. We are in an amazing building with fantastic amenities and can't beat the price. We used to live about 10 min from work and it was a bore. Nothing to do, ever. We were spending all our free time by the lake. Might as well move... by the lake.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 764,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I love my job, and my benefits (work in government).

However, in regards to the "you must love Uptown" ...I do. Actually it's more/less... my spouse will be getting knee replacement surgery and we needed an elevator building. We are in an amazing building with fantastic amenities and can't beat the price. We used to live about 10 min from work and it was a bore. Nothing to do, ever. We were spending all our free time by the lake. Might as well move... by the lake.
Sounds nice. I used to live in an old 12 story building on Wilson between Broadway and Clark and even that place has changed I noticed recently just like the whole area for the most part has changed

Old 06-25-2017, 09:07 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,239,612 times
You're looking for three things: safety, bike lanes, and time.

Re:the first,when you are going that far west, the furthest e-w street south you'll want to take is Fullerton; anything south of that (at least major streets), dumps you in Austin

Re: bike lanes, I think a lot of that is available online, and there are definitely maps at bike stores like Kozy's.

Re: time, it is not likely to be too badly impacted by being diligent on the first two points, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Unfortunately there is no diagonal street running that way so it's a longer commute.

Unfortunately I don't think there are bike lanes on any e-w street that far north.

There are some farther south and I take them occasionally but it takes you straight through some of Chicago's worst neighborhoods.

These days though there night even be a commuting bike crowd as long as you're going during rush hours.

I can't remember which street had the nice lanes to Oak Park...at least some of the way...

Old 06-25-2017, 09:52 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,147,798 times
Other than the stretch from Western to the Kennedy, Addison is very residential and often only has one driving lane and one parking lane. Maybe that would make it more conducive for biking to work as drivers may be more aware of pedestrians or bikers than on Irving Park or Fullerton. There's still a fair amount of traffic on Addison, though.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Other than the stretch from Western to the Kennedy, Addison is very residential and often only has one driving lane and one parking lane. Maybe that would make it more conducive for biking to work as drivers may be more aware of pedestrians or bikers than on Irving Park or Fullerton. There's still a fair amount of traffic on Addison, though.
I see where you're coming from, but riding Addison sucks. I just did it this weekend.

The one thing about those northern streets is you can actually ride on the sidewalk most blocks; especially as you go farther west, the sidewalks are virtually empty.

But in terms of actually riding down a street..I don't know if I have any great advice.

I usually end up taking Belmont but I'm not sure it's really better than anything else.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:37 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,147,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I see where you're coming from, but riding Addison sucks. I just did it this weekend.

The one thing about those northern streets is you can actually ride on the sidewalk most blocks; especially as you go farther west, the sidewalks are virtually empty.

But in terms of actually riding down a street..I don't know if I have any great advice.

I usually end up taking Belmont but I'm not sure it's really better than anything else.
What about riding the sidewalks on Addison? I'm not a huge fan of riding in most streets without bike lanes, but I definitely prefer riding on residential sidewalks more than commercial ones.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
What about riding the sidewalks on Addison? I'm not a huge fan of riding in most streets without bike lanes, but I definitely prefer riding on residential sidewalks more than commercial ones.
Yeah I think it was OK...but riding that every day for a commute would probably get old quick.

I think if you really sat down with a bike lane map and played with which residential streets you could ride, you could probably figure out a decent way to do it...I just don't think there is really an easy answer.

I think the bike lane BTW was down Madison.

But you spend most of the ride through Garfield Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago