Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:39 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,869,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And even affluent parts of Chicago are dirty. I used to live Broadway/Belmont, and that area was disgusting on weekends. It looked like Bourbon Street in the morning. I have never lived in an NYC neighborhood as gross as Broadway/Belmont, and I've lived in different parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
That is a bar area that hasn't seen much improvement in 30 years. Go six blocks west and you'll be in paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 10:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,119,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That is a bar area that hasn't seen much improvement in 30 years. Go six blocks west and you'll be in paradise.
Am I missing something? I looked at that street view and saw zero trash.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Not necessarily.

Let's replace Indianapolis in your sample sentence with Cleveland. Now it makes sense. This is because Cleveland is endowed with a collection of absolutely first-class cultural offerings, some of them famous all over the country or even the world (like the orchestra and the main art museum, which are at a level of quality comparable to what you find in Chicago, Boston or Philadelphia). Indianapolis has some respectable attractions but they are not in the same class as Cleveland (at least based on what I've heard).

Yet Indianapolis is by far the bigger city, more than twice as large as Cleveland. It all depends on the character of the city as a whole, size of population being only one factor.
I agree with you on Cleveland's cultural offerings, but:

32 Cleveland-Elyria, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,055,612 2,077,240 −1.04%
33 Columbus, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,041,520 1,901,974 +7.34%
34 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,004,230 1,887,877 +6.16%

Old 07-02-2017, 10:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 764,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
No I am in that area sometimes visiting family and it is very clean

Old 07-02-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
There's no trash, but Belmont and Clark/Broadway is still a little rough while the areas around it are all dolled up.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,240,388 times
Quote:
You aren't the first person to say this, but I have honestly no idea what you're talking about.

Chicago is filthy. It's probably more filthy than NYC, because like a third of the city is semi-abandoned, and those tend to be the dirtiest areas. Occupied areas are always less full of garbage and the like, because there aren't vacant lots and untended properties.

And even affluent parts of Chicago are dirty. I used to live Broadway/Belmont, and that area was disgusting on weekends. It looked like Bourbon Street in the morning. I have never lived in an NYC neighborhood as gross as Broadway/Belmont, and I've lived in different parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

All major U.S. cities are dirty. Anyone moving to a major U.S. city based on "cleanliness" is pretty much crazy, IMO.
Oh come on.

I realize you get some kind of thrill by coming in here and taking all the Chicago boosters down a peg, but this line of argument is just silly.

I'm not going to respond because it's not worthy of a response.

I don't know what motivates people to come onto an Internet forum and make statements like "Well, you, personally, can't at this exact moment prove the moon isn't made of green cheese."

But, here we have it.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,760,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Oh come on.

I realize you get some kind of thrill by coming in here and taking all the Chicago boosters down a peg, but this line of argument is just silly.

I'm not going to respond because it's not worthy of a response.

I don't know what motivates people to come onto an Internet forum and make statements like "Well, you, personally, can't at this exact moment prove the moon isn't made of green cheese."

But, here we have it.
Have you ever figured out why Nola spends so much time in the Chicago forum when he basically dislikes the place. Seems to me that given how awful and meaningless he thinks Chicago is, he wouldn't come to this forum at all. I have to ask: doesn't logic dictate that if you have no use for a place that you basically have no interest in it and therefore you would not frequent a forum that is about it?

Old 07-03-2017, 08:41 AM

1,022 posts, read 764,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Have you ever figured out why Nola spends so much time in the Chicago forum when he basically dislikes the place. Seems to me that given how awful and meaningless he thinks Chicago is, he wouldn't come to this forum at all. I have to ask: doesn't logic dictate that if you have no use for a place that you basically have no interest in it and therefore you would not frequent a forum that is about it?
I said he was a troll earlier. It was so obvious

Old 07-03-2017, 08:48 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,489,873 times
There is a restaurant in Wicker Park called Mott Street, the guy was talking about it on Check Please (restaurant tv show).. said its named after the famous Mott St in New York and the vibe around that area (Wicker Park) was a lot like New York.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:58 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,116,350 times
Quote:
Yes, but you can say that about any two cities with dissimilar size.

"One of the advantages of Indianapolis is you get access to some top-flight attractions with less of the hassle of Chicago living". See how that works?
That doesn't fly. There are dozens, just off the top of my head, of things in Chicago that have no comparable equivalent in Indy. Yes, Indy is a large city and it has some large-city things. BUT, you don't get anywhere near the amount of national-level, let along international-level things in Indy that you can get in Chicago. Now, yes, New York has more things than Chicago. And there are things in New York that have no comparison in Chicago. But the ratio is radically closer in a NYC-Chicago comparison than a Chicago-Indy comparison. Just one significant thing is that you can live a lifestyle in Chicago that is comparable to a typical New York lifestyle.

That's not true of Indy. Just at the very basic - I live in Chicago with no car, in a dense neighborhood where I can walk for basic needs and take the subway to many other parts of the city, I can walk to work, and live a life that does not feel at all impeded by a lack of a car. Now, there are far more parts of New York you can do that in than in Chicago, but it's a possible thing to do in Chicago - I do it.

But in Indy, you would feel very constricted without a car and the area you could possibly do it in Indy without a *daily* feeling of disenfranchisement still would leave you frequently feeling like you're unable to take advantage of large parts of what Indy does have to offer. Here in Chicago, though, I *rarely* feel like I'm missing out not having a car where I live. I can fill all my basic needs without a car, and nearly all of my wants. I honestly can't remember the last time I missed out on something I wanted to do because of the lack of a car. In Indy that would never be true unless you were the world's most boring person, with the world's most tame desires.

Quote:
Here is Broadway/Belmont, a "rich" area. Take a look around and tell me this area is "clean". I see plenty of garbage when panning around.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...!4d-87.6444035

Then compare to my current neighborhood, in Brooklyn.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/7t...!4d-73.9763295

I don't know how anyone could honestly claim this area is dirtier. Both are socioeconomically similar, BTW, and the Brooklyn neighborhood is much busier. Where is this alleged "dirtiness"?
Are you even looking at the same links you gave us? There is visible litter on the ground in your Brooklyn streetview. I don't see *any* visible litter in the Chicago one. Neither streetview is filthy, both are reasonably clean for a major city. But there is visible litter in the New York one, and no visible litter in the Chicago one. You're hallucinating if you don't see that difference. You want more examples? Look at Dyckman Street in the far north of Manhattan - quite messy. Of another part of Brooklyn. If you're going to cherry-pick we could be here all year. I don't personally think New York is horribly dirty anymore, but it is messier than Chicago. I think that's just because it's so much more dense than Chicago, but reasons or not, it's still messier.

Also - and you have zero defense on this - curb-side garbage in New York. There might be a grand total of five blocks in Chicago where you might see that. In New York? There might be a grand total of five blocks where you DON'T see that. I mean, seriously. And heaven help you when the gargabe men go on strike or there's a snowstorm and they can't collect, then the garbage just piles up. On the sidewalk. With the rats. I mean, that alone puts New York way outside of being comparable to Chicago for cleanliness. Come ON.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I see a pristine intersection on on Belmont and Broadway. I see a pile of crap on the western part of Berkeley Street in your streetview of Brooklyn. 175 N Berkeley. And a bunch of **** right in the middle of the intersection. It's plain to see.
Yeah, NOLA is either hallucinating or a troll. There's really just no other explanation. New York is a lot cleaner than it was 40 years ago, but Chicago is cleaner still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago