Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:14 AM

76 posts, read 95,695 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I live in Chicago and drive a car which I make payments on, but whose license plate is registered to another state, and registered to my dad who lives in that state.

Recently he told me I needed to pay a ticket for a speeding camera (I was 11 over, so $100). However when i logged on it shows that I have two more tickets at the same location. I cant recall ever seeing a sign there and since I have been taking that route to work recently, there is a chance I may have 3 more of those tickets for a total of $600.

Is there any way I can get these reduced or something?

Any chance I could just not pay them since the car is registered in another state and they cant find it to boot it (since they dont know its my car)?

I think these tickets are a scam, as evidenced by the recent lawsuit forcing chicago to pay back about $40 million to people who paid these fines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:44 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Basically, no.

There's a time limit on how long you have to contest a ticket (usually 30 days)--and the registered owner has to do it. So you'd need your dad to do the work for you.

Occasionally the city offers ticket 'amnesty' periods, whereby you can pay the original fine but not pay any late fees or court fees that may have been tacked on. There's no telling when the next one might occur though.

In the meantime....what do you mean there's no way for them to find your car? Traffic enforcement vehicles drive all over the city capturing license plates with cameras and running them through the city's computers. If they come across your license plate, computers will alert them to your outstanding tickets, and they will boot your car or tow it. Although I think they only boot if you have more than three tickets, so maybe you could pay just one ticket, to keep your total record below the boot threshold.

There is an inter-state agreement that states share driving records with each other. All states except Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin participate in this agreement. It's not like they will issue a warrant for your dad and hunt him down. The agreement allows for 3 things: 1)your dad couldn't renew car registration without paying the tickets and any associated fees; 2)your dad wouldn't be able to renew his driver's license without paying them; 3)the speeding tickets would be added to your dad's driving record, and may affect his insurance. The 5 states that don't officially participate in this agreement still share information, they just aren't obligated to.

Welcome to the very, very long line of 20-somethings who figured they could save sooooo much money by keeping their car registered with their parents in Iowa or wherever. How much did you really save? Enough to cover the cost of these tickets? Maybe it's time to be a grown up and assume responsibility for your car along with everything else you do.

P.S....there is no requirement that a sign be posted where speed or red-light cameras are located. You are expected to obey the speed limit and intersection signals all the time.

Last edited by MarianRavenwood; 08-31-2017 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 11:52 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Pay them immediately. It will only get worse.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
No, pay up

Old 08-31-2017, 03:29 PM

529 posts, read 646,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post

P.S....there is no requirement that a sign be posted where speed or red-light cameras are located. You are expected to obey the speed limit and intersection signals all the time.
True, those speed and red light cameras are awful, but either don't drive like an ******* or move.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:49 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
"P.S....there is no requirement that a sign be posted where speed or red-light cameras are located........"

Read 9-12-075, signs are required.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=aml egal:chicago_il_m

and

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...forcement.html

Select AUTOMATED SPEED ENFORCEMENT SIGNAGE

Old 09-04-2017, 01:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Don't act like you can't afford it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinjobra View Post
Hey guys, so a bit of a background on me - I'm a 29 year old single guy, make about $100k, have a car and commute daily for work out of the city towards Indiana

Old 09-04-2017, 05:15 PM

76 posts, read 95,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Don't act like you can't afford it:
I would be making this thread even if I made $1 million a year. $100k isn't much.

Anyways, the rich don't get there by pissing away money. I have gotten out of many fines/loopholes by asking questions just like this.

Also, it's fairly petty of you to go through my post history, take the time to quote something, copy/paste it, and post in this thread for nothing more than to gain some obscure sense of self satisfaction by attempting to make an anonymous person feel bad on an internet forum.. You must live a sad life. Hope things get better for you.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:47 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
I would be making this thread even if I made $1 million a year. $100k isn't much.

Anyways, the rich don't get there by pissing away money. I have gotten out of many fines/loopholes by asking questions just like this.

Also, it's fairly petty of you to go through my post history, take the time to quote something, copy/paste it, and post in this thread for nothing more than to gain some obscure sense of self satisfaction by attempting to make an anonymous person feel bad on an internet forum.. You must live a sad life. Hope things get better for you.
ROTFL

No, you are the person that just 'peed away their money' by fraudulently registering your car in another state to save a few dollars.

Time to start paying your bills, buddy.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:

Nah, I'm fine. It's just that greed offends me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago