Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2024, 09:26 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Good day, everyone.

I made a trip down yesterday. I needed to pick up some merchandise for my business, in the Humboldt Park area.

I stopped at a Marianos near North and Damen. As you know it was sunny, but at times rather windy and chilly. I saw a family of 5 from Venezuela, outside of it on the sidewalk asking for help. I offered to buy them something from the deli. I picked up a party tray of crackers, cheese and meat. I was a bit taken aback when the little girl in the family told me, "I don't like this."... Oh, well!

Stopped at Ignotz on 24th and Oakley for some nice pizza and a couple of glasses of wine. I took the leftovers because I knew I would pass someone else in a similar situation. I pulled over by a gas station on Western and Fullerton. I got out to give a mother and her 3 young kids the pizza... The mother was sitting on the ground, asleep. I couldn't wake her up, and I left the box of pizza next to her. One of her young kids was walking nearby on the sidewalk and selling, you guessed it: candy bars and gum.

Have there been episodes of these kids getting robbed, or Heaven forbid: abducted or molested???

I heard that some migrants were getting "evicted" from their shelters?

My heart DOES go out to these little kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Chicago started enforcing the 60 day limit on shelter stays last weekend. But I believe children and their mothers were exempt, temporarily, from the evictions.

At some point they are supposed to find their way - they can't expect to be given free housing for an unlimited time.

It's sad, I hope some of this news gets back to their home, so people understand the free ride is not forever, and they await harsh realities.

As for abductions/crimes, not sure but I've seen some stories of them being both perpetrators and victims, on occasion. Not sure it's a rampant issue though.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:37 AM

189 posts, read 309,047 times
I think there will be efforts to get them relocated to other parts of Illinois to cut down on the financial burden on Chicago.

You may have heard that Tyson is offering to hire migrants in New York, and I suspect that will become a trend nationwide, so there may be some that leave the Chicago area for locations where they are promised jobs.

Getting off topic a bit, let me elaborate on my prediction for companies offering jobs to migrants. They might be offered what sounds like good pay, but they will be exploited. Fees for company provided housing and transportation to and from work will be taken out of their paychecks. Daycare and maybe even schooling for kids might be offered, all at a cost, leaving employees with little cash in hand. We may not see the return of company towns, but rather employers leasing apartment buildings and hotels, then subleasing them to migrant employees. There will likely be a company store for groceries that they end up owing their souls to.

If I could put a positive spin on this somehow, I would. Apologies, Master Jay.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:08 PM

Kmanshouse, so for some families, the father is going to be separated?!? NOT GOOD.

I hope the men out there don't turn to anything criminal, in the hopes of having food and housing!!!!

Old 03-21-2024, 12:11 PM

blickcd,

Thanking you for sharing.

Hey, we try to be as positive as we can!

Enjoy your day, my friend.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:16 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
I think there will be efforts to get them relocated to other parts of Illinois to cut down on the financial burden on Chicago.

You may have heard that Tyson is offering to hire migrants in New York, and I suspect that will become a trend nationwide, so there may be some that leave the Chicago area for locations where they are promised jobs.

Getting off topic a bit, let me elaborate on my prediction for companies offering jobs to migrants. They might be offered what sounds like good pay, but they will be exploited. Fees for company provided housing and transportation to and from work will be taken out of their paychecks. Daycare and maybe even schooling for kids might be offered, all at a cost, leaving employees with little cash in hand. We may not see the return of company towns, but rather employers leasing apartment buildings and hotels, then subleasing them to migrant employees. There will likely be a company store for groceries that they end up owing their souls to.

If I could put a positive spin on this somehow, I would. Apologies, Master Jay.
I'd say that your post is quite prophetic. For all the blue collar union workers out there always voting for the Democratic Party thinking that they're looking out for the little guy, give this a little thought. Who's jobs are going to be lost when companies are LEGALLY allowed to hire ILLEGAL immigrants? (Talk about a sentence that sounds crazy, but is true).

These blue cities/states are going to reach a breaking point, if they haven't already. Both financially as well as to providing safe shelter for their existing homeless and all the "newcomers". The choices are few: (1) Start deporting them or (2) Find a way for these immigrants to support themselves. If choice #2 is what is decided, heaven help those existing citizens living day to day that wish to support themselves (without total reliance on welfare) when there aren't any blue collar jobs available at a decent wage. The odds of finding affordable housing will also be out of reach for them.

It's going to get much worse before it may get better.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:10 AM

Good day, I am ready for someone to put me in my place...

I took my cousin down for a trip to Chicago on Tuesday. Tuesday was bit of a bitter cold, wet, windy day. We encountered 3 situations of Venezuelans.

Before I go on, please understand that I don't believe people should give, because they want something in return...

But we contributed food in each case, and the reactions, I felt, was "indifferent".

I'm NOT asking anyone to jump up and praise me for being me!!! But the reactions just struck me so much like a, "Meh, I could take it or leave it..."

So I need someone to straighten me out on this.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago