U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM

37 posts, read 47,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Misery loves company. You would know. You have lived in the "miserable" city for ten years and now you decide to move.

I thought there were no "goodbye" posts on this site?
Funny how your first post on this site rips all over the city and then you say you are moving.

Did you seek this site out just to talk trash? It sure seems to be the case.
Oh my... never said city was miserable, I'm not miserable, I was only stating facts of what I've experienced in Chicago (If you read my post I did post several pro's and con's) and I was answering the posters question and giving my opinion. You aren't by chance drinking alcohol while typing are you?

The real question is "why are you so hostile and angry towards me for mentioning negative experiences I've had in Chicago?"

Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,817,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womaninchicago View Post
Oh my... never said city was miserable, I'm not miserable...

Are you related to Triton?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Gosh, I lived in what many considered to be the safest neighborhood in Chicago, and everyone I know had to deal with some sort of crime eventually. Whether it was a stolen bike, or the doorman stealing checks and chasing them, or someone trying to break into their apartment. Some people just had minor stuff, others were not as lucky.

Over a ten year period, I would be really surprised if someone didn't have something happen. I doesn't surprise me the some people are victims of crime more often.

Anthera - I have no idea why all these people on here are so angry that I don't want to live in Chicago 'cause I don't want to deal with crime/rude people and bad weather anymore. Its weird, it's like all of them are just proving my point over and over.

Accusing me of making up this stuff when, like you said almost EVERYONE has had something done to them. Which reminds me, I also had a doorman steal a package. He stole a bunch of packages and took off. That alone has happened to so many people.

I definitely have had a lot of great experiences here, but I can have them in lots of cities. I'd rather live in a city that's friendlier and has less crime. Apparently that makes me a miserable person

Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Are you related to Triton?
When the day comes ('cause it surely will) that either you or someone you care about is violated in this city, your going to remember this online conversation and feel like crap. Karma.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Avengerfire quote: "I have to say that about two-thirds to half of the city in terms of land area is totally unsafe to unsafe."

That is a quote from you from the "How safe is your Chicago" thread.

Interesting. Complete contradiction of everything you just said here. If two thirds to half of the City is unsafe in your viewpoint, then why would anyone live here? Why are you calling me a liar for all the crimes I've mentioned?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
When the day comes ('cause it surely will) that either you or someone you care about is violated in this city, your going to remember this online conversation and feel like crap. Karma.
Very bad things have happened to several people I know or have known over the years. Does it make me afraid to live my life? No.

I was born in Chicago. I have known there are negative aspects since I was a child. I refuse to live in fear. I refuse to stereotype a whole city based on a few negative experiences.

Every city,town, or bumble stump holler in the country has its dark side and negative aspects.

Come back when you find one that does not. You will not ever find one that does not.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 PM

109 posts, read 187,788 times
Quote:
You must be really young, not have family or a career to think about that you think it's easy to just pick up and move.
Just because you will tolerate a city you do not enjoy for a job, or family doesn't mean I or someone would do the same thing. You might want to think before you type as well... to answer your question though - I did have a career where I was from - gave it up, and I also have 2 children that live somewhere else. Machaela is my oldest, and Alexia is my youngest, oh how sweet they are, and I cannot wait for them to come visit and enjoy everything I have enjoyed in just the little time I have been here. I do not make decisions in my life based on other people. If I am not happy, I am gone, and once again - simple as that.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Avengerfire quote: "I have to say that about two-thirds to half of the city in terms of land area is totally unsafe to unsafe."

That is a quote from you from the "How safe is your Chicago" thread.

Interesting. Complete contradiction of everything you just said here. If two thirds to half of the City is unsafe in your viewpoint, then why would anyone live here? Why are you calling me a liar for all the crimes I've mentioned?
Because I dont live in those crap areas and I avoid going into them and through them as much as I can.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdsys View Post
Just because you will tolerate a city you do not enjoy for a job, or family doesn't mean I or someone would do the same thing. You might want to think before you type as well...

I'm not tolerating it, that's why I'm moving. When you own property, have to find a job to support your family, find a place to live... it doesn't happen overnight. You are obvioulsy very young or don't have much responsibility.

Why would you tell ME to think before I type? It's pretty obvious that I do.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,256,988 times
I think that what happens in our lives when we live in a city will color our feelings for that city. I have always loved Chicago and always will. I deeply miss living downtown. Any of the minor crime I experienced while living there was far outweighed by how happy I was with my job, graduate school and my relationships.

That said, it does not surprise my the someone who had numerous bad experiences would feel badly about Chicago. I think its a good idea to make a fresh start someplace else, where you can have a new beginning.

I don't know why some of the posters are so upset. Aren't personal attacks against the forum rules?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago