Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:06 AM

6,704 posts, read 6,408,891 times

Advertisements

I doubt they'll go outside the US. They'll want the ability for workers to easily travel and/or transfer between offices. Dealing with passports and citizenship issues would be troublesome.

The more I think about it, DC seems like a really good bet, especially since Bezos recently purchased a 23 million dollar home there...

Jeff Bezos buys $23 million mansion in Washington DC - Business Insider

Old 09-09-2017, 07:34 AM

1,067 posts, read 900,944 times
Alright so say Chicago lands Amazon HQ2...where do they put it? They're gonna give them land but where? It has to be in Cook county and specifically the city of Chicago to attract the talent Bezos wants and to go along with Rahm

US Steel plant at 8080 S Lakeshore drive - 30 minutes from Midway but prob too far south and out of action

Goose Island - I think this is the perfect spot for Amazon and I bet they open up the entire Island to them. Close to downtown and the blue line. Bezos will love being along two branches of the river too to build some amazing high rises and a self contained Amazon island!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:44 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,165,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Alright so say Chicago lands Amazon HQ2...where do they put it? They're gonna give them land but where? It has to be in Cook county and specifically the city of Chicago to attract the talent Bezos wants and to go along with Rahm

US Steel plant at 8080 S Lakeshore drive - 30 minutes from Midway but prob too far south and out of action

Goose Island - I think this is the perfect spot for Amazon and I bet they open up the entire Island to them. Close to downtown and the blue line. Bezos will love being along two branches of the river too to build some amazing high rises and a self contained Amazon island!
The land in the south loop, Goose island, west loop or Michael Reese has already been suggested.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:20 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,583,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
The land in the south loop, Goose island, west loop or Michael Reese has already been suggested.
Old Post Office too, it's already being rehabbed for a tenant. And there is a massive proposal for surrounding office towers.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:11 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,133,022 times
Quote:

The blocks and blocks of parking lots around United Center.

Minutes to the loop, blocks from 290 expressway and 2 rail lines

Old 09-09-2017, 02:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 900,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
The blocks and blocks of parking lots around United Center.

Minutes to the loop, blocks from 290 expressway and 2 rail lines
I completely agree. West Loop / East Garfield Park has tons of open land or old manufacturing facilities and tons of transportation options. Google just put an office in West Loop. Goose Island is way more sexy of a location though so I'd rank it (1) Goose Island and (2) near United Center. The old post office will not work...it's an ugly/dated looking building that Bezos will not want. I think he wants to build something brand new and innovative.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:00 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,583,283 times
Quote:
I completely agree. West Loop / East Garfield Park has tons of open land or old manufacturing facilities and tons of transportation options. Google just put an office in West Loop. Goose Island is way more sexy of a location though so I'd rank it (1) Goose Island and (2) near United Center. The old post office will not work...it's an ugly/dated looking building that Bezos will not want. I think he wants to build something brand new and innovative.
Ugly and beautiful is somewhat subjective. But the to me the old post office is NOT ugly. It's fantastic. Just very neglected.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:45 PM

672 posts, read 752,022 times
This is a great discussion. I'd contend that the south's regressive social politics will be as big an impeding factor for its cities as illinois's dysfunction is for Chicago. Boston is Chi's biggest rival, I'd say.

If Chicago does land Amazon, the Old Post Office is a plum place for it. Commuter rail, the Blue Ljne, the bus interchange, plus it's a grand old building being given a modern makeover.

All that said, this is a seriously cynical move by Bezos. Race to the bottom stuff.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:51 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,227,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
This is a great discussion. I'd contend that the south's regressive social politics will be as big an impeding factor for its cities as illinois's dysfunction is for Chicago. Boston is Chi's biggest rival, I'd say.

If Chicago does land Amazon, the Old Post Office is a plum place for it. Commuter rail, the Blue Ljne, the bus interchange, plus it's a grand old building being given a modern makeover.

All that said, this is a seriously cynical move by Bezos. Race to the bottom stuff.
I agree with the bold. However they may overlook the dysfunction of Illinois for the talent issues of the south, Austin and Atlanta being exceptions. I think Chet or someone else alluded to it earlier but this 2nd HQ isn't going to bring just tech "support" type of jobs. They are looking for the inventors, scientists (data, machine learning, etc) and builders (software engineers) behind their offerings and products. They'll be looking for Product Managers to get the products developed and pushed to the market. UI/UX designers to design it. Business Developers to work with other businesses to get their platforms integrated and on and on. Rahm pushing for this kind of technical innovation in the city via startups and whatnot, has developed a nice homegrown talent pool for Amazon to choose from.

Unfortunately some parts of the south have given themselves a not-so-good rep with all of the vitriol spewed towards education/innovation, particularly with this last election. Then other areas are still waiting for coal so that narrows the list even more. I'm sure Amazon is aware they will have to recruit talent from elsewhere no matter where they land but surely they want to mitigate that by placing themselves among the best local talent pool too.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:48 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,227,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Chicago will bid for Amazon's second headquarters — and its 50,000 jobs - Chicago Tribune

Chicago is officially in the running. One thing I like about Rahm is that he will vigorously fight for opportunities like this. I just hope Friends of the Parking Lots don't try to stick their tentacles into anything should something come to fruition.
Yes...if we give them enough tax breaks they'll come and Chicago will get NOTHING from them for a decade, at which time they'll relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago