U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2017, 07:29 PM
 
1,025 posts, read 573,403 times
Reputation: 760

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
About what, that you can't compare the theater or fashion industry? OK.

Cleanliness -- yes, again, you can't compare it, Chicago is 100 times nicer and more clean.

One thing I've noticed about people who are really pro NYC is that they want everyone to acknowledge that NYC is THE BEST UNDER THE SUN IN EVERY RESPECT, I guess so they feel better about their $3,000 a month studio apartment.

It is definitely number one in a lot of respects; it is definitely not number one in some respects.

One obvious strike against it to anyone who has spent time there is that it is grimy and dirty.

It is what it is.

Obviously millions upon millions of rich people don't care and still want to live there.

That doesn't make it any less grimy and dirty.
After reading through all of the things said here and from what I have heard from so many others over the years there is no comparison. Chicago is the nicer more livable place for many reasons. I am not surprised it seems many New Yorkers move here or that in the case of my friend who was going to move there changed his mind after coming to Chicago
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2017, 10:11 AM
 
12 posts, read 88,826 times
Reputation: 37
not every bodega is lined with pigeon ****, but i have been smelling more human **** lately. Cant tell if its the rising homeless population or all the bull**** concerning the state of emergency recently declared on the MTA. 3rd world is a fitting discription. Dont know how often cta trains derail and shut down but thats been happening often lately. Or the construction drill that penetrated one of the subway tunnels and scalped an F train in manhattan a while back. Its problem concerning overpopulation. I guess the city taking in more people than it was ever intended to. 8.5 million people and growing. Its amazing really.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 06:11 PM
 
10,276 posts, read 8,352,718 times
Reputation: 10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Then you are misreading my post, which is about quality of attractions, not quantity (and certainly not some silly notion of "rivalry").

One of the advantages of Chicago is that you get access to some top-flight attractions, with less of the hassle of NYC living.
Yes, but you can say that about any two cities with dissimilar size.

"One of the advantages of Indianapolis is you get access to some top-flight attractions with less of the hassle of Chicago living". See how that works?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 06:19 PM
 
10,276 posts, read 8,352,718 times
Reputation: 10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I agree with parts of your post, but the place you are straight-up lying is regarding cleanliness.

NYC is absolutely disgusting compared to Chicago.
You aren't the first person to say this, but I have honestly no idea what you're talking about.

Chicago is filthy. It's probably more filthy than NYC, because like a third of the city is semi-abandoned, and those tend to be the dirtiest areas. Occupied areas are always less full of garbage and the like, because there aren't vacant lots and untended properties.

And even affluent parts of Chicago are dirty. I used to live Broadway/Belmont, and that area was disgusting on weekends. It looked like Bourbon Street in the morning. I have never lived in an NYC neighborhood as gross as Broadway/Belmont, and I've lived in different parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

All major U.S. cities are dirty. Anyone moving to a major U.S. city based on "cleanliness" is pretty much crazy, IMO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Seattle
7,473 posts, read 7,526,898 times
Reputation: 10493
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You aren't the first person to say this, but I have honestly no idea what you're talking about.

Chicago is filthy. It's probably more filthy than NYC, because like a third of the city is semi-abandoned, and those tend to be the dirtiest areas. Occupied areas are always less full of garbage and the like, because there aren't vacant lots and untended properties.

And even affluent parts of Chicago are dirty. I used to live Broadway/Belmont, and that area was disgusting on weekends. It looked like Bourbon Street in the morning. I have never lived in an NYC neighborhood as gross as Broadway/Belmont, and I've lived in different parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

All major U.S. cities are dirty. Anyone moving to a major U.S. city based on "cleanliness" is pretty much crazy, IMO.
No. Just no.

You are attempting to use a part of Chicago with a miniscule fraction of New York's population and an area no visitor would ever go to judge the city as a whole. And the areas you are talking about have a fraction of the population density of New York. Logic would suggest that less people=less trash. I think you are the only person in the world who thinks New York is cleaner than Chicago. There is trash everywhere in New York. Everywhere, including the most touristy and visitor-heavy spots.

Cleanliness shouldn't be a reason to move or not to move to a city, and there are plenty of world class cities that are dirty as hell, but come on. Chicago is the cleaner city, period.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 06:46 PM
 
1,025 posts, read 573,403 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
No. Just no.

You are attempting to use a part of Chicago with a miniscule fraction of New York's population and an area no visitor would ever go to judge the city as a whole. And the areas you are talking about have a fraction of the population density of New York. Logic would suggest that less people=less trash. I think you are the only person in the world who thinks New York is cleaner than Chicago. There is trash everywhere in New York. Everywhere, including the most touristy and visitor-heavy spots.

Cleanliness shouldn't be a reason to move or not to move to a city, and there are plenty of world class cities that are dirty as hell, but come on. Chicago is the cleaner city, period.
NOLA is clearly trolling. In all of these years not one person has ever said New York was cleaner or friendlier or nicer or better looking than Chicago
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 06:50 PM
 
10,276 posts, read 8,352,718 times
Reputation: 10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
No. Just no.

You are attempting to use a part of Chicago with a miniscule fraction of New York's population and an area no visitor would ever go to judge the city as a whole.
Like 30-40% of Chicago is declined or somewhat "ghetto" and generally filthy. If anything, this is pretty representative of the city. You can't discount the bad areas of Chicago when judging the city's overall cleanliness. NYC has bad areas too, of course, but not abandoned, empty areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Cleanliness shouldn't be a reason to move or not to move to a city, and there are plenty of world class cities that are dirty as hell, but come on. Chicago is the cleaner city, period.
No way. I honestly have no clue how someone would come to this conclusion.

Here is Broadway/Belmont, a "rich" area. Take a look around and tell me this area is "clean". I see plenty of garbage when panning around.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...!4d-87.6444035

Then compare to my current neighborhood, in Brooklyn.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/7t...!4d-73.9763295


I don't know how anyone could honestly claim this area is dirtier. Both are socioeconomically similar, BTW, and the Brooklyn neighborhood is much busier. Where is this alleged "dirtiness"?

Cities are gross, generally. They're heavily used. If you have a clean city, it's an empty city. Have never seen a city in the Western world that is actually vibrant and free of any visible waste.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
317 posts, read 801,670 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, but you can say that about any two cities with dissimilar size.

"One of the advantages of Indianapolis is you get access to some top-flight attractions with less of the hassle of Chicago living". See how that works?
Not necessarily.

Let's replace Indianapolis in your sample sentence with Cleveland. Now it makes sense. This is because Cleveland is endowed with a collection of absolutely first-class cultural offerings, some of them famous all over the country or even the world (like the orchestra and the main art museum, which are at a level of quality comparable to what you find in Chicago, Boston or Philadelphia). Indianapolis has some respectable attractions but they are not in the same class as Cleveland (at least based on what I've heard).

Yet Indianapolis is by far the bigger city, more than twice as large as Cleveland. It all depends on the character of the city as a whole, size of population being only one factor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Seattle
7,473 posts, read 7,526,898 times
Reputation: 10493
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Like 30-40% of Chicago is declined or somewhat "ghetto" and generally filthy. If anything, this is pretty representative of the city. You can't discount the bad areas of Chicago when judging the city's overall cleanliness. NYC has bad areas too, of course, but not abandoned, empty areas.
Your argument doesn't make sense. If an area is abandoned and empty, it may look bombed out and neglected, but not necessarily filthy. It takes humans to produce waste, and if people don't live somewhere, there isn't filth to produce.


Quote:
No way. I honestly have no clue how someone would come to this conclusion.

Here is Broadway/Belmont, a "rich" area. Take a look around and tell me this area is "clean". I see plenty of garbage when panning around.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...!4d-87.6444035

Then compare to my current neighborhood, in Brooklyn.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/7t...!4d-73.9763295


I don't know how anyone could honestly claim this area is dirtier. Both are socioeconomically similar, BTW, and the Brooklyn neighborhood is much busier. Where is this alleged "dirtiness"?
Are you kidding me? I see a pristine intersection on on Belmont and Broadway. I see a pile of crap on the western part of Berkeley Street in your streetview of Brooklyn. 175 N Berkeley. And a bunch of **** right in the middle of the intersection. It's plain to see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 08:45 PM
 
1,025 posts, read 573,403 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Your argument doesn't make sense. If an area is abandoned and empty, it may look bombed out and neglected, but not necessarily filthy. It takes humans to produce waste, and if people don't live somewhere, there isn't filth to produce.


Are you kidding me? I see a pristine intersection on on Belmont and Broadway. I see a pile of crap on the western part of Berkeley Street in your streetview of Brooklyn. 175 N Berkeley. And a bunch of **** right in the middle of the intersection. It's plain to see.
Belmont and Broadway is the Lakeview east area, that is always a very nice area
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top