Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which government do you think is worse & more dysfunctional
State of Illinois 46 73.02%
United States 17 26.98%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:09 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,551,152 times

Advertisements

So, it's settled. Illinois is worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 769,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
So, it's settled. Illinois is worse.
Illinois is by far the worse!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:16 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,551,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Illinois is by far the worse!
I just saw my paycheck today. It's noticeably less than I expected thanks to these crooked politicians.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I just saw my paycheck today. It's noticeably less than I expected thanks to these crooked politicians.

Welcome too Illinois. The crooked politicians will bend you over endlessly and laugh while doing so

Old 07-22-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
And the evil mayor of Chicago who passed that stupid bag tax claiming it is to get people to stop using bags to help the environment is now crying that not enough people are using bags and that the city is not making enough money from this tax as he had hoped!

Now they still want to pass the sugar drink tax! Plus they have those stupid red light cameras and funny thing is the city now has to pay out millions over that now lol. And how about the tolls we have to pay and yet we have the worst roads in america. Wisconsin has no tolls and look at how nice the roads there are.

I have mentioned here before about a guy in Florida who came to Chicago last year with his parents and sister and he fell so in love with it he is coming here soon to look for a place to live. Even his sister was thinking of moving here as well. But after hearing from me about what has been going on here with the new taxes on top of the rest of the high cost of living here and all the corruption and about all of the endless violence that keeps getting worse the sister finally decided not too move here and I get the feeling my friend who could not wait too move here is starting to wonder if it is a good idea.

It is sad. The population keeps dropping and now people that want to live here or move here can't

Old 07-23-2017, 11:14 AM

29,449 posts, read 19,545,363 times
They are both bad, big and over -bloated governments. But in a financial sense, Illinois is far worse.

Wallet hub in 2017, puts Illinois at 51st worst state to be a tax payer (behind all including DC).

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...taxpayer/2416/

As soon as I can, I am out. Likely 10 years if all goes as planned... Florida, Texas or AZ will be one of my destinations. Already own a home in San Antonio.

Let me add one of the biggest reasons as to why I am moving

Quote:
Between 2000 and 2015, the total property taxes Illinois local governments collected doubled.

Household incomes in Illinois, in contrast, only grew 31 percent over that time period
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/prope...-pay-for-them/

In 2002 the property taxes on my house were 3800. Now over 10,000.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 07-23-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 10:08 AM

29,449 posts, read 19,545,363 times
This study puts Illinois at #49 worst in fiscal condition

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

Old 07-25-2017, 10:22 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,417,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
At least Texas politicians don't tax people out of their homes and destroy the economy to offer obscene pensions to union state workers in exchange for votes.
You should see what the Houston Firefighters Union is doing right now with a proposition on November's ballot. The police/firefighter unions and their GOP backers are doing the same thing that you accuse IL Dem politicians are making. Didn't the same thing happen during M. Daley's administration? I'm surprised that Police and Firefighters Unions still exist and are even supported by GOP politicians in this anti-union state.

If this was another profession in the state/local governments, the retirees would be SOL with low pay during their working years and a false promise of a secure retirement with a funded pension. That's the page in the ALEC playbook that Rauner is trying to bring from the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Really, than why is Greg Abbott trying to reform the property tax laws (and he is keeping a list of those who oppose him - I guess he thinks he is Santa)

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/07...ecial-session/

Genius wants to give teachers a $1000 bonus, but the state would not pay for it and strapped school districts would need to come up with the money. It's great to give the teachers raises, but unfunded mandates don't cut it.
Typical cut-and-borrow GOP. It's no wonder there is a National Debt again since Dubya took office and it's only getting higher.

No matter the cosmetic procedures their former Enron alumni and former Arthur Andersen auditor hires make on Texas' books, the politicians can't hide the Texas financial crisis for much longer with gimmicks. Just look at the huge gap on the new Crosby Freeway over Greens Bayou and the unbuilt Purple Sage Road overpass. Even building the freeway was a miracle because money had to be shifted around accounts to pour the concrete, even though the land ROW was acquired decades ago. Another example are the tolled overpasses on the Grand Parkway in Fort Bend County.

Just look at Kane County's investment that passed back in November on improving the parks. Texas' developer-driven urban planning doesn't allow for such parks to the extent found in Chicagoland's woods. There are a couple places in Houston like Busse Woods but they are really flood control structures that become parks when it's dry. Chicago has spaces for nature while Texas strives to develop (and pave over) as much land as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
https://empowertexans.com/around-tex...roperty-taxes/

It is mainly in areas with a lot of Dummycraps as always in particular Fort Bend County near Houston where they are also fighting against local sanctuary cities. Most of the area have a lower effective tax rate than most places in Illinois in addition to having no income tax and lower sales tax. Also the home values are lower.
Fort Bend County is a hotbed of blue in this red state? That's news to me, a Cinco Ranch and Northern Fort Bend County resident. It's about 50/50 within Cinco Ranch, Grand Lakes, and Seven Meadows with all these American transplants and former Austinites but the Tea Partiers live in the cheaper pop-up subdivisions that surround the area (and the Harris County side). It probably was true 10 years ago that Cinco Ranch was the highest taxed area in Texas, but there are areas in Austin and Dallas that have outdone Katy.

The only Democratic strongholds in this county are along the Harris County line and Missouri City. Central (Meadows Place, Stafford, Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenberg) and Southern (Pleak and Needville) Fort Bend are Republican strongholds.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,417,945 times
Trump just attacked transgenders to get back at the Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal.

Here in Texas they're debating the bathroom bill. Probably to distract attention from the dire financial situation of the state.

At least you're tackling the problem. But too bad your governor didn't even make minimum payments and got yourselves into default. Very Trumpian of him, typical GOPer act, to stick the creditors with the debt. But that was the plan from the ALEC playbook to undermine Blue states!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,384,011 times
He accepted the advice of his generals vs pandering to LGBT activists.

Quote:
Iraq combat vet and wounded warrior J.R. Salzman is certain "war is no place for people who are mentally, emotionally, or physically confused or in turmoil."

Combat Vet Gives Powerful Testimony Against Trans Troops | Daily Wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago