Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 04:36 PM

123 posts, read 119,811 times

Advertisements

Do you think Chicago embraces the fact that we live on the largest body of fresh water in the world?

I feel like we are focused on our parks and architecture but is there more ways we should focus on lake Michigan when it comes to tourism and recreation?

I feel we are not doing enough to make out shorline natural and show how we need it.

Our shorline is to industrial for example north avenue beach can't there be a better way than all the concrete and iron to stop erosion ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Educate yourself.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...onproject.html

Chicago District > Missions > Civil Works Projects > Chicago Shoreline

Old 07-03-2017, 10:24 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
I think the city does do a very good job with the lakefront, but does not promote enough in terms of tourism. I think visitors are sometimes surprised by just how active the beaches are in summer.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Thanks I looked at this but I do believe i am educated. We built the infrastructure for erosion because we destroyed the natural lake front in the 19th century we were pushing garbage and dead bodies into the lake for landfill.

I believe that we can make north ave beach more natural looking something like how St. Joseph beach looks. We need to get rid of all the concrete piers and the steel barriers that are an eye store and think of a different way to sop erosion.

There are some projects like one for oak street beach

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...round-oak-ohio

I think something needs to be done with north ave beach it needs to be pushed out at least one quarter of a mile knock down the nasty party boat and build a more beautiful clubhouse with showers and bathrooms that can accommodate more people.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM

888 posts, read 805,753 times
I see Chicago Great Lakes as the title so I'm wondering where this could go as there's only one Great Lake by Chicago. On top of that the person is wondering when people in Chicago will embrace living on Lake Superior("largest body of fresh water in the world").

Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 PM

its about how Chicago needs to embrace the great lakes more than what it already does. I believe that Chicago is seen as the city by a lake but totally overshadows the lake. For instance the Chicago river is talked about more than lake Michigan and navvy pier is talked about more than lake Michigan but what can we do to make lake Michigan more of a natural attraction to the city. I feel the beaches are concrete beaches.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:16 PM

888 posts, read 805,753 times
Do people really want a slice of lake when they visit Chicago? How about a Chicago style hot lake(no ketchup of course)? The Chicago lakes won the World Series last year lets go see them. The museum of lake and lake. The lake museum of natural lake. And Shedds has got to have something to do with lakes.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Citizens of Chicago would be surprised to learn they do not live on the largest body of fresh water in the world. Michigan is #5.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_by_area

Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM

i think a nice beach would be a great add on with a beach style boardwalk, I living in chicago wish i had a better beach when i want to go to the beach i goto indiana sand dunes. I live close to monntrose beach it is always dirty there is a dog beach to the north and a bird beach to the south so you are swimming in poop.

I think we need to do something about north avenue beach make it more like St Joseph beach in michigan if you have ever been there make it look natural and inviting to tourist and people who live here.

you should have one beach day when you come to chicago in the summer we should provide that.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Citizens of Chicago would be surprised to learn they do not live on the largest body of fresh water in the world. Michigan is #5.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_by_area
ok , sorry but the great lakes are all connected. try again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago